!-HELP-! Oil Capacity for 2004 Toyota Echo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mum has a 2004 Toyota Echo with 180 000 kms on it. was planning to change the oil today, but when I checked the dipstick, I found out that somewhere along the course of its 10 yr life, something happened and now, I have on my hands a broken dipstick.

The dipstick is broken a fair way up, so there is no way of telling the oil level in the engine.

If anyone out there has experience with this car, could they tell me how much oil I should put in after I drain the oil with cold engine on level ground until it drips for 5 mins + oil filter?

Are these engines prone to burning oil? Mum has driven it like any other old person, service intervals have been followed very roughly, usually 10k km OCI but its been up to 13-15K km once or twice in its life. Since I can't tell oil level, can someone that has experience with this particular engine (1.3L 2NZ-FE) tell me roughly how much oil it burns (if any) in a certain number of kms? Next oil change will hopefully be done by myself again in around (hopefully) 10k kms, so based on what I've just written, is it possible to determine whether top-ups will be needed? Or is oil burn a factor that varies greatly and can only be seen with a dipstick?

Oil that I am planning to put in is 10W-30 Valvoline Engine Armour (Australia).

How much oil is in the engine at the min point of the dipstick?
How much oil is in the engine at the max point of the dipstick?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: bigt61
Bookmark this:

https://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookup.aspx

Engine, with filter..........3.9 quarts

Except that the OP being in Australia has a different engine in his Echo.

True, but how far wrong can 4 qts be? I'm betting his engine holds the same amount. Need to get the dipstick fixed in the future obviously. Throw in 4 qts until then.

Thanks, so 3.5 qts would be the amount to replace the oil, and not to completely refill an empty engine, right?

How much of an overfill can this engine take before bad stuff happens?

What's the chance of the 10W-30 burning in this engine?

Last edited:
Yes including filter. 3.3 engine 0.2 filter.
As far as burning goes i wouldn't have any idea. Every engine is an individual, some use oil some don't regardless of make and model.

With no dipstick your dancing in the dark as far as that goes. Do whatever you want but replacing it would be very high on my priority list.

Overfilling is not good, it can cause foaming. I wouldn't go much over half a qt on such a small capacity.

Last edited:
Personal experience leads me to question that statement

2AZ's and VG30/33E's in the USDM spec around about 4 quarts with a filter change
How many hundreds of thousands of dealers and lube chains just dump 5 in?
Until I found out, for the past 10~ years? Me and other places, including Ford dealers were overfilling my Villager. Hasn't seemed to have hurt it?

For the record, once I found out, I now use specification on every car I work on, but it might be a bit brazen to say that .5qt's would be enough to seriously get concerned over?

Any idea how high the windage tray in this engine? Once you get close to or over the tray you can cause foaming.
I said i wouldn't go much over 0.5 in a 3.3 sump, i didn't say 0.5 was going to damage the engine. Whats the problem?

Last edited:
+1 on fixing the dipstick. It's plastic, right? You can unfasten the tube and pull it out of the block, the broken piece (assuming it is still in the tube) should be removable at that point. When you order a new dipstick get a new o-ring for the tube/block connection.

Otherwise like others have said you are just guessing.

Originally Posted By: Trav
This article shows 3.5 qts which is common for the 1.5 but in other countries it may be different.

http://www.theymightberacing.com/Maintenance/Oil/ToyotaEcho.aspx

But then someone in the comments section corrects him saying it's actually 3.7 liters (3.9 quarts).

Besides, the OP has a 1.3 liter engine, not 1.5. I haven't been able to find the capacity for the 1.3.

And yeah, just buy a new dipstick and stop guessing.

BTW, according to castrol UK, the 2004 Yaris with a 1.3 engine takes 3.7l (3.9qt). Not sure if it's the exact same 1.3 engine as in Echo though.

Originally Posted By: kev090997
how much oil I should put in after I drain the oil with cold engine on level ground until it drips for 5 mins + oil filter?

Any particular reason why you want to do it on a cold engine? Don't want to start the car?

You could simply look it up in the owners manual and stop guessing. And if you don't have a paper copy of the owners manual, they are freely available on-line.

With that you don't need to guess at the capacity.

Oil capacity depends on which engine you have. Depending on the market, the Echo/Yaris/Vitz came with 3 different engines.

The 1.0L 1SZ-FE takes 3.2L when changing the filter, 2.9 when not.

The 1.3L 2NZ-FE takes 3.7L when changing the filter, 3.4L when not.

The 1.5L 1NZ-FE (the engine used in the US model) takes 3.7L when changing the filter, 3.4L when not.

Kev090997. Is part of the dipstick in the tube or did it break as you were pulling it out? You can go to an auto wreck yard and buy a used one.

I have absolutely no clue where the other end of the dipstick is.

My mum used to get conned into those servicing plans where to pay 100$ for like 5 services type of deals.

This is pretty much the first time that I've checked up on her car since she couldn't find any of the cheapo oil places.

I'll see if there are any wreckers around where I live, otherwise, I'll just dump maybe 3.5L in any top up 100mL every half year and change it out this time next year again.. Should be fine like that.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kev090997
Mum has a 2004 Toyota Echo with 180 000 kms on it. was planning to change the oil today, but when I checked the dipstick, I found out that somewhere along the course of its 10 yr life, something happened and now, I have on my hands a broken dipstick.

The dipstick is broken a fair way up, so there is no way of telling the oil level in the engine.

If anyone out there has experience with this car, could they tell me how much oil I should put in after I drain the oil with cold engine on level ground until it drips for 5 mins + oil filter?

Are these engines prone to burning oil? Mum has driven it like any other old person, service intervals have been followed very roughly, usually 10k km OCI but its been up to 13-15K km once or twice in its life. Since I can't tell oil level, can someone that has experience with this particular engine (1.3L 2NZ-FE) tell me roughly how much oil it burns (if any) in a certain number of kms? Next oil change will hopefully be done by myself again in around (hopefully) 10k kms, so based on what I've just written, is it possible to determine whether top-ups will be needed? Or is oil burn a factor that varies greatly and can only be seen with a dipstick?

Oil that I am planning to put in is 10W-30 Valvoline Engine Armour (Australia).

How much oil is in the engine at the min point of the dipstick?
How much oil is in the engine at the max point of the dipstick?

Thanks in advance

You are joking right ?

Stop being a tightass and go buy a new dipstick from Toyota or a used one from the wreckers right now.
spankme2.gif
33.gif

Last edited:
Sadly you ll need to find the missing part of the dipstick .so rénovationthe oil pan and search if its the engine end ,if its the other end ?waz likly stolen ,go buy another.you dont want to overfill or underfill.and yes you have to warn garage to not overfill .most of the time they dont look on the diptick after the car ran. Till oil filter is filled (and car has cooled 30 minute

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back