Purolator PureOne PL10111 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

This filter had around 4,800 miles on it when changed. The oil used was Pennzoil 5W-30. It came off of the 2003 Chevy Malibu 3100 V6 that I used to maintain. There was one torn pleat, but I was having trouble getting my camera to focus. Hopefully it's still visible in the pics. It was completely separated like I've seen in other Purolators I've cut open. Date code of filter: April 2013

20140703_182232_resized_zpsc031ee5b.jpg

20140703_182320_resized_zpsdf0eaeda.jpg

20140703_181245_resized_zps47fa7a2b.jpg

Originally Posted By: Ram01
Perfect

Perfect ... with media tears.
crazy.gif

how do you break down the date code of the pureone? Which date ranges are good and bad?

I have a couple left that i may toss because of this torn pleat epidemic....

Just bought a pair of fram ultra for about 5.xx shipped off amazon. Subscribe and save via Amazon and utilize fram's ultra rebate.

Last edited:
Yes perfect, only 1 tear.
How many years will it take Purolator to recover from this debacle? They had such excellent reputation.

Hmmm - is this the first non metal crimped seam to show a tear?

I don't check every p1 tear thread, but I had thought there was some consensus around the metal crimp and wide pleats...

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Good filter for $3

Yeah, its totally worth the $5 you save over a decent filter, I would rather have the $5 in my pocket and have premature engine wear. Oh, wait....

Originally Posted By: GreenFocus
How many years will it take Purolator to recover from this debacle? They had such excellent reputation.

They only care if their sales and profit volume decrease. BITOG people might not count much. How many people google an oil filter brand/model they see at the store to find out? Its also true that Purolator is still upset by Walmart dropping them.. Ouch!

Originally Posted By: GreenFocus

As long as it took Jack in the Box to recover from the ecoli incident.

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
Hmmm - is this the first non metal crimped seam to show a tear?

I don't check every p1 tear thread, but I had thought there was some consensus around the metal crimp and wide pleats...

I think one other non-metal crimped seam model was recently reported ... that being the 20195, which surprised me. Yes, it's mainly been a handful of filter models with the metal crimped seam, but also a few with the glued seam have also shown up.

We are the 0.00001%

Oil change shops & regular people ARE NOT cutting Oil Filters open to do close inspections!

If we see 5% with tears, given a large enough sample size, then ~5% of them are torn.

Just think how many Purolator tears go unnoticed!!

Yeah, but the 0.00001% tell other folks and Google tells more if anyone searches for Purolator and these threads pop up.

Basically, Purolator has a limited window before "word of mouth" can snowball on them and the "head in sand" response tells me they might not address the issue before that happens. Oh well...

I took a PL10111 off my daughters Lumina a week or two ago but have not cut it yet. I didn't think they were one of the "problem" sizes.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I took a PL10111 off my daughters Lumina a week or two ago but have not cut it yet. I didn't think they were one of the "problem" sizes.
frown.gif

I was disappointed because I have a few I was going to use on the Firebird. I'll probably keep it to 3k or less now that I opened this one up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back