Linux disk benchmark utility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a linux newbie, so please bear with me. So far, everything I'm finding isn't very user friendly and requires executing a bunch of CLI commands. I guess that's the beauty of linux, but isn't there some simple GUI-driven user-friendly app for linux (ubuntu) that can do what CrystalDiskMark or ATTO can do in Windows?

Thanks!

Thanks. From the links you provided, only Iozone and Bonnie do disk benchmarking, but they don't have a GUI.

Will try to run Bonnie from CLI now.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
hdparm is CLI but pretty easy to use

Is it basically the hdparm -t command or can it do more elaborate benchmarking stuff?
smile.gif

Also, Ubuntu 14.04 has this built in "Disks" utility, and under there, there is a "Benchmark" option, but every time I try to run it, it tells me "Error unmounting filesystem".

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Also, Ubuntu 14.04 has this built in "Disks" utility, and under there, there is a "Benchmark" option, but every time I try to run it, it tells me "Error unmounting filesystem".

You cannot unmount the filesystem you're logged into. Try it from live media.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
You cannot unmount the filesystem you're logged into. Try it from live media.

Thanks! It worked!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
hdparm is CLI but pretty easy to use

Is it basically the hdparm -t command or can it do more elaborate benchmarking stuff?
smile.gif

It is a robust application; the only benchmarking application I have any experience with.

The MAN pages: http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?hdparm

thumbsup2.gif

The whole thing started because of a USB Flash Drive I recently bought. It's 32 GB UBS 3.0 drive that Amazon reviewers were reporting very high transfer speeds on. So I bought one. It came formatted as FAT32. I ran a few benchmark tests in Windows 7 and was only getting about 43 MB/s read and 15 MB/s write maximum, which was significantly below what others were getting.

Then I formatted to ext4 and installed ubuntu on it and hdparm was showing more than 100 MB/s speeds. Then I formated to NTFS and tested in Windows again the next day, and now I'm getting over 200 MB/s read speed, but write speed still lacking somewhat at only about 37 MB/s, but still a lot better than what I was getting initially. I even formatted to FAT32 again, and am also getting similar speeds now as with NTFS.

Still scratching my head why the speeds were significantly lower on the first day, and I did run them multiple times to verify. Maybe somehow my PC did not recognize it as USB 3.0 initially and was treating it as a 2.0 device?

I even formatted to FAT32 again, and am also getting similar speeds now as with NTFS.

This is just a guess, and must not be mistaken for fact. I wonder if when you re-formatted it FAT32 (in Windows?) perhaps it was formatted using Microsoft's exFAT filesystem, which I *think* (again: do not confuse with fact) was developed specifically for external devices and may provide you with better R/W performance on flash media.

I think these days Ubuntu and most Linux flavours now support exFAT out of the box (if not, there are user space exFAT drivers out there) but formatting a drive in Ubuntu separates exFAT and FAT. Perhaps Windows does not?

Also, the sector size can have profound effects on R/W speeds depending the files being thrown around. In my recording studio I used to format FAT32 with sectors as large as was allowed (256kB maybe?) instead of the standard 4kB. I have no clue how this factor manifests itself on flash media versus a HDD, though.

This is just a guess, and must not be mistaken for fact. I wonder if when you re-formatted it FAT32 (in Windows?) perhaps it was formatted using Microsoft's exFAT filesystem, which I *think* (again: do not confuse with fact) was developed specifically for external devices and may provide you with better R/W performance on flash media.

Nah... W7 gives you distinct choices whether to format using NTFS, FAT32, or exFAT. I had chosen FAT32.

Quote:

I think these days Ubuntu and most Linux flavours now support exFAT out of the box (if not, there are user space exFAT drivers out there) but formatting a drive in Ubuntu separates exFAT and FAT.

Thanks. Didn't know that. I thought ext4 was the preferred format for Linux, so that's what I went with. Doesn't matter, really. If I ever need to access the contents of that drive in W7, there's a free utility out there called Ext2Fsd that makes it easy.

Quote:
Also, the sector size can have profound effects on R/W speeds depending the files being thrown around. In my recording studio I used to format FAT32 with sectors as large as was allowed (256kB maybe?) instead of the standard 4kB. I have no clue how this factor manifests itself on flash media versus a HDD, though.

Valid point. I don't know what the sector size was set to from the factory. When I re-formated to FAT32, I chose the default setting which ended up being 16 KB.

Thanks. Didn't know that. I thought ext4 was the preferred format for Linux, so that's what I went with.

ext4 **is** the preferred filesystem for a Linux installation. There are others with various types of benefits but ext4 is a commonality among them all.

It is just a considerable pain in the you-know-what to ever get Windows or Mac to effectively and reliably read and write ext2/3/4, if that is ever going to be a concern for you... If not, ext4 is probably what you're after!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back