91 Civic 3dr Si Hatch-tire leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier this week I had my 185/60/14 tire repaired (hole in tire).
The tire center patched the inside and plugged it from the outside.
A day later I noticed that the tire was once again flat.
I took it back to the tire shop and they discovered a leak between the edge of the rim and the tire. They told me it could be that the rim was bent and the tire was OK. They said that they would clean it really well and give it another shot.
Basically they said that they would just reinstall the tire.
I picked up the tire and installed it on my 91 Honda Civic Si. A few days later the air again had leaked out but not enough to really call it a flat tire.

This tire is fairly worn down and actually needs replacing. I was surprised that the tire shop actually was willing to repair it. They did mention to me that the tire was worn beyond the point of fixing and that I should consider replacing at least 2 of the tires.

But now I'm facing a dilemma. Could it be that the edge of my rim is really damaged or is the cause of the leak really just an old tire thats ready to go. The tech did show me the air leak when the tire was submerged in water.

I do not want to install to new tires and be dealing with a tire leak due to a damaged rim

Advice greatly appreciated

Alloy wheels can develop corrosion along the bead from water intrusion, or improper tire mounting lube,such as water and soap mixture. I have a new to me car with slow leaks in 2 tires, but since they are worn will clean rims when tires get replaced.

Put LiquiTube in the tire for slow leaks.Except if you have TPMS sensors.

Just get some new tires and find out. It's a 23 year old car, even if a rim is bent you can get a perfectly good wheel at a junkyard for probably $10

I have noticed that tires at the end will start having these niggling little leaks or pick up something that wouldn't bother a good tire. It is the tire, for sure, clean the rim before you have the new tires mounted. Twice, decades apart, I've had used tires go flat while driving. When I inflated the tire, no leaks were found by dunking the wheel in a tank.

Originally Posted By: andyd
I have noticed that tires at the end will start having these niggling little leaks or pick up something that wouldn't bother a good tire. It is the tire, for sure, clean the rim before you have the new tires mounted. Twice, decades apart, I've had used tires go flat while driving. When I inflated the tire, no leaks were found by dunking the wheel in a tank.

will do that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back