question on vehicle ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 A6 with 63k miles. They have recently just paved my route home and there are minor road undulations. It seems I can feel every one of them. Over regular bumps car act fine. Shocks pass the bounce test. I have owned the car since it was 6 months old and never noticed this, then again the road is newly paved. Would this be a sign of worn shocks or other suspension components.

Could be strut time. But some local roads here also seem to be worse after replacing.

Raazin, I too notice minor undulations in the roads here -- once they're properly paved, of course -- and my car has only 48K miles. Be glad your streets are actually paved. (Note to LA DOT: Concrete blocks not topped with asphalt do not constitute "paved"!!!)

I have noted roads which are much better. Texas, for instance, and Mississippi. I recall one road near the Gulf Coast; as I drove down it I thought something was *wrong* with my Buick! There was almost no resistance from the suspension, no undulations -- yanno, the way roads *ought* to be.

I've felt this on new roads in my area too, in more than one car with low miles, and I've wondered about my suspensions because of it. But my conclusion so far has been that it's been a combination of normal road feel through the suspension and the steering components and the road just not being all that great.

My current car is a bit stiff in its suspension tuning (but not extreme by any stretch) and so this topic is on my mind somewhat regularly.

Not sure what else to go on to determine if it means the struts are going, if the car still handles well. I'm under the impression that the bounce test isn't all that valid anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back