Blocking public parking spots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was stopping for lunch when I saw a great parking spot, but someone was standing right there. I thought it was [censored] since this was public parking. I did think of just staying right where I was until maybe the cops came by to tell him to leave, but didn't have that kind of time.

However, this calls to mind the apps and websites where someone essentially pays for a public parking site that someone else is leaving. Not legal in many cities, but the company providing the service claims it's just information and not actually selling the spot.

I see that you're in San Francisco, where I know parking is limited, so my comment probably doesn't apply to your situation. But nobody stands in the parking spaces I prefer. They'd have to walk too far.
smile.gif

Did you tell him you would like to park there? I can see someone saving a spot for a minute while the driver waits for someone in his way or drives around a one-way street, but that's it.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Did you tell him you would like to park there? I can see someone saving a spot for a minute while the driver waits for someone in his way or drives around a one-way street, but that's it.

I'm pretty sure he was saving it for a friend given that he'd already parked. I don't think it was a coworker, since he was wearing work clothes, he had a clearly marked commercial vehicle, and his friend parked another commercial vehicle (for another business).

Basically when I looked like I wanted the space, he waved me on like there was no way I was getting that space.

I mentioned the issue with the app to essentially sell the use of public parking spaces. The City and County of San Francisco has sent cease and desist letters to the developer. They probably stand a good chance of getting Apple to drop the app unless they lock out certain areas. The local ordinance actually makes it illegal to make any agreement for the use of a public street, which I'm told includes parking spaces. It also doesn't matter if there is any pay or compensation involved. Someone standing in a parking spot waiting for a friend he's told about the space is legally making an oral agreement for the use of a public resource.

They block parking spaces in Boston due to the parker having shovelled out the space before work. They expect it when they get back. Of course they won't pay the premium for off street parking yet expect all the benefits.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
They block parking spaces in Boston due to the parker having shovelled out the space before work. They expect it when they get back. Of course they won't pay the premium for off street parking yet expect all the benefits.

So.......Shoveling snow from an on street parking spot is a........Benefit? Who knew?

Where I live, 4wd and AWD vehicles can find all kinds of spaces others cannot use......By parking on TOP of the snow.

There were some fascinating lessons to be learned related to that after the Snowmageddon -- it seems like many northern cities have the unwritten rule, that if you shovel a spot, mark it with something (lawn chairs, trash cans, cones), you can expect to get it back (or the "intruder" can expect trouble).

The cut-off line must be Baltimore or Philly though, because in DC folks just threw the chairs back on the curb and parked. Freedom! I shoveled out a spot, someone took it, NBD, I shoveled a new one when I got home... I felt bad for the old folks though.

If you are legit first in a public spot....you sir deserve to park there. Being in NY basically you have to call the dude out and then tell him u have his pic on ur phone and if anything happens to your car you will indeed kill him and anyone he has spoken to over the last 48hrs.

Pick your battles....in my Camry I'd take em to task...NOT the others in my sig.

Originally Posted By: LazyPrizm

There were some fascinating lessons to be learned related to that after the Snowmageddon -- it seems like many northern cities have the unwritten rule, that if you shovel a spot, mark it with something (lawn chairs, trash cans, cones), you can expect to get it back (or the "intruder" can expect trouble).

The cut-off line must be Baltimore or Philly though, because in DC folks just threw the chairs back on the curb and parked. Freedom! I shoveled out a spot, someone took it, NBD, I shoveled a new one when I got home... I felt bad for the old folks though.

Not only that, but they expect to have that space for the rest of the winter. At least they updated the rule so that it's only 48 hours, but after some really big storms, they've relaxed it a bit more. I remember reading one article and it suggested that maybe people should commit random acts of garbage removal although that might get someone who didn't know about the space saver in trouble with the original shoveler.

I was just listening to a podcast that mentioned Frisco and the "you're paying someone to leave the spot when you arrive" app MonkeyParking.

http://www.econtalk.org/archives/2014/07/michael_munger.html

If you're going to listen to any econtalk postcast then a Michael Munger podcast is a good one to start off with.

Here's a partial transcript (apologies in advance if it's TL;DR):

But Monkey Parking, I signed up and I tried to bid for a parking space. It's in San Francisco, so obviously I wasn't really doing it. But I went through the process. And you can bid $5, $10, $15, or $20. Russ: To do what? Explain it. Guest: What you are bidding for is someone to leave a parking space. So they are very explicit: what you are paying someone to do is to leave a parking space. You're not buying the parking space-- Russ: That you're going to fill. Guest: Well, that's up to you. Russ: You are subletting it from them. Guest: Well, that may be. You are paying them to leave when you get there. Now, maybe you take it, maybe you don't. Maybe you just enjoy watching people leave parking spaces. But they really are careful not to say you are buying the parking space. And that you are going to get it. All they are doing is paying them to leave a parking space. And so, this has several effects. One is that there are people now who instead of sitting at home playing video games, drive their old junker jalopy across the bridge from Oakland and look around for parking spaces. And if they see one, they jump into it; and they pay the minimum amount and then put themselves down. MonkeyParking App has two buttons. One is: I have a parking space; and it looks for your location, because it's a cellphone app. And the other is: I want a parking space; and it looks for your location. And then it matches people that have them with people that want them. And so-- Russ: It encourages staking a claim. It's like people who go out and get a good URL (Universal Resource Locator), hoping that someone will also want it; and then they can re-sell it. So it encourages people to prospect for parking spaces--and make it even harder to find one. Guest: It makes it impossible. It's literally impossible to find a parking space. Russ: Unless you want to pay for it. Guest: On the other hand-- Russ: In which case it's really easy. Guest: And it means that you don't have to drive around for an hour. So there are distributional consequences. I would use it every time. If I bid $5, I'm going to be able to find one not too distant, and pretty quickly. I pay him--and there's no actual payment that takes place. It just matches. It's like Uber--it's a genius thing. I have to have my credit card number; it's credited to his account. No money changes hands. We don't even have to talk. I just pull up; I wave; he's got my information. He pulls out; I pull in. And then I have to pay. I think of it like ticket scalping, actually. Because a ticket scalper buys a ticket that he doesn't intend to use. Russ: An underpriced asset, like the parking space, which is "too cheap"--which is why there aren't any. Guest: Yeah. So it ends up being a 2-part tariff. One is the money that the scalper charges you in excess of the price. And the other is the price that's received by, in this case, the city, which has the parking meters. And so the question is: Is this a good thing? Should it be allowed? And I think the hard part about it is that it means that there are no parking spaces. There are no parking spaces that you can find-- Russ: At the legal price--at the statutory price that the city has set. Guest: Well, again, suppose I'm old, so I have my walker beside me in the front seat of my car, and I don't know about this app. I drive around and I say, There used to be parking spaces here. Russ: Right. Exactly. Guest: Now there aren't any. Russ: Every place is filled. Guest: Yeah. Literally, the only way you can find a parking space is by using Monkey Parking, now. Russ: That's if enough people find it, and get used to it. Guest: Well, let's suppose it's successful. And it seems to be becoming successful. Now if it fails, then, yes, we don't need to worry about it anyway. So I'm assuming it becomes successful. If it does, then either this or some competing software is the only way to find a parking space. I don't drive around. I am able to find one pretty quickly. It's a little bit expensive, but for me it would easily be worth it. I am happy to pay. I think some people would object to paying. What I think is interesting about this is that this has happened in South America for a long time. And you may have seen it in Chile. When I would drive from Santiago over to Viña del Mar--we would visit the Congress; I know some members of the Cámara de Diputados. There are no parking spaces. But there are these guys who provide car-washing services. Russ: Oh, yeah. I've seen this--it used to be you used to have this in New York, by the way. Not just in South America. Go ahead. Guest: Well, in New York, the parking spaces are so valuable--here, there are actually no parking meters. The parking is free, but parking is scarce. It's hard to find. So what they do is they put buckets of soapy water in the parking spaces. And they'll have 3 or 4 parking spaces marked out with these buckets of soapy water. And it's not legal--they don't have any right to do this. But you come in and you say, I want my car washed. And they'll move the buckets of soapy water. You can park. And then they'll wash your car for the next 6 hours. Russ: It's incredibly clean when you come back. It's an amazing thing. Guest: And they also say, if you give them a little bit of money, they'll also make sure that it's not scratched and none of the windows are broken. So it's sort of a protection racket. Russ: That's the service that I'm used to, that I've seen in New York City. You don't see it any more. There's an implicit threat; they offer to "protect" your car. They are offering you the space that they've staked out for you--which is kind. And you get a clean car. And they charge you for it. Guest: Yeah. And it is not in fact scratched and the windows are not broken. Because it's understood that that's your--it is fabulous if you can afford to pay. And I'm a rich gringo, and I can pay. It means that there's no free parking spaces. On the other hand, if you can pay just a little bit, you can just pull right up and be sure there's a parking space, and pull in there, park, give the guy 1000 pesos and then go off to your appointment.

Quote:
At least they updated the rule so that it's only 48 hours
Can you provide some information about this "rule"? Is there a town/government website which explains this Boston law of the land? I am asking you because I believe there is no such "rule". No town or government entity is stupid enough to codify such a practice. I do understand the consequences of not following the "rule" though.

Originally Posted By: LazyPrizm

The "dibs" system always makes me laugh. I can see the purpose of it if you've shovelled out a spot on the street and are just headed to the store or something, but some people seem to think their lawn chairs and junk will hold their spot for the entire day! Like, ALL day, while they're at work. I say no! You can't reserve a spot for an entire day when the roads are dry; why should it be any different if there is snow on the ground?

Fortunately I have a driveway and don't have to deal with the problems of street parking.

My girlfriend once tried to save a spot at metered street parking for one of her friends. A policeman came by and told her she can't stand there because she's not a registered vehicle.

After snowmageddon, Detroit has an unwritten rule that people who dig out a spot on the residential street for parking, and mark it with a chair, are entitled to reserve it for themselves. Pity the fool who tries to muscle in to such a spot. Street justice prevails in Detroit.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Quote:
Can you provide some information about this "rule"? Is there a town/government website which explains this Boston law of the land? I am asking you because I believe there is no such "rule". No town or government entity is stupid enough to codify such a practice. I do understand the consequences of not following the "rule" though.

It's been mentioned before in the Boston Globe, but what it really boils down to is that the Mayor sends out the sanitation trucks after that time period has elapsed and starts removing all the trash/space savers on the street.

Originally Posted By: spackard
And I think the hard part about it is that it means that there are no parking spaces. There are no parking spaces that you can find-- Russ: At the legal price--at the statutory price that the city has set.

I always though Chambers of Commerce or Downtown Planning organizations wanted properly priced meters to encourage turnover and business. EG, get into my store, buy something, then get out quickly and make the space available. I wonder (not really) what "broke" in SF that leads to cheap, unavailable spaces, and Capitalism squeezing through, as it tends to do.
laugh.gif

"I scalp low numbers at the deli counter" -- Stephen Wright

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Quote:

It's been mentioned before in the Boston Globe, but what it really boils down to is that the Mayor sends out the sanitation trucks after that time period has elapsed and starts removing all the trash/space savers on the street.

Which has resulted in people "saving" spaces with stuff the trash collectors usually will not take: air conditioners, computer monitors, old tires...I even saw what looked like an old freezer!

Wow!

All I've got to say is, I am overwhelmingly glad that I don't live in a metropolitan area. I can't imagine putting up with such [censored] to park. Every home I have ever owned has had a driveway. And if the driveway/garage wasn't enough for all my cars, I had plenty of curb around my home. My neighbors had plenty of curb around their homes, so there was no problem with anyone wanting to "trespass" upon area where I parked.

One more reason to add to the list of reasons not to live in heavily populated areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back