Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I was looking for a suggestion in what to run in A 2013 BRZ

Forced Induction Type: vortech Supercharger

Compression: over 20:1
stock compression 12:1
max boost 11psi
redline: 7500rpm
factory horsepower : 200
current wheel horse power: 300 (mustang dyno)
Wheel torque: 245
Factory Weight: 0W20
Odometer: 17,000? (I have to look)

I'm looking for suggestions on what oil you would put in this car and what weight. I have mostly used mobil 1 extended performance 0w-20 and 5w-30 in my car. This car is a daily driver that occasionally sees a track day and is driven fairy aggressive daily.

I think the bearing clearance is a bit tight to even consider a 40 weight. I mean I run a 40 weight in my 350 chevy.

There are some good uoa's on Red Line 0W-20 over on ft86club.com from a supercharged, tracked 86. I'd go with RL xW-20, Motul 300V 0W-20, Amsoil HDD 5W-30, Amsoil Dominator 5W-20, or a Euro xW-30 like Euro Castrol or Motul X-lite.

Pretty much any oil with an HTHS of 3.5 or higher OR a race oil. I presume you have an oil pressure gauge. You can also experiment with mixing to fine tune your choice if you feel like playing backyard oil blender.

-Dennis

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cjsporl
I think the bearing clearance is a bit tight to even consider a 40 weight. I mean I run a 40 weight in my 350 chevy.

Not sure that is relevant, I ran Mobil 1 0w40 in the wife's Clio on many occasions and it is just a 1.5dci

I would tend to go thick if used hard.

I think the Subaru community in the UK runs 5w50 in mildly tuned WRXs.

I personally think a supercharged engine is under less streets than a turbo so I think Mobil 1 0w40 is a good fit.

Originally Posted By: bigjl

Not sure that is relevant, I ran Mobil 1 0w40 in the wife's Clio on many occasions and it is just a 1.5dci

I personally think a supercharged engine is under less streets than a turbo so I think Mobil 1 0w40 is a good fit.

Why do you think a turbo'd engine is under more stress than supercharged?

Originally Posted By: bigjl

I've used Mobil 1 0W-40 in my Acura as well, with the 1.8. UOA came back great.

OP, what does the supercharger manufacturer recommend? I would start there.

Personally I think any name-brand 5w30 synthetic would do just fine.

Look at countries that have run heavily saturated supercharged/turbo engines like Australia and Europe for decades and 'heavily weight' that demographic. Oil being the life blood of this engine would be something I would 'not take lightly'. North America is only now starting to catch the forced induction wave compared to other regions in comparison.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: john_pifer

The OIL gets beat up "more" in most turbo applications, thru heat and shear in the turbo bearing itself. A supercharger has its own oil supply, separate from the motor oil.

As for the engine itself, both are under boost, so stress levels should be very similar with both, if boost levels are the same.

I think the bearing clearance is a bit tight to even consider a 40 weight.

That's interesting...what's the viscosity that's needed to get the oil into these clearances, and how hot would (say) a 0W20 have to be to get into the bearings ?

What keeps the bearings lubricated while the 20 is warming up enough to get in there ?

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
There are some good uoa's on Red Line 0W-20 over on ft86club.com from a supercharged, tracked 86. I'd go with RL xW-20, Motul 300V 0W-20, Amsoil HDD 5W-30, Amsoil Dominator 5W-20, or a Euro xW-30 like Euro Castrol or Motul X-lite.

Pretty much any oil with an HTHS of 3.5 or higher OR a race oil. I presume you have an oil pressure gauge. You can also experiment with mixing to fine tune your choice if you feel like playing backyard oil blender.

-Dennis

Not recommending M1 5w30 ESP anymore....?

Originally Posted By: geeman789
Originally Posted By: john_pifer

The OIL gets beat up "more" in most turbo applications, thru heat and shear in the turbo bearing itself. A supercharger has its own oil supply, separate from the motor oil.

As for the engine itself, both are under boost, so stress levels should be very similar with both, if boost levels are the same.

True, the oil has to work harder in a turbocharged engine than in a supercharged one.

Have to keep in mind the internals. A subie that comes with a turbo from the factory is not a High compression engine. A car that starts out as NA DI engine with a high compression rating that gets a bolt on SC kit is something entirely different.

The OP stated "20:1 compression" not sure what he means by that.

Your engine is actually outputting more HP@the crank than the dyno suggests, used to drive the blower. Something to consider when contemplating a 20 grade or any Resource Conserving oil.....

With 20:1 compression ratio
crazy.gif
I would be much more concerned about what fuel to run to prevent detonation.

If it were me running an aftermarket forced induction system, for dependability I would have spent the bucks lowering the static compression ratio with dished pistons and/or bigger cc combustion chambers. I would want to know what my oil pressure and temperature looked like on a data recorder, would want a tuneable ecu to control a higher flowing fuel pump and injectors, and would think about a Gr. IV or V oil that had a rep for both low oxidation at high temps and low or no- shearing.

That said, why not get a UOA on what you have in the sump already to get a baseline for future adjustment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back