Cleaning Engine Internals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
I'll take some honey roasted peanuts and a six pack. Thanks.

Heck, make some for me, too, please.

It's so great, with the 'support crew' here, you don't even have to type anymore, they do it for us! Keep speaking up for me, boys....

It didn't take too many posts for this thread to get emotional.
To answer your question, I've used ARx and had good results.
It is rather spendy, though.
I've never tried MMO but I will when and if the need arises.
Same for Kreen.
Enough members report good results with these products that they'd be worth a shot.
Rislone also has its advocates, so might be worth a try, particularly for a lifter tick.
In your position, I'd probably give MMO a try, just to see what happens.
You can try something more agressive, like Kreen, should the MMO fail to produce results.
If this engine has suffered disuse, just putting it back to work with regular changes using any oil will probably go a long way in cleaning it up as well as in eliminating the lifter noise.
Let us know what course you decide on and what results you see.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
I'll stick with RX. And no, I DON'T follow the instructions!

I'm pretty new here, I noticed you're one of the big rx fans. Why not follow directions? If the product was designed and tested Wouldn't the maker of the product know the best way to use it? After all he wants his stuff to work, doesn't he? What gives? If you have a better way of using the stuff why don't they use your way for their directions? Wonder'in that's all, looking for an answer not a harpoon attack here. Cheers.

Yeah, that is what sprintman was saying alright. Drive it hard 6000 miles AND use two bottles instead of just one. Like sprintman says, he does not follow directions. Apparently it takes two bottles and not one and the stuff is kind of expensive.

And of course sprintman was the guy who allegedly proved that Auto-RX works with his compression testing. No need for any additional testing. He did all the testing required.

And people wonder why I stopped using Auto-RX years ago?

Last edited:
It was the behavior of the guys who promote Auto-RX that made me stop using the product more than anything else. And their behavior is on display now. Their behavior speaks for itself.

I used ARX once and it did the job quite well. I did use two bottles but over a three oil change at 5k miles per OCI. The middle change was straight oil, no ARX.

Worked a miracle actually. Went from using a quart of oil every 500 miles to a quart in 5k miles.

I would not consider it a product to use for regular maintenance though. This was on a used engine that obviously did not get proper oil change maintenance before.

I saw elsewhere on this forum some use Kreen. I would think that product would work well too.

Originally Posted By: Oldswagon
What is the general consensus about the best additive to help clean an older sludged engine? I am helping someone clean an older pushrod V8 with a carburetor that has a some sludge due to lack of use and a very slight lifter noise.

Would Auto RX be a good choice? Or maybe something solvent based? Maybe just run a HDEO? Obviously being an old engine I wouldn't want to damage any seals either.

Any opinions?

If you are serious about getting it clean without loss of good lube by cutting the weight of the motor oil just start using Mobil 1 10W-40 High Mileage in an old gas carbed engine to clean it up over time and protect the seals.

I saved a 2003 GM 5.3L engine from loss of oil pressure due to the known issue of the oil pump pressure relief valve sticking OPEN. I did use 8 oz of Seafoam in an new dino oil change for 160 miles that helped with NO oil pressure on a hot start up and it was thin and black but it was after running the Mobil 1 HM that the oil gauge needle stopped jumping around when driving at 3000 RPM on the interstate locked out of OD.

Follow the warning Mobil puts on High Mileage bottles when moving to it in old engines.

Yeah, it is probably a very good idea just to try a good cleaning motor oil first before you try anything else. Some Pennzoil synthetic motor oils and Mobil 1 are supposed to clean very well. It would probably be a good idea for a guy with a dirty engine to try short OCIs with something like Mobil 1. As long as the engine is not a leaker, because otherwise it might leak even worse.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Yeah, it is probably a very good idea just to try a good cleaning motor oil first before you try anything else. Some Pennzoil synthetic motor oils and Mobil 1 are supposed to clean very well. It would probably be a good idea for a guy with a dirty engine to try short OCIs with something like Mobil 1. As long as the engine is not a leaker, because otherwise it might leak even worse.

These things are last resort products for me. If short ocis and good synthetics don't work I break out the mmo, or if I have a project car, or help a friend with a problem. Otherwise the Marvel stays at Walmart till the next time I need it. No need for any of this stuff in a healthy well maintained engine.

Pennzoil was claiming that the Pennzoil Ultra is very good at cleaning. The problem I have with Pennzoil is that I could never find the Pennzoil Ultra anywhere in my area. I get very tired of the Pennzoil games of advertising this Ultra oil and a person cannot find it. If somebody could actually find some of the Pennzoil Ultra well great.

So that is the reason I say Mobil 1. At least a person can find the Mobil 1 and it is supposed to clean well also.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Yeah we know. Drive it 6K miles like a Kamikaze pilot on crack and it works fine.

Oh dear.........one day you'll grow up but we won't hold our breath.

I think you have been holding your breath too long already.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I'll take some honey roasted peanuts and a six pack. Thanks.

Heck, make some for me, too, please.

It's so great, with the 'support crew' here, you don't even have to type anymore, they do it for us! Keep speaking up for me, boys....

Yep i had six Schneider Weisse and Nürnberger Bratwurst on rolls with hot mustard last night then honey roasted peanuts with beer.
For lunch today Rouladen with Kloßteig and a few bottles of Spitfire, life is good.

They are all on board digging their own holes as usual. They can keep digging while i have a nice lunch.

What is the general consensus about the best additive to help clean an older sludged engine? I am helping someone clean an older pushrod V8 with a carburetor that has a some sludge due to lack of use and a very slight lifter noise. Would Auto RX be a good choice? Or maybe something solvent based? Maybe just run a HDEO? Obviously being an old engine I wouldn't want to damage any seals either.

Why not try these steps. Put in a quality synthetic oil. M-1 is good, but most brands should work. Drive the car a few hundred (or thousand) miles. Then, when the engine is very hot, drain the oil. If you can angle the vehicle to get more drainage (e.g. lower the oil drain hole) that will help. Let it drain as long as anything comes out - 30 minutes or an hour or overnight.

You might repeat the above steps a second time.

If you are determined to try something more aggressive, you could add a quart of MMO to the oil. It is very thin - about like 10w oil. The thin nature of MMO might help cleaning, plus it has a high solvent content. Again, drive a few hundred (or thousand) miles, drain the oil when the engine is very hot.

Do the above steps first. The only other thing you might try is dropping the pan and cleaning the pan while off the engine. That's where most of the crud will end up - particularly after doing the above.

At that point, refill with a good quality synthetic oil, most of which are high detergent and will attract and hold crud in suspension. Any crud that remains in the engine should come out with subsequent oil changes.

Originally Posted By: dave5358
What is the general consensus about the best additive to help clean an older sludged engine? I am helping someone clean an older pushrod V8 with a carburetor that has a some sludge due to lack of use and a very slight lifter noise. Would Auto RX be a good choice? Or maybe something solvent based? Maybe just run a HDEO? Obviously being an old engine I wouldn't want to damage any seals either.

Why not try these steps. Put in a quality synthetic oil. M-1 is good, but most brands should work. Drive the car a few hundred (or thousand) miles. Then, when the engine is very hot, drain the oil. If you can angle the vehicle to get more drainage (e.g. lower the oil drain hole) that will help. Let it drain as long as anything comes out - 30 minutes or an hour or overnight.

You might repeat the above steps a second time.

If you are determined to try something more aggressive, you could add a quart of MMO to the oil. It is very thin - about like 10w oil. The thin nature of MMO might help cleaning, plus it has a high solvent content. Again, drive a few hundred (or thousand) miles, drain the oil when the engine is very hot.

Do the above steps first. The only other thing you might try is dropping the pan and cleaning the pan while off the engine. That's where most of the crud will end up - particularly after doing the above.

At that point, refill with a good quality synthetic oil, most of which are high detergent and will attract and hold crud in suspension. Any crud that remains in the engine should come out with subsequent oil changes.

For such a short interval I'd use something more powerful like Kreen. I don't think a good synthetic, or oil spiked with mmo will do a whole lot in such a short interval. Been there done that. But hey give it a shot and report back.

I'd add mmo about 1k miles before the oci, dump it. Then run mmo the full oci. Different strokes for different folks.

The Auto-RX crew never seems to understand that to sell a product you have to have good customer relations. And of course a product that works.

So yes Trav, might as well enjoy yourself. I will be gone for a while here soon. Yesterday I was gone for a while and Trajan went after me. Maybe somebody will go after me today.

Some of the stuff that is said is so illogical I don't know how to respond. Like a guy blaming me for encouraging him to use Auto-RX and he likes Auto-RX and says that it works. Say what? If he likes Auto-RX and encourages other guys to use it why does it matter if I (the guy he said encouraged him to try it) still use it or not?

And then he can't make up his mind if he actually used Auto-RX or not. In the very same reply he says that he tried it and that he never used it. Say what? I really don't know what to say about that. Maybe he means that he tried in once or twice or whatever but does not use it now. But I should not have to write for him.

And of course a person is never allowed to change their mind about a product. And if you liked a product in the past but it has been years since you used it and you don't like the product any more, you will be reminded forever that you liked the product in the past.

So you might as well enjoy your beer and your food.

+ Yesterday I was gone for a while and Trajan went after me. .

You really need to see a professional about your persecution complex.

No one is going after you. The truth is you have used it. Said it worked. Said it's at the top of your list. Posted positive results about it over and over.

Now, if you don't want to use it any more, that is your right. But you can't claim that it doesn't work after claiming over and over that it does.

Not without your credibility and veracity being called into question.

Trajan, you keep talking about my credibility and veracity. Well, I am not impressed with YOUR credibility and veracity.

I can remember when I had to copy and paste your praise of MMO before your remembered your praise of MMO. Do you recall that? Or would I have to copy and paste again?

And I don't think you are qualified to evaluate my 'persecution complex.'

I can see you are going to try to continue to discredit me by saying I praised Auto-RX in the past. The thing I repeatedly said in the past that made me think the product worked was that a seal leak stopped after I used it.

The Auto-RX crowd really need to rethink things here. They get nowhere by attacking anybody who does not like Auto-RX and they get nowhere by trying to discredit anybody who experienced poor customer care. Several guys here at this website who used Auto-RX can attest to that poor quality customer care.

I moved away from Auto-RX for several reasons. I am done repeating those reasons over and over again for your satisfaction. They are very good reasons to stop using a product.

People here are not dumb. They are not going to believe a product works and use it just because one guy says he did compression testing to prove that the product works. And if people receive poor customer care they are not going to go back.

From your posts above Trajan nobody can figure out if you actually used Auto-RX or not. Did you? Maybe you can do better than the reply above where you both said you had used Auto-RX because of my recommendation and that you do not use it. Care to clarify?

Then you make the silly comment that you are angry at me because you followed my recommendations to try Auto-RX but I later stopped using the product. Well, if you like Auto-RX and you actually use it then IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE IF I STOPPED USING THE PRODUCT OR NOT! Is that not correct? If you like the product why would you be upset about me recommending it? Can you not see that makes no sense?

Do not mention me again as a user of Auto-RX who was satisfied. Because I was not happy about being attacked for merely suggesting that other products could be talked about in the Oil Additives Section. I was not happy about a guy saying that he received product in exchange for promoting the product. Was that guy telling the truth? I don't know. But by that time I had had enough. And I quit using it right after that. That was YEARS AGO Trajan! I almost quit using Auto-RX, and should had stopped using Auto-RX, after I was attacked for merely suggesting that other things besides Auto-RX should be discussed in the Oil Additives Section. That individual is no longer a member of bobistheoilguy.com. He was banned. Although not for that reason.

After what I experienced as a loyal customer of Auto-RX I will never use the product again. Not ever. I was a good customer and I was treated very badly. I have used and will continue to use MMO and I might use Kreen someday. Lots of guys here talk about MMO and Kreen and are happy with those products. Nobody here has to promote MMO. It is readily and cheaply available from a Wal-Mart Store in my area. Kreen is available from Kano Labs, which is a reputable company as far as I know.

I think I will go get that beer and peanuts now.

Do you remember this statement from you Trajan? It was back in 7/21/2005.

"My V6 Camaro (3.8) would ping on leaving a light/stop sign. Techron, Seafoam, Regane didn't stop it. But MMO does. It also seems quieter."

Now you put down MMO all the time. I had to copy and paste that statement from you above for you to even admit to it. You like to bring up all the time that since I praised Auto-RX in the past I can't now say anything bad about Auto-RX.

Well, from now on when I see you putting down MMO and saying it does not work, I am going to remind you about how you praised MMO and said that it worked for you when other products did not.

You say I can't say anything negative about Auto-RX because I praised it in the past. Well, in that case you can't say anything negative about MMO. Because you praised MMO in the past.

Last edited:
Do you remember this statement from you Trajan? It was back in 7/21/2005.

"My V6 Camaro (3.8) would ping on leaving a light/stop sign. Techron, Seafoam, Regane didn't stop it. But MMO does. It also seems quieter."

Now you put down MMO all the time. I had to copy and paste that statement from you above for you to even admit to it. You like to bring up all the time that since I praised Auto-RX in the past I can't now say anything bad about Auto-RX.

Well, from now on when I see you putting down MMO and saying it does not work, I am going to remind you about how you praised MMO and said that it worked for you when other products did not.

You say I can't say anything negative about Auto-RX because I praised it in the past. Well, in that case you can't say anything negative about MMO. Because you praised MMO in the past.

Yea I read that thread, no biggie. The bottom line is people change their minds that's cool. But when mind changers attack mind changers for changing their minds I have a problem with that, and they should be warned. But if the mods don't care there's not much you're going to do about it.

This thread should die already.

Don't play this stupid game he is just trying to get you wound up so you get yourself banned.
Anyone who is really interested will dig though a lot of old threads and think twice before laying $28 out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back