Water Pump 2002 Merc Cougar V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
My water pump started to leak today. I took it out and initially bought a new Duralast from Auto Zone, but it's wrong, so it goes back tomorrow. It got me thinking about other options. I nixed Advance, because their pump was made in China. I have a Napa near me, would they have better choices?

Sadly they are probably all made in China, I'd shop by warranty length.

If you can wait for it Rockauto has Beck and Arnley which aren't made in China, they also have a nice looking ac delcoaand Motorcraft part if you want to spend the $91 for oem.

NAPA often gets their water pumps from China. I once had to replace one multiple times for a 1980s Cadillac.

If you want a good water pump, the only thing I recommend is the OEM pump, or a GMB pump. Unfortunately, even the OEM part or GMB part could be made in China.

Sometimes the factory part is different from the part that the dealership sells. Either they were changed to make the part better, or they cheapened the part.

Typically Beck/Arnley doesn't cover American cars. However, if your car is covered, you might get them OEM part at a discount. Carquest often sells Beck/Arnley parts.

Amazon...Motorcraft...Made In Canada...$79.89...Free Shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-PW423-New-Water-Pump/dp/B000EQAVP4/ref=au_as_r?ie=UTF8&Make=Mercury|56&Model=Cougar|720&Year=2002|2002&carId=001&n=15684181&newCar=1&s=automotive&vehicleType=automotive

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ET16
My water pump started to leak today. I took it out and initially bought a new Duralast from Auto Zone, but it's wrong, so it goes back tomorrow. It got me thinking about other options. I nixed Advance, because their pump was made in China. I have a Napa near me, would they have better choices?

Did AutoZone offer you the customer satisfaction discount?

Airtex was the last major U.S. company to produce American made water pumps that I know of, but once United Industrial Syndicate's owner died(privately held company, also owned Champ Labs, makes of Mobil/k&n/ecore filters), the company "group" was sold to the Carlyle Group. They removed the water pump business and sent it to ASC, and then from ASC it was moved to China(or that Foreign trade zone in Ohio). Theyt did move the Mechanical Fuel Pump manufacturing back to Illinois from Mexico.

Last edited:

I've had good luck getting my Ford & GM OEM parts from O E Parts Headquarters when time wasn't an issue. They do offer overnight and 2nd day I think. They're usually priced pretty competitively, occasionally not. Here's a link:

OE Parts HQ

Cheers

Originally Posted By: Chris142
where was the autozone pump made?

It was ambiguous: assembled in USA, of foreign and US parts. I thought this was better than made in China, although the parts could be Chinese in this formula.

Napa may have a reman. I haven't replaced a water pump in a long while, so I no longer know if one is a good option.

Remans can be terrible.I have seen hubs slide off the shaft and put fans thru radiators.Some things can only be rebuilt twice,seems some outfits keep rebuilding them until nothing is left.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Get a GATES part# 41011 from RockAuto.

100% made in China, if it matters.

Napa TFW-41011 is made in China. How about Carquest?

I know it's not OEM, but I've had good luck with the O'Reilly pumps. Of the local suppliers, they're the only ones that have never came back leaking. They, like the Autozone pumps are assembled in the US of domestic and foreign materials. They used to be sold under the Masterpro name, now the Masterpro line of pumps are different and the "Good" pumps have been moved to the Murray name.

The correct pump from O'Reilly is the Murray CP 4091.

I exchanged the Autozone Duralast pump and got the right one.

The old gasket was metal and the new is paper.

I was wondering whether I should reuse the metal one with some silicone adhesive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kruse

It matters. Is the Motorcraft made in USA ?

I was wondering whether I should reuse the metal one with some silicone adhesive.

Use the paper gasket and apply a heavy coat of Permatex 2B on both sides of the gasket.

Is the Motorcraft made in USA ?

With the global economy getting more global, it would probably be impossible to really know until you have the new one in your hands. I've seen genuine Ford parts from Brazil, France, Belgium, England, Japan and a dozen other countries. A lot of their remanufactured parts are from Mexico, probably to avoid EPA regs. I'm guessing the Motorcraft is NOT made in China, though.
I know the OP bought a replacement pump and all this is now moot, but has anybody else noticed that the Motorcraft photo of the replacement pump shown on RockAuto not only shows the extra half of this pump being included, but also includes the two replacement hoses (and clamps!) as well? To me, at least if all that was included, it would be a no-brainer.

Last edited:
You should buy a Motorcraft one.

I ran into this problem a while ago; the water pump is an assembly. Motorcraft is the complete assembly while AAP and AZ only sells the pump.

There is a steel washer that rotates against the AL housing. After a while, it will wear a hole.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

It matters. Is the Motorcraft made in USA ?

Use the paper gasket and apply a heavy coat of Permatex 2B on both sides of the gasket.

I did as you suggested: went with the paper and Permatex. Worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back