Mobil 1 or Valvoline Synpower, help me choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I have a Peugeot 207 1.6 naturally aspirated EP6 engine. The recommended oil is SAE 5W-30 ACEA A5/B5. The oil that has been using is the dealership's bulk, brand Total. The change interval is 10,000 km. (6,200 mi) which I plan to keep,

I live in the outskirts of Mexico City and I commute to the center, approximately 60 km round trip, 60% highway, 40% stop and go traffic. The highway part also features some steep inclines in which I have to give it the full beans to keep up.

The most common oil related fault in this engine is a clogged hydraulic chain tensioner that throws the camshafts out of sync.

The only oils that I can easily find over here that claim to pass the ACEA A5/B5 spec are Mobil 1 and Valvoline Synpower. The Mobil 1 is slightly more expensive but nothing that will break the bank. I don't know which one to choose, so all recommendations and insights are welcome.

Here are the PQIA links to each oil
Valvoline
Mobil1

Valvoline SP kept our forester's TC tensioner out of trouble moreso than the M1 or QSUD - but this is in the higher % VM 0w20.
We are onto real synthetic PP and PU now.

Between those two oils at that OCI (6,200 miles) I would go with the Synpower because of the price.

If you were to stretch your OCI to closer to 10k miles I would choose M1

Mobil has way more history making synthetic oil. One of the first to offer a hydrocarbon synthetic in the USA. And Mobil probably provides the bast stock for 60% of other companies making s synthetic oil. Valvoline might be less costly but also is not the product Mobil makes. Been using Mobil I since it was first offered in the US in about 1978.No problems using it in both domestic and foreign mad vehicles.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf

History really has no bearing here (although i know what you mean -trust-) and Valvoline purchases it's base stocks from Mobil, Pennzoil and others, so no bearing either. If you want test results from someone other than M1 and Valvoline, take a look at the AMSOIL test results in the link above. Of coarse these are U.S. bought oils in the test so I'm not sure of their equivalent Mexican iterations.

Last edited:
There is no question that M1 oils keep an engine clean. If the hydraulic tensioner is a problem then it's truly a no brainer in my eyes.
Sure valvoline might be awesome for cleanliness too however if I knew my engine was a potential problem and knowing keeping it spotless inside eliminates the problem then the sure bet has to be M1.
And I'm no fan of M1 by any means however I am confident of the oils ability at keeping an engine clean.

Between the two, on a 6.2K mile drain interval, use whichever you'd like, or just save a little coin and use the Synpower.
There is nothing to indicate that M1 is superior in any way in your use.
That so many seem to prefer M1 demonstrates the power of big-budget brand promotion conducted over many years.
There aren't as many dedicated Synpower users as there are with M1, but they're out there and also think that they've discovered the elusive best oil.
Use either with confidence. Your engine won't know the difference.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Between the two, on a 6.2K mile drain interval, use whichever you'd like, or just save a little coin and use the Synpower.
There is nothing to indicate that M1 is superior in any way in your use.
That so many seem to prefer M1 demonstrates the power of big-budget brand promotion conducted over many years.
There aren't as many dedicated Synpower users as there are with M1, but they're out there and also think that they've discovered the elusive best oil.
Use either with confidence. Your engine won't know the difference.

I have used M1 oils since 1978 all at 10K OCIs. Unlike many here, I actually have a lot of experience with 10K OCIs and have put hundreds of thousands of miles on several engines, some with OHC heads. Never a problem. You're right, clean is the name of the game with chain guides and all my engines have stayed very clean. M1 will serve you well.

Last edited:
As I indicated in the post to which you replied, there are Valvoline loyalists as well.
No doubt that M1 has worked well for you, but other oils might well have done the same.
On a 6.2 K mile OCI, I doubt that M1 would prove superior to any other oil.
Even if M1 really is that good, it wouldn't matter over such a short drain interval.

Definitely Synpower would be the better choice. I completely agree with Jocephus. It's cheaper, and IMO performs better. However, if you ever decide you want to extend your oci, I would do a uoa. Even as a Synpower fan I will admit TBN is the (only) weak spot. If the uoa is unsatisfactory, then M1 may be the better choice. But under 10,000 miles, Synpower is tough to beat. Especially for the price.

I appreciate all your comments and I decided to go with Mobil 1, I know that my OCI is somewhat short (6k miles) but I may further embrace this oil mania and do my first UOA to see if it is OK to make the interval longer, maybe 10k or 15k, with that in mind I think that the Mobil oil is the better candidate.

Originally Posted By: Alex38
At that interval, I'd for with Valvoline due to the price.

I imagine Mexico City has different pricing. Likely a lot more expensive than here.

I've used both for my VW Jetta that recommends XW-40 502.00 oil. Both were fine, but I noticed my engine being quieter and smoother at higher RPMs (>3k) with M1 0W-40 than Synpower 5W-40.

Originally Posted By: tony1679
Does it meet ACEA A5/B5?

The heck if I know. All I know is it makes my car's engine run very very well. My engine has never been more energetic and quieter. I even picked up 3/10ths of a mile per gallon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back