Long term storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
So as luck would have it I my military duties is going to have me going for a few months lets say 4-8 as I honestly dont know. My truck is going to be sitting in the driveway pretty much the whole time as no one I know knows how to drive a manual (sad story I know). So far I've got the tank as full as I could and put addtives in, chocked the tires and took the parking brake off and put it in gear (resting on the chocks not the gears). I've put a sealant on the paint and sunshades up. I'm debating having someone I trust just start it once a month let it idle for 30m and turn it off. Oh and its a 05 Ram CTD

Anything advice you can think of?

Ensure there is enough air in the tires.

Have someone hook up a battery charger every few weeks.

Put gas stabilizer in the gas tank and go drive it for 15-20 miles.

Also, vacuum it & make sure there's no food/drinks/milk in it.
smile.gif

All the best & stay safe!!
thumbsup2.gif

What additives do you have in there? I would also pump up the tires an extra 15 psi.

Instead of a charger, you could put on a cheap solar charger.

Thanks for your service!

Having winter-stored cars for a number of years, I'd suggest:

Don't have the engine started and idled while you're away. Odds are the oil won't reach full temp and it will do more harm than good.

Remove or disconnect the battery.

Overinflated the tires: inflate to the sidewall maximum rather than the automaker's recommendation. This will limit flat spotting.

It's generally best to add the fuel stabilizer, fill the tank and drive for a few miles to get the conditioned gasoline through the fuel pump, injectors, etc. if you just dumped the additive in a full tank, it won't get to those parts.

A fresh oil change before storage seems like a good idea to me.

If animals are a potential issue (and where aren't they?) put steel wool in the exhaust outlet and find a way to similarly seal the air intake.

When you return, put in the battery, check the fluids and you'll be surprised how little it has noticed the inactivity. The brake rotors will be rusty but should clear themselves pretty quickly.

Best of luck on your deployment.

Well since it is a diesel don't worry about any fuel additives for gasoline, but you knew that already.

I think all I'd do in addition is put a battery tender on the battery/batteries.

Don't have anyone start it, I think that just adds condensation and wear to the equation. Like someone above said, vehicles sit on dealer lots for months/years with no adverse effects. My inlaws leave cars parked for 6+ months and all they do is fill the tanks, add some stabil and put a battery tender on them. They've done this for years with zero problems.

Clean the interior and put some moisture absorbers so no funny smells develop during your absence. As for the exterior is better to put it on jack stands because the tires would eventually get flat. And arrange for someone to wash the truck regularly or just use a cover.

Depending on the age of the battery, another option is to sell the battery on Craigslist and just buy a new one when you get back.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Be sure and put pure gasoline and not E10 in the tank. E10 cant last more than 3 weeks

Complete, utter nonsense as well as irrelevant for the original poster (the truck in his signature has a diesel engine).

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Be sure and put pure gasoline and not E10 in the tank. E10 cant last more than 3 weeks

Complete, utter nonsense as well as irrelevant for the original poster (the truck in his signature has a diesel engine).

Yes for the diesel, no for the nonsense. Anyone who thinks storing a gasoline power vehicle for long term with E10 has no clue what they are talking about.

Even the refineries recommend using it within 3 weeks

Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda
Well since it is a diesel don't worry about any fuel additives for gasoline, but you knew that already.

I think all I'd do in addition is put a battery tender on the battery/batteries.

Don't have anyone start it, I think that just adds condensation and wear to the equation. Like someone above said, vehicles sit on dealer lots for months/years with no adverse effects. My inlaws leave cars parked for 6+ months and all they do is fill the tanks, add some stabil and put a battery tender on them. They've done this for years with zero problems.

Sta-Bil does sell a fuel stabilizer for diesel fuel...

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Yes for the diesel, no for the nonsense. Anyone who thinks storing a gasoline power vehicle for long term with E10 has no clue what they are talking about.

Even the refineries recommend using it within 3 weeks

Yes, it is nonsense. I've stored many vehicles and power equipment with E10 for months at a time and have never had any issues. And I've been doing it for years.

I'd put a couple of chunks of rat poison on top of the engine. Where I live, the rodents like to chew through the wires. I get the kind at the feed store that looks like a giant granola bar--not the pellets, which would be hard to get rid of. Break it into a few pieces and put two or three strategically on top of the motor and here and there in highly visible places. Leave a not taped to the steering wheel so you don't forget when you come back.

I second the poster who says don't have someone start the car. Ford said to merely change the oil before putting it in storage. More or less unused oil is basically inert. The oil never completely drains from the surfaces no matter how long its been sitting, so no need to mechanically keep up the coating by starting the car.

Last edited:
Air up the tires a little, take the battery out, buy and use a cover, change the oil before hand. Don't have anyone start it up. Just let it sit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back