UOA M1 EP 5W-30 in 2001 silverado 3,056 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are two tests from one oci in my dad's truck. The oci was about 27 months.

The first test was at 16 months / 1k miles and was mostly 14 mile round trips with only a few minutes cool down between turnaround ( 7 miles out and 7 back ). With an occasional trip of 40-50 miles.

The last 11 months were more of the same but from early january to late april he made a lot of 2 mile trips between home and my uncle's farm. My dad drove 2 miles to the farm ( morning ), and about four hours later went home. He did the same thing in the late afternoon/evening. So 8 miles/day at 2 miles at a time with plenty of cooling in between (it was a weeeeee bit cool this past winter).

2001 silverado with 5.3 V8 ( 94,111 miles )

M1 EP 5w-30 with M1 filter

Element @ ------(3,056 / 27 mo ) -------(1,032 / 16 mo ) -----(universal 5,800)

Aluminum -------( 10 ) ------------------( 3 ) ------------------( 3 )

Chromium -------( 1 ) -------------------( 0 ) ------------------( 1 )

Iron -------------( 40 ) ------------------( 19 ) -----------------( 19 )

Copper ----------( 84 ) ------------------( 24 ) -----------------( 27 )

Lead -------------( 7 ) -------------------( 3 ) ------------------( 7 )

Tin ---------------( 3 ) -------------------( 2 ) ------------------( 1 )

Moly -------------( 78 ) ------------------( 77 )

Nickel ------------( 2 ) -------------------( 1 )

Manganese ------( 2 ) --------------------( 1 )

Silver and titanium all zeros

Potassium -------( 7 ) --------------------( 0 )

Boron ------------( 39 ) -------------------( 82 )

Silicon -----------( 14 ) -------------------( 8 )

Sodium ----------( 33 ) --------------------( 21 )

Calcium ---------( 1127 ) -----------------( 1187 )

Magnesium ------( 498 ) -------------------( 612 )

Phosphorus ------( 631 ) -------------------( 695 )

Zinc --------------( 726 ) -------------------( 744 )

Barium all zeros

Vis @ 210° F ------( 56.2 ) ------------------( 61.0 )

cSt @ 100° C ------( 9.11 ) ------------------( 10.51 )

Flash pt. -----------( 385 ) -------------------( 420 )

Fuel % -------------(
Antifreeze ----------( ? ) -----------------------( 0.0 )

Water = none

Insolubles % --------( 0.4 ) --------------------( 0.2 )

TBN -----------------( 3.7 ) --------------------( 4.2 )

TAN -----------------( 5.3 ) --------------------( 2.6 )

Blackstone said to monitor due to possible coolant contamination and in general they've seen higher metals in samples due to the rough winter.

I did drain and refill with VML and a Fram ultra but now wish I had just pulled a sample. I'm a bit surprised by the TBN/TAN....It's really hanging in there.

I'd love to [censored] and moan about the short OCI mileage wise....but I'm in the same boat with my 04 F150. I'm looking at a 4k OCI with M1 5-20 EX just cause it was same price as M1 5-20. I'm doing prob 10 months and gonna drain. I know I can go much further....BUT I WONT!

Thanks for posting. This is an interesting on.

The TBN looks good, yet the TAN is high with little oxidation. Does somebody have an idea here??

I mentioned the eight miles per day, two miles at a time between early january and late april....that was every single day from 1/7/14 to 4/28/14.

I was sure the oil was shot after that and 2.25 years total time. I was wrong. As Gabe noted above, there's no oxidative thickening to see. The wear metals are ugly but the oil is still in great shape. No bearing corrosion to complain about.

The 3k oci was strictly coincidence as I just figured it was time to get that oil out based on the use it had seen.

This was a learning experience for me...hope someone else got food for thought from it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigt61
Nice report - any make up oil added in over 2 years? How full was it at drain?

No makeup oil. It was down 3/4 of a quart, which has been a normal thing for most of the trucks miles.

FWIW...It has had M1 in it for several years (previously the regular version). I have a voa for the maxlife that went in and will track that to see how long it holds up. The voa was posted last summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back