car won't start...

Status
Not open for further replies.
70 Mk III - been starting just fine, moved it this morning to wash it, got back in to start it after the wash and nothing - starter doesn't turn over. When you turn key to start, it doesn't seem like it's getting the signal to crank the starter. I don't have the old "solenoid on the fender". The PO had moved the solenoid to the starter. I replaced the starter once a few years ago because the teeth were bad, but it still started. I even tried jumping it and nothing. Never had any starting issues before. I made sure all the connections seemed sound.

Any ideas guys?

It wouldn't turn over with the key, so you tried to "jump" the terminals on the starter relay and it still won't turn over?

From the brief description, it sounds like a bad connection at the battery or starter.

edit: Re-read the post and I believe I misinterpreted it. I agree with the others- wiggle the gear shifter to try and engage the P/N safety switch. Alternatively you could try to drop it into neutral. Sometimes that will get it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
It wouldn't turn over with the key, so you tried to "jump" the terminals on the starter relay and it still won't turn over?

From the brief description, it sounds like a bad connection at the battery or starter.

edit: Re-read the post and I believe I misinterpreted it. I agree with the others- wiggle the gear shifter to try and engage the P/N safety switch. Alternatively you could try to drop it into neutral. Sometimes that will get it.

Tried dropping it into neutral and pulling the shifter to the left while in park, still nada.

1. Replace the battery if it is more than 2 years old.
You could pull it and have it checked.

2. Replace the starter if it is more than 5 years old.

Last weekend I spent Saturday replacing the starter in my wifes 2004 Nissan Xterra. Took me most of the day to figure out how to get the thing out.
(Shorty 1/4" ratchet with a 3/8 adapter did the job once I had the top bolt to the starter loosened. I used a low clearance breaker bar to start it, and the shorty to get it the rest of the way out.)
2 weeks prior to the Starter issue the car just died on a warm day. The battery was 4 years old, on a 2 year warrantied battery that's very good. So I went and got a 3 year warrantied battery from Advanced.
It was time that the battery was replaced anyway, but my wife continued to have starting issues. Slow to crank, and it would take 2-3 times before the engine caught and started.

These things happen most often with warmer weather.
Changes in the weather, extremely cold winters followed by warm summers, kill electrical equipment for some reason.

I wish you luck. I understand your frusteration.

Sounds like you got something electrical wet when you washed the car. Let it sit with the hood up for a while and/or spray all your electrical connections with WD-40.

Take a test light and get a helper- probe the starter relay (solenoid) and have your helper turn the key to "start" to see if it's getting juice at that terminal. If so, give it sharp rap or two with a ratchet or heavy screwdriver- it'll probably start.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
1. Replace the battery if it is more than 2 years old.
You could pull it and have it checked.

2. Replace the starter if it is more than 5 years old.

For starters DO NOT do what SuperDave said. It gets expensive to just throw parts at a problem. Start testing things as others mentioned and you will find the problem and save lots of dough. Based on what you said I would check you battery connections first.

Checked wiring, all seemed to point to the solenoid. I put a new starter/solenoid in, still kaput.

Started playing around with the wiring under the steering column and it started. It's still intermittent. Guess I'll have to spend some time under the dash/steering column to find the wiring problem.

Thanks for all the help guys!

btw, starter was only $40, no biggy.

Sometimes it could be bad grounding.

Did you torque the bolts of the starter to specs (for good grounding) and checked the battery ground wires?

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
...Did you torque the bolts of the starter to specs (for good grounding) and checked the battery ground wires...

Yep, did that.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
I don't have the old "solenoid on the fender". The PO had moved the solenoid to the starter.

I have been following your project with interest, and hope you can find a switch to get it back running again.

I wonder why the last guy moved the solenoid TO the starter? A lot of people with GMs do the opposite, to prevent heat-soaking the solenoid, I think.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
I don't have the old "solenoid on the fender". The PO had moved the solenoid to the starter.

I have been following your project with interest, and hope you can find a switch to get it back running again.

I wonder why the last guy moved the solenoid TO the starter? A lot of people with GMs do the opposite, to prevent heat-soaking the solenoid, I think.

I think he did it because it's easier to get the starters with the built in solenoids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back