Orange Can of Death in a Ferrari GTO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out this video and see the orange Fram oil filter in the engine bay:

http://youtu.be/UKm-wcxkl5U

Owner is confident enough to use it. Then again, the way he drives the car is an indication that longevity or museum quality may not be the goal here.

Still, if I had this car, I'd drive it like that too.

Considering FRAM catalogs the PH28041 for only Ferrari applications, I would bet it is not your standard fiber end cap design.

Given the limited application and low volume, it is a good chance that FRAM does not even make that filter and probably contracts it out to another maker.

Also, a limited search on some the Ferrari forums give it good reviews and say it is a thicker can and is even used by some Chevy hot rodders because of this.

It but I had a dream that we were driving someplace and a Fram OCOD separated the can from the base plate. We were stranded.

We do have a Fram cartridge in the vw, and an ultra on my truck.

My optometrist had a Ferrari Daytona about 25 yrs ago. The 1st thing I noticed when he opened the hood was those 2 orange cans sticking up.

Originally Posted By: chrly919
My optometrist had a Ferrari Daytona about 25 yrs ago. The 1st thing I noticed when he opened the hood was those 2 orange cans sticking up.

A friend of mine imported a Ferrari back in the '70s. I do not remember the model, but it also had the twin orange cans. One of which was a PH8......The other was identical, but with a left hand thread.

Does not the media adhesive bite into [porous] fiber end caps better than [non-porous] metal end caps?

Originally Posted By: chrly919

You're from Jersey?

Seems like using Wagner "Flight of the Valkyries" is highly inappropriate with a Ferrari, just like the Fram oil filter.

I think the owner was celebrating. His Ferrari was not in the shop being repaired, again.

Originally Posted By: steveh
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Nothing wrong with the Extra Guard.
I don't see you using one.

Huh? Nothing wrong with driving a Honda....and I do not drive a Honda?

Look up pictures of vintage V-12 Ferraris when they were new. You will find 2 orange Fram filters on most of them.

I would want to use a filter with a more modern design to protect an extremely expensive engine, but sometimes people's priorities are making the car look like brand new down to the smallest detail.

I'm sure they are fine, Ferrari restorers wouldn't use them if they caused problems.

Also don't assume, they might be something else painted up to look like the original Fram filters.

Last edited:
I've done a lot of online dreaming, looking at exotic cars for sale. And I've got to say, Fram filters are very popular with the mechanics that work on exotic cars. The orange can stands out in pictures of engine bays. And it shows up quite often in everything from Ferrari to Lotus.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
I've done a lot of online dreaming, looking at exotic cars for sale. And I've got to say, Fram filters are very popular with the mechanics that work on exotic cars. The orange can stands out in pictures of engine bays. And it shows up quite often in everything from Ferrari to Lotus.

Were those special Fram filters built for a special car, or were they the generic Fram filters seen on ordinary cars?

For many years, Fram has put a textured grip on their spin-on filters, but I don't see that on the special filters built for exotics and race engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back