2005 Chevy Uplander oil leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2005 Uplander in my signature has an oil leak. It started maybe 2 or 3 oil changes ago...so less than a year ago. It has the GM 3.5 60 degree V6. The oil pan is coated in oil on the bottom, and it flings up and covers the tranny pan in oil as well. It hasnt started to drip on the ground yet. If you are on the ground, and look up the front of the engine up toward the oil filter, there is oil running down the filter as well. I dont think its the filter though because the last 3 filters have had oil dripping down them. So I am guessing the leak could be further up the block? Not sure. I have Edge 10w30 EP in it now, it will be changed in another 3 months or so, and I will go with a 5w30 high mileage. Either Max Life, M1 HM, or QS defy. Not sure yet. Do any of you have this engine, and have this issue? What do you think it could be? Only has 114K on it. Looses about a quart every 3-3500 miles.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Did you use a drain plug washer?

No, these do not take a drain plug washer. It has a rubber seal permanently attached to the drain plug. As stated above, the oil is leaking from ABOVE the oil pan, and coating the bottom of the oil pan.

EDIT: let me see if I can take a pic...

Last edited:
I have wiped this down every OCI. You can see how it starts to coat the pan and when driving on the highway it "flings" the oil back to the transmission pan and coats it as well. Just not sure where the oil is coming from.
20140704_1446151_zpsfa623bbf.jpg

20140704_1446011_zps7981773c.jpg

This is a good pic here. You can see how it comes down the side of the pan from above, then flings it off directly behind onto the transmission pan.
20140704_1445551_zpsba895bb9.jpg

Check the bolts on the oil pan to see if there tight.

Since you wont be changing out the oil in 3 months your better off using some ATP-205.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Could be an oil pressure sending unit leaking?

This. Had an Audi where I had to replace this part...6 dollar fix.

Would this be curable by a high mileage oil? As far as slowing / stopping the leak? Again its leaking / burning about 1 quart per 3000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back