2014 Genuine Hooligan Gear Oil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently just got a new Genuine Hooligan 170i. This is my first scooter, I am having a lot of fun riding it around, seems like a great machine to hone the basics of motorcycle riding before moving up to something bigger and more powerfull.

So far I have 248 miles logged, and soon it will be time for the first engine and gear oil change at around the 500 mile mark. For the first 2 engine oil changes I am going with Rotella T6 15w40 conventional. I will then switch to Motul 300v 10w40 synthetic.

My question is about the gear oil. They recommend the conventional in the engine in the beginning to help with break in with this small motor, but what about the gear box, is it safe to switch to synthetic right at the first service? I have some Redline 75w140 synthetic gear oil ready to go, I can't think of any reason to not put it in at the 500 mile mark.

I know it is probably overkill to use these fluids in a small scooter like this, but it is kind of like when I got my first new car, I want to bady it.

Here are some pics of my Hooligan:
kJ9CI4M.jpg

Gk9ajzt.jpg

QjHMYEh.jpg

You must mean Rotella T5......T6 is full synthetic, and does not come in 15/40, to my knowledge.

If the gearbox calls for 140 weight, no reason not to go with Redline right off the bat. Have fun, and keep the shiny side up.....And that cute scooter out of someone's grill.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
You must mean Rotella T5......T6 is full synthetic, and does not come in 15/40, to my knowledge.

Oh yeah, I had a brain [censored] when I wrote that, it is just regular Rotella conventional.

Thanks for the info about changing the gear oil, I'll go with the Redline first change!

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog

If the gearbox calls for 140 weight, no reason not to go with Redline right off the bat. Have fun, and keep the shiny side up.....And that cute scooter out of someone's grill.
"East mountains,NM? Sandias, Manzanitos,Monzanos,Sacramentos,Organ,Oscura,San Andreas, Sangre de Cristo? Tijeras,Cedar Crest,San Antonio,Chilili,Torreon,Escobosa? Is it Escobosa?

A lot of scooters use motor oil in their gear box. Are you sure
your uses the heavier weight gear oil? If so, go ahead and change it now. As to oil in the motor, Id suggest sticking with
Rotella T and changing every 1000-1500 mi as those little motors get run wide open most of the time.

I won't say that none use motor oil, but all I have seen (from a little Chinese 50 to my Burgman) use gear oil.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
A lot of scooters use motor oil in their gear box. Are you sure
your uses the heavier weight gear oil? If so, go ahead and change it now.

The manual calls for 140 weight gear oil, but the common consensus is to use 75w140 or 85w140 since they are widely available, even the dealer uses them.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, I'll go with the synthetic gear oil on the first service.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I won't say that none use motor oil, but all I have seen (from a little Chinese 50 to my Burgman) use gear oil.

Older Vespas used to spec 2T or SAE30/10w-30 non-detergent motor oil for the gear box. This is before gear oil was common. You can actually buy 10w-30 gear oil at many Vespa dealerships.

It's also not for the transmission, but the final drive at the rear axle.

The only reason not to use synthetic during break-in is cost. Using expensive synthetic for the short OCIs during break-in wastes money.

If you haven't already, you should check out Modern Buddy.

Last edited:
I'll check the manual when I get home, but I think my Burg calls for gear oil.

Up thru '09 the 400 was motor oil. I know some guys that used the lighter weight
gear oil but it wasn't specified at that time. Perhaps they've changed in later
years. The 650 used motor oil in it transmission but did use gear oil in the rear.
Maybe this is what you were thinking of.

On a small motor like that, I would dump it well before 500 miles on the first change.

Id be very careful with certain tranny oils, which could have slipping issues if your tranny usues friction discs , 15w40 rotella is a strong clutch oil, assuming your tranny recommends a standard motor oil in the transmission and not something else.

Specific gear oils range widely in their frictional abilities also, so Id really know wht rating you need, and there's more to it than just viscosity, there are rating systems on gear oil, some have more friction modifiers than others, and that could mean good or bad news for you..

Last edited:
I got the gear oil changed, but I sure as the heck can't figure out where the oil filter is. I've taken plastic pieces off, looked up under every nook and cranny I could find, but no sign of it. I'm sure I'll feel stupid for how obvious it is once I figure it out.

The gear oil was dead simple to change, the oil should be as well, except for finding the filter!

Change oil now. Use any 40 weight oil you want, just change OFTEN. It's important in scooter engines!! With CVT, these motors spin at redline all the time.

Buy cheap, but good oil and change every 600 mile. I recommend: M1 0w40, Rotella T6 5w40, 50/50 mix of Valvoline VR1 10w30 and 20w50. These are my top 3 cheap yet effective choices for a scooter.

Changec oil OFTEN. You could also run any name brand 10w40 in Dino or synthetic. Just change often.

Run M1 75w90 gear oil. Change every 3000 miles.

Change oil now. Use any 40 weight oil you want, just change OFTEN. It's important in scooter engines!! With CVT, these motors spin at redline all the time.

Buy cheap, but good oil and change every 600 mile. I recommend: M1 0w40, Rotella T6 5w40, 50/50 mix of Valvoline VR1 10w30 and 20w50. These are my top 3 cheap yet effective choices for a scooter.

Changec oil OFTEN. You could also run any name brand 10w40 in Dino or synthetic. Just change often.

congrats on the new Hooligan...as with other PGO products (made for Genuine Scooter Company), the Hooligan has many advantages over other Asian made scooters in the fact that it takes a screw-on oil filter in addition to the pathetic oil screen; your engine oil will be filtered alot better and oil change intervals are usually double that of scooters without oil filters;

there is nothing wrong with good ole 15w-40 conventional oil which protects hard working diesel engines for thousands & thousands of miles...

I used to own several Genuine Buddy 125's and went between conventional oil with 1000 mile OCI's & synthetic oil with 2000 mile OCI's; if I still owned one I would be using conventional 15w-40 with 1500-2000 mile OCI's; unlike a motorcycle with a shared sump, scooters with CVT transmissions don't have the oil being sheared down by gears in a transmission and will stay in grade longer...

as far as gear oil goes, I was using Valvoline Synblend 85-140 with 4000 mile OCI's after changing at 600 miles & 2000 miles...monograde 140wt flows like molasses in winter/colder temps and going to a multigrade allows easier flowing in cold temps and proper protection level at normal operating temperatures...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Phishin
Run M1 75w90 gear oil. Change every 3000 miles.

Not all scooters need oil changes that frequently...my Burgman calls for 3K.

I found the parts diagram for the Hooligan online, there is no screw on type oil filter listed. Seems if it was there it would be shown with the oil cooler assembly, but there is nothing. I am disappointed that there isn't one because of the obvious benefits it would provide. I guess I will be doing the oil changes much more frequently than I planned.

Not all scooters need oil changes that frequently...my Burgman calls for 3K.

What is that assumption based on? Honda recommends 3-5k mile OCI's for the Ruckus. Anyone going that long will DEFINITELY have a useless engine in 2 or 3 oil changes.

A 650cc engine runs a different RPM profile than an engine <200cc. Plus, you have spin on oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back