Garaging your older car---fire hazards!?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK cars have been made for? 80-100 years? and they cant make a ignition switch that doest catch fire? a simple knife switch from RS will fix the trouble

We had a truck at my office catch fire after being parked for about 4 hours. It was a fairly new at the time Ford. I think the official cause was related to the cruise control module.

That being said, I keep two cars and a motorcycle in the garage. I am more worried about battery chargers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
We had a truck at my office catch fire after being parked for about 4 hours. It was a fairly new at the time Ford. I think the official cause was related to the cruise control module.

That being said, I keep two cars and a motorcycle in the garage. I am more worried about battery chargers.

There was a cruise control recall on F150 over a few years span.

As far as the original post goes, there are WAYYYYYYYY bigger things to worry about around the house. I keep 2 cars, all my lawn equipment, a bunch of cans of different chemicals like carb and brake cleaner. And, my gas water heater is in the garage. I guess I'm just asking for it.

Originally Posted By: morris
OK cars have been made for? 80-100 years? and they cant make a ignition switch that doest catch fire? a simple knife switch from RS will fix the trouble

Well, the vast majority don't catch fire, do they.
It just shows how difficult it is to engineer a reliable mass produced product, and frankly I think the vast majority of manufacturers do a great job. But even mistakes with extremely low probabilities of occurring will still come back to bite you when you sell hundreds of thousands or millions.

What's more scary is when aftermarket systems are installed by amateurs, especially with switches from RS. The chances of a fire must go up hundreds of times.

I've always had battery ground disconnects on my project cars and leave the hood off the catch when in the garage. It only takes a moment to lift it, spin the nut and drop the hood closed.

Originally Posted By: AdRock
And, my gas water heater is in the garage. I guess I'm just asking for it.

Well, that's why vents are installed, usually required by local building code, and why the water heater is on a pedestal above those.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
Disconnecting the battery is perfectly sensible precaution with older cars and you don't have to worry about re-tuning the radio presets. Just use a battery post switch.

That is the best answer to the problem

There is no problem...

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm

Yes....the 97 F 150 I had wad recalled for the cruise control problem. Why Ford wired the truck that way is just crazy.

Like you, I keep my motorcycle and atvs in separate sheds that are connected to battery tenders......guess I need to worry now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back