Cleaning Engine Internals

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might work on some valves but not on all. Stuff like this is not a one size fits all solution, if it was then there would be no problems.

A simple 20 min run at 3K RPM and its all set. No its not working like that.
In some turbo/boosted engines they are using sodium filled or titanium valves on the intake not just the exhaust so the valve is designed to dissipate heat quickly. IIRC even the LS engines are using titanium intakes.
You will not bring these up to the temps that would be needed.

The other point is its not just the rear of the valves that is an issue, its the whole pocket.
No way are you getting that area up to those sorts of temps.
This procedure was probably intended for one group of engines, when info like this gets out in the wild it has a habit of becoming the be all and end all fix for every engine.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Don't speak for me Trajan. I will speak for myself. I have not used Auto-RX in years. I gave my last two bottles away to a guy here at bobistheoilguy.com. Let me repeat in case you don't understand: I STOPPED USING AUTO-RX YEARS AGO! The next time you mention my name you be sure to include that.

You also mention SteveSRT8. Unlike you I am not going to try to talk for another person. But anybody can read SteveSRT8's reply above. He talked about the way he had been treated as an Auto-RX customer. He certainly does not seem very happy about how he was treated. Anybody can read what he said and draw his own conclusions.

Trav also talked about how he had been treated as an Auto-RX user. Trav is a professional mechanic in Germany and he has talked about how Kreen worked for him in cleaning some engines.

You talk about how wonderful Auto-RX is and put down other products. But you fail to mention the posters here who have had bad experiences with customer service after buying Auto-RX.

The next time you use my name to try to promote Auto-RX be sure to include I stopped using Auto-RX years ago.

I respect someone's decision to stop using a product because of poor customer service, and have done so myself.

As far as my backing this product, to reiterate - it did nothing when used in a properly maintained vehicle I had from new, but DID work as advertised on a vehicle that was purchased used, with an unknown maintenance history. I will say again, that for those that it does nothing, perhaps your engine is too clean/too well maintained to need that cleaning.

In any case, I have 1 bottle left which will be used in the 88 Dodge my wife just bought herself. After that, I don't plan to need to use a cleaner again.

The thing is, BITOGers will argue about anything, we are a diverse bunch with diverse opinions, and most of us have our preferences when it comes to ... any product. I always try to keep in mind that even though I may not agree with someone else, that doesn't necessarily make them wrong.

Last edited:
Don't speak for me Trajan. I will speak for myself. I have not used Auto-RX in years.

It wasn't me who wrote all those posts. It was you. It was those posts that played a big part in my using it during my anecdote acceptance years.

So don't blame me if you now reject what is by your lights evidence. And don't whine about it now.

I'm giving you credit for steering me to use a product that in your own words many people have used with success.

Don't care if you stopped using it. I haven't used it either. But that doesn't change the fact that you praised it over and over.

Shouldn't of called me out in an above post Mystic.

Last edited:
35.gif

Originally Posted By: Turk

35.gif

Add a beer.
11.gif

Imagine people getting harpooned for changing their minds about a product.

Trajan used and praised mmo from what I've read here, now he attacks it every chance he gets. Mystic used rx, spoke positively about it, now he feels different. Trajan used rx because Mystic endorsed it. WHO CARES? I wonder how many people tried products because they were mentioned here? Careful if you guys like something, post about and then have a different opinion later.

After all this I started reading more old threads, I wouldn't touch the rx stuff with a 10' pole now. So what, who cares? I also noticed people hate products they never tried, because someone else likes it. Is this elementary school?
Bottom line use whatever the [censored] you think is going to clean your engine, if it even needs to be cleaned. If it works shout it out, if it doesn't work, lets hear it.

Have a beer, and lighten up, life it too short.

Originally Posted By: Trajan
Originally Posted By: Turk

35.gif

Need any butter?

Not for me. Now salted pretzels, bring'em on.

Hey rockydee, thanks for what you said. I just barely came back and turned on the computer and here was all of this nonsense.

I have never denied that I used Auto-RX for a while and I thought at first that it worked. It seemed to stop a seal leak on a car I used to own. Maybe it is good for that purpose. But for a lot of reasons I changed my mind about Auto-RX. Like you said, "Imagine people getting harpooned for changing their minds about a product." I did change my mind a long time ago. And I mean a LONG time ago. I can't remember how long it has been since I used Auto-RX. I gave away my last two bottles of Auto-RX to a guy here at bobistheoilguy.com and those bottles had been sitting for so long I had to wipe the dust away before I could ship them.

I get sick and tired of having to list again and again all the reasons I stopped using Auto-RX. I think I had some good reasons and a person is allowed to change their mind-I think.

But this Trajan guy keeps coming back again and again that I used to use Auto-RX and he is saying now he started to use Auto-RX because of my recommendations. I can't remember him ever saying that before-maybe he did. I am not going to get into all of that.

A long time ago he praised MMO and I had to copy what he had said and post what he had said for him to agree that he said he had used MMO. Again, I have never denied that I used to use Auto-RX. I used Auto-RX for a while. And I think I had some good reasons to stop using Auto-RX.

Do I really have to go through again all the reasons?

I kept waiting for proof that Auto-RX worked and it never seemed to come. And some people started to complain about the customer service for Auto-RX. Anybody who has any questions about that can talk to people like Steve and Trav. I can't remember exactly but I think demarpaint also complained about the customer service for Auto-RX. And there were others.

There used to be so many posts here in the Oil Additives Section about Auto-RX that virtually nothing else was being discussed. I posted that there needed to be more discussion about other products (I was still using Auto-RX at the time) and I was flat out attacked. I did not appreciate that very much.

One or more guys stated here that they had been receiving product to promote Auto-RX. Were they telling the truth? I don't know. But I became very angry and stopped using Auto-RX right after that.

These are some of the reasons I stopped using Auto-RX. Are they good enough reasons for somebody to stop using a product?

Trajan is now attacking me for he says encouraging him to use Auto-RX. That is silly on the face of it. He promotes Auto-RX here and apparently believes it works. So why would it bother him that I encouraged him to try Auto-RX? If he believes in Auto-RX why would it matter if the guy who encouraged him to try Auto-RX no longer believes in it? Can everybody see how silly that is? And check out what he says-HE SAYS HE DOES NOT USE IT HIMSELF! And yet he promotes it any time he can and puts down products like MMO and Kreen. If somebody is not even using a product why would they promote that product every chance they get?

Last edited:
In fact, I am going to add something to what I said above. This is what Trajan said above:

"Don't care if you stopped using it. I haven't used it either. But that doesn't change the fact that you praised it over and over."

He says that HE HAS NOT USED IT! So if he has not used Auto-RX, why does he promote it and how does he know if it works or not? I have at least used the product. I like Lubegard products and I have used some Lubegard products. I have used MMO. I have used Tufoil and I think that entitles me to be able to speak about Tufoil. I have used various other products.

And Trajan-a person is allowed to change their mind. I changed my mind and for the reasons given above and other reasons. And maybe the next time you promote Auto-RX you need to tell people that you have not used it yourself but you hear it is good. Because, quote: "I haven't used it either."

Originally Posted By: Trav
It might work on some valves but not on all. Stuff like this is not a one size fits all solution, if it was then there would be no problems.

A simple 20 min run at 3K RPM and its all set. No its not working like that.
In some turbo/boosted engines they are using sodium filled or titanium valves on the intake not just the exhaust so the valve is designed to dissipate heat quickly. IIRC even the LS engines are using titanium intakes.
You will not bring these up to the temps that would be needed.

The other point is its not just the rear of the valves that is an issue, its the whole pocket.
No way are you getting that area up to those sorts of temps.
This procedure was probably intended for one group of engines, when info like this gets out in the wild it has a habit of becoming the be all and end all fix for every engine.

Exactly. Their design seems dependent upon that 3000rpm condition being the norm, and just running a car that has been running tons of city miles or low RPM cruising for 20 minutes at those conditions isn't enough to undo all those deposits.

Having owned one of the original FSI engines, and having it walnut shell blasted at 50k miles (shortly after I took ownership of it as the second owner) I can certainly attest to the fact that deposits absolutely form on the intake valves of these engines. After that point, with a PCV mod in-place and routine applications of the 3000rpm for 20 minute process, I found only minimal deposits when I pulled the intake manifold again 20k miles later. That said, I had it blasted again anyways.

Under Autobahn conditions, it's probably easy to stay in that range much of the time while driving without any tom foolery (like driving in less than the top gear at high speeds). In the US, where we commonly have much lower speed limits (60-65 on motorways where I live primarily) it isn't really the case in the top gear. IIRC, 70 mph in that GTI was just over 2500rpm in 6th gear so it was well under that point during the majority of my highway driving.

--Matt

In fact, I am going to add something to what I said above. This is what Trajan said above:

"Don't care if you stopped using it. I haven't used it either. But that doesn't change the fact that you praised it over and over."

He says that HE HAS NOT USED IT! So if he has not used Auto-RX, why does he promote it and how does he know if it works or not? I have at least used the product. I like Lubegard products and I have used some Lubegard products. I have used MMO. I have used Tufoil and I think that entitles me to be able to speak about Tufoil. I have used various other products.

And Trajan-a person is allowed to change their mind. I changed my mind and for the reasons given above and other reasons. And maybe the next time you promote Auto-RX you need to tell people that you have not used it yourself but you hear it is good. Because, quote: "I haven't used it either."

Yea trajan confused me too. Like I said, who cares who uses what? If it works go for it, people with a brain should search the old threads and read them, the locked ones catch my eye. Lots of agenda it seems. I was doing a count of positives and negatives for rx and mmo just for the heck of it. Then I weeded out the guys dumping in threads that never used a product but dumped on it. You know, my own informal way of making a decision w/o hardcore DATA. Based on my findings I'll keep using mmo, when-if I need to clean up an engine. But hey that's just me, and at the end of the day who cares?

Have a beer mystic, and don't take any of this [censored] to heart! I think some guys just like messing around with other guys, seeing if they can piz them off.

Originally Posted By: Trajan
Don't speak for me Trajan. I will speak for myself. I have not used Auto-RX in years.

It wasn't me who wrote all those posts. It was you. It was those posts that played a big part in my using it during my anecdote acceptance years.

So don't blame me if you now reject what is by your lights evidence. And don't whine about it now.

I'm giving you credit for steering me to use a product that in your own words many people have used with success.

Don't care if you stopped using it. I haven't used it either. But that doesn't change the fact that you praised it over and over.

Shouldn't of called me out in an above post Mystic.

Actually, in the same post, Trajan says he has used Auto-RX and that he has not used it. He says:

"It was those posts that played a big part in my using it during my anecdote acceptance years."

And IN THE SAME POST he says this:

"I haven't used it either."

So which is it? He has either used Auto-RX or he has not.

It really makes no difference. If he does use Auto-RX it should make no difference if the guy who encouraged him to use Auto-RX no longer uses it or not.

If he does not use Auto-RX, THEN WHY DOES HE PROMOTE IT? He should at least say, 'I don't use the product myself but I hear that it is good.'

If anybody can figure out from Trajan's post if he uses Auto-RX or not let me know. Because IN THE SAME POST (or rather reply in a post) he both says that he used it and that he has not used it.

I'll take some honey roasted peanuts and a six pack.

A man has to believe in something. I believe I'll have a beer.

Yeah we know. Drive it 6K miles like a Kamikaze pilot on crack and it works fine.

Oh dear.........one day you'll grow up but we won't hold our breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back