best source for R134a capacity and correct PAG oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for R134a capacity and correct PAG oil for 96 Ford F150 4.9. I am installing a new a/c compressor, drier ect. The capacity sticker on the old drier is worn off. Also, where is the best R134a deal right now?

Originally Posted By: Rand
are you sure it used r134a? I know 1993 used r-12

yes, the switch was in the 94 MY Vehicles. OP's Truck is a 96

Have you flushed out the system with the right chemical? If you haven't, old oil will remain in the system, as well as pieces of the old compressor. You will be doing the same job again in a very short period of time.

A/C PAG oils typically have 3 viscosities, ISO 46, ISO 100, and ISO 150. I like how one poster recommeded going directly to a Ford dealer for the correct oil.

Do you know if the dealer can get you a new refrigerant system label? I would imagine the government would want such things to be easy to get, because refrigerants can cause environmental damage.

My friend is an experienced mechanic and will flush the system first.

I'm going to call a Ford parts department and have them double check on the oil recommendation. I'm getting the replacement compressor, drier, oraface tube and seals for $140 from rockauto. These are certainly not genuine Ford parts, but this ford is genuinely 18 years old.

Last edited:
Ok,
After talking with a Ford Dealership parts dept......They say 33 oz of R134a for the 1996 f150 and 38 oz for the F350, along with 7 oz PAG oil, 46 weight. I also picked up a quart of AC system flush. Thanks for all the input here, a parts guy at NAPA told me "just use PAG 100 its fine for any vehicle" dont thinl ill take that advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back