BMW / GM transmission - need fluid spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Need to do a drain/flush on my e46. the trans is the GM model A5S390R and the fluid it calls for is Texaco
ETL 8072B. I cant find any "specification" for the transfluid like with the oil, so Im lost on this one.

I would like to find the cheapest thing i can that meets requirements, just to do multiple 4quart flushes over the next 2000 miles. then i will pull the pan and replace the fluid with something higher end like redline. (or whatever the best is at the current time)

anyone out there got in suggestions on this one?

looks like this transmission was used in several models of cars, and the 04 cadillac cts (same trans) uses dexron 3. so i guess i can go with cheaper 3 for the flushes and then dexron 6 for the good stuff?

8072B was superseded by Dex VI
Amsoil ATL would be my choice. Do a line off exchange and be done with it.

Last edited:
Found this online
Automatic Transmission Fluid - ETL-8072B - 1 Liter
Part #: 83222163514 (83-22-2-163-514)
This Genuine BMW ATF fluid - is the equivalent to Texaco ETL-8072B or Dexron VI. It is designed to work on newer BMWs with Automatic transmissions. It fits BMW E90 328i 328xi 328i xDrive. E82 128i. E83 X3 3.0si
You MUST check your transmission label to ensure this is the proper fluid for your car. Interchangable with 83220397114
This item fits the following BMWs:
2008+ E82 BMW 128i
2008+ E9X BMW 328i 328xi 328i xDrive
2007-2011 E83 BMW X3 3.0si X3 xDrive30i
Shipping Dimensions: 6 X 3 X 3
Shipping Weight: 3.00
Price: $11.95 (USD)

offline exchange?

if your refering to a transmission flush, thats a big no with these. lots of people have problems and so far the ones who havent have done it the way im going to (several smaller changes)

used the shell fluid search on their website (since i love shell oils) and this is what it gave me

f. Automatic transmissions: ZF 3HP22, ZF 4HP22, ZF 4HP22EH, 4HP24, A4S270R/310R/310Z (with black rating plate), Spirax S5 ATF X / Spirax S3 ATF MD3 / Pennzoil Synthetic Multi Vehicle ATF; A5S310Z, ZF 5HP 19, ZF 5HP 24, ZF HP30 (with green rating plate), Spirax S5 ATF X / Pennzoil Synthetic Multi Vehicle ATF; all others, check label for special lifetime fill requirements. Always check manuals/labels to ensure use of correct fluid
g. Use only BMW approved automatic transmission fluids and final drive gear oils

I believe what Trav meant was taking a line off.....then refilling and pumping out at the same time.....using the transmissions own pump to flush the fluid.....not a flush from a dealer or shop.

found some good stuff
laugh.gif
well.. fuchs' oil always did me good . im gonna try this titan i think.

http://www.fuchslubricants.com/titan-atf-6000-sl

Originally Posted By: MotorsportsX
oooo. ok.. cant you burn the pump out doing that if you go to far?

No. As soon as you see bubbles in the fluid stop the engine. If you want directions post back myself or someone else will be happy to give you the procedure.

My 2007 328i has 160K miles and I have only used Walmart branded Mercon VI, I originally changed the fluid every 30K miles and recently have switched to 50K, the GM transmission is actually not that bad with the exception that the sensors/computer are internal to the transmission and if either goes bad they are expensive to replace, the trans temperature sensor is going bad on my mine and I will not repair it,

Originally Posted By: kschachn
OK, well you were looking for the cheapest thing, I don't think this qualifies
smile.gif

found some good stuff
laugh.gif
well.. fuchs' oil always did me good . im gonna try this titan i think.

http://www.fuchslubricants.com/titan-atf-6000-sl

lol no thats definately not the cheapest. i got 8 quarts of oriellys brand VI. im going to do 2 4 quart changes first, maybe a third depending on the color and how the trans acts. after i get done with that Ill put the titan in it. I want to get as much of the old stuff out as i can before i change over to a full synthetic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
oooo. ok.. cant you burn the pump out doing that if you go to far?

No. As soon as you see bubbles in the fluid stop the engine. If you want directions post back myself or someone else will be happy to give you the procedure.

i appreciate it, but ill be fine doing it with a couple of drain/fills. thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back