Puncture in 3k miles Conti PureContact in shoulder

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got 3300 miles on new set of Continental PureContacts on our 2012 Subaru Impreza. Was in back position, obviously never rotated, so hopefully really modest wear, should be like half a 32nd. AWDs are real critical to have fairly even tire heights all around. Puncture is almost into sidewall so not really patchable from inside, at least my local Firestone won't do it. It was driven about 2.5 miles with zero pressure. A wood splinter actually did this! In the slit- very faintly you can see a red magic market circle on the tire.

Now I've got to buy a not on sale, no rebate one tire! I'd much rather have it happen now than 2-4 32nds down the road, then I'd be buying at least two.

ContiPureContact_Sube_Puncture_2.jpg

ContiPureContact_Sube_Puncture_1.jpg

Last edited:
After reading through Continental's warranty documentation, I'm pretty sure they will replace the tire a no cost as long as the tire has less than 2/32" of wear, and is less than 1 year old.

A number of tire makers have a road hazard warranty when the tire is still fairly new, so I always encourage people to read their warranty documentation before buying a new tire out of pocket.

Where and when were the tires purchased?

Tirerack has links to continental warranty documents
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...Plus+Technology

Continental replaced a tire for us that was almost new. Hit something on interstate, by time got off the road, sidewall was done. Was really nice since like yours it was almost a new tire. This was a while ago, like five years or more.

Good luck.

+1. I did this a few years ago with Conti DWS tires. Only paid sales tax and mounting for the replacement tire.

Originally Posted By: sxg6
After reading through Continental's warranty documentation, I'm pretty sure they will replace the tire a no cost as long as the tire has less than 2/32" of wear, and is less than 1 year old.

A number of tire makers have a road hazard warranty when the tire is still fairly new, so I always encourage people to read their warranty documentation before buying a new tire out of pocket.

Thanks. DiscountTiredirect ... I will check the coverage! I knew there was a reason I posted..

Originally Posted By: Rand
Manufacturer's Road Hazard Warranty:
1 Year / first 2/32" of wear

Sweet !

Originally Posted By: deanm11
Thanks. DiscountTiredirect ... I will check the coverage! I knew there was a reason I posted..

Report back an update if you get a chance.
smile.gif

I know it's off topic, but how are you liking the Continental PureContacts on your Impreza? I'm looking to put a set on my Subaru so I figured I'd ask.

They're good. The oem Yokos we're just ok and lasted 45k miles with rotations every 7500 miles. I don't detect any material fuel economy difference. Dry/wet weather performance is good and was fine with the Yokos too. I thought snow performance of the Yokos was lousy but won't be able to test that with these until December or so. The Yokos wore the inside edges out. I finally determined that the factory negative camber of 1-1.5degrees was to blame. I'm going to do 5k mile rotations this time.

Originally Posted By: sicko
I know it's off topic, but how are you liking the Continental PureContacts on your Impreza? I'm looking to put a set on my Subaru so I figured I'd ask.

I will. Calling a few of the local dealers in the AM to find one that will handle the warranty replacement for me..

Originally Posted By: satinsilver

Report back an update if you get a chance.
smile.gif

Local dealer changing it out for us now. DTD claimed the installation was supposed to be included under the warranty but the dealer is having us pay $22.

Local dealer changing it out for us now. DTD claimed the installation was supposed to be included under the warranty but the dealer is having us pay $22.

Call Continental and ask if they'd reimburse?

Why would they, the good will road hazard doesn't cover mounting or balancing, etc.

Quote:

This Road Hazard Coverage is offered to promote goodwill and is not a warranty that your tire will not fail or become unserviceable due to a road hazard injury. This Road Hazard Coverage applies to all Continental Branded Tires that are purchased as replacement market tires and is a promise of replacement under certain specified conditions as detailed below.

When an eligible tire is damaged during the first 2/32nds of an inch (1.6mm) of treadwear or first 12 months from date of purchase, whichever came first, the tire will be replaced with a comparable ** Continental brand tire free of charge.

To be eligible, you need to present your original tire sales invoice showing date of purchase, along with this Limited Warranty and Adjustment Policy, with the Information Section completed. You are responsible for payment of all applicable taxes, demounting, mounting and balancing charges set forth under this Coverage. You are also responsible for payment of local tire disposal fees and any parts or service regardless of mileage or months of service. This includes payment for tire rotation,
alignment, towing, road service and valve stems.

Thanks again all. Thrilled to be surprised to have this coverage. I see clearly I owed the (turned out to $25 all told) labor/disposal, etc. Super outcome compared to full freight and so glad, if it had to happen, it happened while a new tire is not making my tread depths vary much.

Continental warranty terms state that the mount and balancing cost should be included, but I'm still happy to hear you were able to get a new tire regardless.

That's if it's a tire defect. What you posted was the tire warranty and adjustment policy. If the tire were defective, what you posted would be applicable.

Road Hazard is not a defect in the tire, but a good will gesture by Continental. They don't even have to cover that, so getting a new tire for tax, fees and mounting is better than a kick in the jewels.

The OP could be on the hook for the cost of a new tire, plus the fees. So I think this is a pretty darn good outcome.

Again, don't confuse warranty with the complimentary road hazard coverage for the first 2/32nds of tire wear.

Continental warranty terms state that the mount and balancing cost should be included, but I'm still happy to hear you were able to get a new tire regardless.

You're absolutely right, I just reread the warranty documentation and the road hazard warranty does not cover mounting and balancing. I'm going to take down the image attached above since it does not apply to the OP's road hazard replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back