Another good reason not to buy used tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Driving up the freeway a couple of days ago, I felt a vibration, and things in my work van were rattling. Huh, says I, must have a tire out of balance. Took an exit on to a 55 mph road, and in about half a mile, BLAM! and a smell of tire smoke. Got off to the side, and called a tow. Discount Tire sold me two 235/75/15 Goodyear Wranglers for $218 out the door, and I was on my way. Considering that the used tires I had on cost $100 total, but only lasted a couple of months, the new tires should be lower cost per mile. If I had wanted to be really cheap, I could have gotten the GT Radial Champiro VP1's for $183.46. I think the Goodyears will be better.

I've bought used tires from time to time when I felt like being cheap, and sometimes they work out OK. But sometimes they don't.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Not being rude, but $100 for used tires is silly financial decision.

Uh, not being rude, but that was more-or-less my point.

Luckily you did not get into an accident and wreck your van or get hurt.

BTW... DTD has killer black Friday deals on tires with free shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
How did the tire fail... ? Yes, it had a blowout, but why? The usual culprit is underinflation causing overheating... which could happen to a brand new tire as well. When did you last check tire pressures...?

You are blaming "used" tires, but in reality, it could have been anything... including a used tire failing because of hidden damage...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: geeman789
How did the tire fail... ? Yes, it had a blowout, but why? The usual culprit is underinflation causing overheating... which could happen to a brand new tire as well. When did you last check tire pressures...?

You are blaming "used" tires, but in reality, it could have been anything... including a used tire failing because of hidden damage...

That could have happened to a new tire too. My father is running used tires on his truck with no problems

...or running over road debris! Been there & done that.

Checked tire pressures about a week ago.

Used tires of unknown age, origin and mismatched tread are a liability. I don't care for others being so careless with the roadway safety of everyone. There's one thing to be said for some pull offs that are young, consistent, and history known. It's another to take what is black and round to save money and compromise everyone elses' safety too.

True point OP, cheers for doing the smart thing!

I used to buy used tires quite often for my truck due to the many unavoidable flats I get each year, but not for the wife or kids. I pay attention, whereas they do not. A decade ago, good used tires were plentiful (people had money and take offs were common), but not the case any longer, at least in my region of the country. I buy load range e anymore, and hope for the best concerning roadside hazards.

I've bought "used" tires for years, but watch what I buy. Usually from a salvage yard and I pick the wreck they came from. Best deal I ever made was 4 tires from a Pick up with less than 500 miles on it that was t-boned by a semi.

Another deal I made was from a private party, 4 used tires from Discount Tire, fellow drove 4 miles and tranny went out, Discount would not take a return. Was I sure the tranny went out? Well Ya, mini van was still sitting in the guys driveway, he was parting it out.

Be sharp on how you deal, there are buys out there. Seldom pay more than $25--$30 bucks for tires. Course I have to have them mounted and balanced, but old school buddy has a repair shop that takes care of that.

Walmart tire and lube also has very good deals on tires.

Only if you like cheap Chinese tires specially made for Walmart!

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

Lets see you back that statement up!

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

Lets see you back that statement up!

Goodyear makes tires exclusively for walmart:

http://www.goodyear.com/email/faq/walmart.html

I do not intend to, or need to, defend my citation to avoid entrapping myself in your logical fallacy.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
So are those Goodyear tires made in China?

And is this true of all the other brands WalMart carries?

I just bought Goodyear tires from Walmart a couple weeks ago. They say Made in USA on them.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
In other words: you concede.

I consider the fact that Goodyear makes WM specific tires an amusing anecdote, and am taking neither side of any argument.
wink.gif

If others have other data about non-GY brands they may feel free to contribute to help the greater understanding, or lurk from fear of getting their heads bitten off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back