Weed and grass killer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a propane torch, too. It's great for catching the seeds in the Fall when they're about to drop.

Don't forget to NOT use it around the lawnmower and the gasoline. Sometimes it is easy to forget that when you're out doing yard work.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Keep in mind that Roundup is totally organic. Within moments of touching the soil, it becomes inert.

Can you link me to one credible source that claims glyphosate, the main ingredient in Roundup, is organic?

It is not organic.

Glyphosate-2D-skeletal.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyphosate

Quote:
Glyphosate adsorbs strongly to soil and is not expected to move vertically below the six inch soil layer; residues are expected to be immobile in soil. Glyphosate is readily degraded by soil microbes to AMPA and carbon dioxide. Glyphosate and AMPA are not likely to move to ground water due to their strong adsorptive characteristics. However, glyphosate does have the potential to contaminate surface waters due to its aquatic use patterns and through erosion, as it adsorbs to soil particles suspended in runoff. If glyphosate reached surface water, it would not be broken down readily by water or sunlight.[22]

The half-life of glyphosate in soil ranges between 2 and 197 days; a typical field half-life of 47 days has been suggested. Soil and climate conditions affect glyphosate's persistence in soil. The median half-life of glyphosate in water varies from a few days to 91 days.[23]

According to the National Pesticide Information Center fact sheet, Glyphosate is not included in compounds tested for by the Food and Drug Administration's Pesticide Residue Monitoring Program, nor in the United States Department of Agriculture's Pesticide Data Program. However a field test showed that lettuce, carrots, and barley contained glyphosate residues up to one year after the soil was treated with 3.71 pounds of glyphosate per acre (4.15 kg per hectare).[23]

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
It is not organic.

That's what happens when marketers (or hippies, depending upon which side of the debate is using the term) get to decide what "organic" means, instead of chemists. If I take a salad and use Roundup as salad dressing, the salad is still organic, even though the dressing won't be. 2,4-D will be an organic salad dressing, though.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Epsom salts and warm water works very well. ....

I seriously doubt this. It's not been my experience at all. Why? Because when I was in the rose club we used handfulls of Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) on newly-planted bare-root roses to encourage them to produce roots. They thrived on it. It surely didn't kill them.

If you want to quickly kill grass or weeds, use a torch, near boiling water or a grass/weed killer. Just be sure to mix in about 4 tblspns of dish soap or liquid laundry detergent per gallon to make sure it 'sticks' to what you're trying to kill. Otherwise, it'll bead up and roll off the leaves like rain on a freshly waxed car.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
This is as organic and safe as it gets and 99% effective
38-926.jpg

I heard that can lead to heart troubles...

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
It is not organic.

That's what happens when marketers (or hippies, depending upon which side of the debate is using the term) get to decide what "organic" means, instead of chemists. If I take a salad and use Roundup as salad dressing, the salad is still organic, even though the dressing won't be. 2,4-D will be an organic salad dressing, though.
wink.gif

Chemically organic means carbon based. Environmentally it means no additives or poisons. Roundup fails on both counts.

What about Ortho Brush B Gone? Is it one of these "bad" weed killers too? I go through a gallon or two per year on the posion ivy.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

If it kills honeybee's. Good.

Please tell me this is a joke!?

This subject matter probably should be banned here the same as sex, religion, politics, and global warming.

My point here is that it is extremely difficult these days to assess the information that is presented to us. Proceed cautiously.

Rat407, that's a scary article that your link goes to. But, one has to consider the source: "The World's #1 Natural Health Website".

Here are two links that question the validity of retired Purdue scientist Dr. Huber who is cited in your link:

http://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=4521

"This particular article addresses Huber's claims that Roundup Ready crops are more susceptible to certain diseases. However, the claims do not appear to be documented with any scientifically valid data or peer-reviewed publications."

"It can be difficult to sort out scientific fact from opinion (especially on the internet). Just because something is said or written about frequently it is not necessarily true in science."

http://www.biofortified.org/2011/02/does-glyphosate-restrict-crop-mineral-uptake/

"This isn’t the first time that Dr. Huber’s colleages have attempted to do damage control in response to “greatly exaggerated” reports by Dr. Huber about minerals and glyphosate. In April of 2010 Dr. Huber’s colleagues at Purdue University Extension released Glyphosate – Manganese Interactions and Impacts on Crop Production: The Controversy, referring interested persons to Iowa State University Extension. They state that high pH, high organic matter soils cause manganese to be less available to the crop whether or not glyphosate is present.

Update: Extension agents are still working to correct what they see as misinformation spread by Dr. Huber. Anne Dorrance, expert in soybean pathology and extension agent at Ohio State has a 14 March 2011 article in Ag Professional: Glyphosate Effects on Soybean Diseases. She directly assesses the claims that glyphosate use has increased incidence of disease, backed up with literature and her personal experience."

The damage is from GMO Monsanto Roundup. Reason GM glysophate resistant crops heavy doses are being applied. Weed resistant glysophate requires heavier doses but they can do it because of the glysophate resistant food crops.

ALSO http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/weed-whacking-herbicide-p/ CHANGES the ballgame regarding Monsanto Roundup.

If you notice the Monsanto Roundup compared to other generic glysophate it has a faster more effective results due to the surfactant being used. It penetrates the leaf tissues enabling the glysophate to more efective. You need a bio-friendly surfactant so the glysophate can breakdown. Aquadic glysophate which is sold as straight glysophate you need to add an aquatic friendly surfactant.

The inert surfactant Monsato uses in their Roundup product is not bio-friendly...in fact toxic and kills the microbes in the soil. In fact the surfactant is being used as a semi pre-emergent in the GMO crops....heavy doses basically sterilizing the soil so weeds can't grow back acting like a pre-emergent.

Straight Glysophate was first tested in a highly well condtion organic soil with a healthy bio-microbe activity. It chewed the glysophate apart breaking it down. Also climate conditions, different seasons microbe activity may vary. In the tropics with no cold temp is not the same as cold snow conditions. Thus glysophate was labelled as an organic herbicide. If it's safe for organics it must be SAFE. Safe means it needs to breakdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back