SuperS Syn Blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this any good? I saw it at KMart for 8.50 for 5 qts! I have seen little on this brand of oil. I read it's Smitty's, which is a small maker of petroleum products. The VOA on it seems to be bland at best...Has anyone tried it with good success? It's GF-5, SN rated....
smittys+oil.jpg

Used it in a 4.0 Merc Mountaineer a couple of times when my local Auto Value had it on new product promotion for that same price.

It was just as good as the MC 5W-30 syn blend I used before the SuperS. For that price, get a couple of changes worth.

The reason it's not talked about much on here is that it is now finally in a large chain store. If Walmart carried it, it would be the only thing we'd be talking about.

We saw promos like this on Peak oil when it first starting to be offered in larger retail chains. Smitty's Super S replaced Spectrum on the shelves at K-Mart. They are in Roseland, LA and bottle oil for some of the majors. They do blend their own oil with base stocks that they purchase from other refiners. Exxon Mobil has a refinery in Roseland. I is just speculation, but I would not be surprised if they were purchasing some Group II from Exxon Mobil.

I put it in the Explorer in my Signature last week. Runs smooth as the SuperTech Synthetic or Mobil 5000 right before it that came out of the Explorer prior!! I should have picked up four -- 5quart containers of it when I seen it on sale at K-mart instead of the two -- 5quart containers I purchased. Snooze you Lose!!
shocked.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Nice slug of Boron in it.

What is this used for?

So the general consensus it that it's decent stuff? Can it be run for 3750 no problem?

I bought 12 quarts at $1.80 each at last week's Kmart sale. After doing my research and conferring with Salv on here, I plan to use the Super S 5w-30 next week in my 2011 Elantra Touring with a Hastings filter. I'm confident with the GF-5 and SN certs.

Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
So the general consensus it that it's decent stuff? Can it be run for 3750 no problem?

How could it not with a API license?

Originally Posted By: dave1251

true.....

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Nice slug of Boron in it.

What is this used for?

Anti-wear additive mostly. "Boron-containing compounds are known as corrosion inhibitors, antioxidants, friction modifiers and effective anti-wear additives either dissolved in oil or as an insoluble and inorganic borate salts dispersed in oil in the nanoparticulate form." from https://pure.ltu.se/portal/files/3350614/Faiz_Ullah_Shah_LIC2009.pdf

Originally Posted By: dave1251

true.....

Learning about the API starburst requirements, it appears the American Petroleum Institute ensures an oil has been tested so we can believe an SN/GF-5 claim. Is that basically it?

Is this any good?
Don't you love marketing hype? It says on the front "Most Advanced Additive Technology". Really? I wonder if Nissan who patented a partial-ester oil using diamond nano-particles would agree with the statement....
wink.gif

I bought 25 quarts of Smitty's 5w-30. Does this variety have the same boron content as the 5w-20 flavor as shown on the PQIA site?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back