How do guys check stabilizer bar bushings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know when they are shot to the point you can pull the bar and literally move it that they are bad but is there a way to tell when they are worn and could use replacement but aren't that bad yet?

Just visually inspect and look for cracks in the anti-sway bar bushing. Ford has some models where the bushing is only serviced in the complete anti-sway bar.

For the end-links, the bushing type gets a visual inspection, the ball joint style gets visual inspection for torn boots and then checked for excessive movement.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Just visually inspect and look for cracks in the anti-sway bar bushing. Ford has some models where the bushing is only serviced in the complete anti-sway bar.

For the end-links, the bushing type gets a visual inspection, the ball joint style gets visual inspection for torn boots and then checked for excessive movement.

Would you replace a ball joint for a cracked or torn boots but having zero play?

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Would you replace a ball joint for a cracked or torn boots but having zero play?

Yes.
It might have zero play now, but how will it be in a few weeks after dirt from the road has done its thing to it?

Last edited:
Absolutely I would. You do not know how long it has been torn before being noticed. I have been in a car when a ball joint failed, and it is not something I would ever gamble on.

The ones on our Uplander started to make a clunking sound when going over bumps. That went on for a couple months before replacing.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
The ones on our Uplander started to make a clunking sound when going over bumps. That went on for a couple months before replacing.

This is about my experience too...with these Camry stabilizer link bushings...bushings not replaceable and like greg, after a couple of months of a bit of clunking, I replaced them both when I upsized the wheels from 15 to 17s and all is fine now...

hmot.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back