My new once-a-year oil change interval...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I'm just not getting the Forester out a whole lot since getting the Ducati and having an employer car for work commute. Checked mileage and time and my last OC was Aug 16th @ 35,994. Odometer today is 38,860. All local driving, too. It is literally a grocery getter lately, and that's only if I don't stop at the store on the way home from work in the Impala. Honestly, I should probably sample the oil next month during the drain and see how it's tolerating the infrequent use and the short tripping when it is gotten out. Short trip is actually a misnomer however, since usually if I have it out on an errand I take the long way or drive just to run it at operating temp for a while. Oh, and to church on Sunday mornings. I can see the salesman if I ever trade it in, as he's pitching it to some buyer, "Honestly, it was owned by an old man who only drove it to the grocery and to church." But wait just a da@mn minute... I'm a cool old man who rides a Ducati, and hits the gym and stuff. As long as the sales associate gets that part straight...

Choose a quality synthetic oil with a robust TBN and you can easily go 2 years. I do so without issue on various things.

I change my oil every 6 months to keep my Lifetime warranty in effect on my Dodge 2500. Since I have a company truck and anytime I go anywhere else its with the family in the car, I never drive it except when we go camping. I put a little over 2,600 miles on it last year. That's with one trip to Savannah, Georgia too.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Why don't you just follow the OLM?

'cause my Subaru don't got one.

For infrequent use once a year is fine, don't forget to change all the maintenance intervals over to time now instead of mileage.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Why don't you just follow the OLM?

My OLM has me changing the oil every 6 months, if I don't put on many miles. That's absurd.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Choose a quality synthetic oil with a robust TBN and you can easily go 2 years. I do so without issue on various things.

Yes!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back