Michelin Defender, Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's All Season Plus. Car is 2007 Honda Civic 205/55R16. OK which one? Most important is low noise and long life. Michelin rated 90K, Pirelli 70K but Tire Rack surveys have Pirelli better - tops in everything.

I have the defender on the elantra, too early to judge life. They are not loud but they ride just slightly harder that other tires. Thats to be expected in a 90k tire though. I am happy with them so far.

I know the Michelins would be good.

Also consider the Goodyear Assurance Comfortreads. I had them on a Mazda 3 and they were silent. And that car had zero insulation.

I am running the P7 all season pluses in 225/45/17. Make sure you get the 700 A A rated ones..some are rated 500 A A. So far i find them quiet and im on my 2nd season with them and I am down to 8/32nds tread. I would say I put about 20 000 miles on them so far. Great on dry and ok on wet. I dont think they are great but either you get something with a higher treadwear or better performance, it seems you cant get the best of both worlds but i think they are pretty good. Defenders or P7's seems like a tough choice to make, either way I think you will be happy with either.

While I have never owned a set of P7 Cinturato, I have owned two sets of Pirelli tires. My boss has a set of P6 on his Acura. And a good friend of mine, who is a real Ford car guy, has owned a few sets of Pirelli. All of us have never had a set of Pirelli tires that have lasted anywhere near the claimed mileage.

If long tread life is an important factor for you, skip the Pirelli tires. You will be disappointed. If for some reason you decide to go with a set of Pirelli anyway, make sure you buy them from a tire store that is well known for making good on tread wear warranty adjustments, such as Discount Tire.

The last set of Pirelli tires I had wore out about 20,000 miles early. Luckily I bought them from Discount Tire, and they let me apply the warranty towards a set of Michelin. So it worked out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments - keep them coming. They will be from Discount Tire and the P7 would be 700AA. I have had Goodyear ComforTread and was disappointed.............. short life, started out quiet but got much louder with use like several Michelins I've had. I'm leaning towards the Pirelli (BTW - not fair to compare to P6) but the Defender 900 rating is impressive, but not conclusive. Need actual owners of these exact tires to comment...................... there are many types of P7 but must be the model specified.

Last edited:
I currently have a set of Michelin Defenders on a Volvo. They have only been on for 6k miles but so far they have been one of the best tires I have ever owned. They are due for rotation any day but I can't visually see a difference. (Fwd sedan)

I am sure that the Michelin Defender will be a great tire for sure. We just put a set(4) of Pirelli P7 Cinturato A/S + on the '06 Mazda 3i in my signature in 205-55-16. They replaced the Hankook Optimo H727 after 4 years.

The P7 were from TreadDepot and I got'em for a much better price than the General AltiMAX RT43 which were also a very HIGH consideration and now in "H" speed rating in said size, from thetirerack. So far, we've put on ~1000 miles and YEA, they're quiet.
smile.gif

I can't do a full review on the P7's just yet but, driving 4 hrs to PA this July 4th weekend and running into heavy rain along the way, the tires didn't even notice the rain soaked roads at the posted 65 MPH speed limit.

The P7's have been fine thus far and corner crisp(er) compared to what was on the Mazda3 and much better in the wet without question(which is where the H727 were less effective). MPG with the P7 is as good as the other tires we've had on this car but, I can't say it's better just yet considering they're LRR(ecofriendly). And the highway tracking is slightly better with less wander due to being an "H" speed rating(I'm assuming).

We're very happy thus far with the P7's though they're brand new! My SIL has also put the P7's on her '03 Mitsubishi Outlander 2WD and is equaly happy with their quiet and drivability. And for anyone who is interested, they did quite good this past winter on the Outlander 2WD in Western NY State.

Last edited:
I am running Defenders, can't go wrong with a Michelin product. Been running them for about 10k miles and the wear is excellent, size 175/70/13.

I might be the lone wolf here. I have tried Cooper, Firestone, General and even somewhat 2nd rate Canadian Tire store brand tires. I decided to change it up a bit and tried a set of Michelin Defenders and found them to be at par or less than the others mentioned for quality and definitely less for wear. I would not consider them worth spending the premium dollars over the others.

I did some research recently and picked the Pirelli P7's for our Vibe. I'm waiting a bit to have them installed, the next month or so. I'm a Michelin fan too. I've had good experiences with Michelin truck tires.

10/13 V rated Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season on the Accord, nice match..many cabin runs this brutal winter length of L.Michigan and back, 10k on now.. have yet to add air since they left local DT for mounting, haven't rotated either.

Bought based on T/R customer reviews and I'd agree, happy all around..I'm a Michelin fan too but looks like they finally have some competition. I think with a rebate I was out the door for well under $500. Bought from DTD, mouted local by DT.

I'd buy these again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back