The Wild Arizona Dust Storms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Here in Phoenix you don't have to worry about crazy thunderstorms, tornados, earthquakes, not really any floods, hurricanes, blizzards, sink holes, fog, or snow.

The wildest it gets here is dust storms or "haboobs" as they call it. There was one today and it's all the news can talk about. Even a 10% chance of forecasted rain gets the meteorologists all fired up for the week and then at chance of rain was a little white cloud that passes by within a couple hours lol. And we have an average of 330 days of sunshine per year according to Wikipedia.

I stole this picture from a news website

2ep33w6.jpg

"ha-boobs"? Aren't those the laughable ones we see that look like baseballs inside of socks on some gender-specific people?

Well it rained for nearly 11/2 hours here. I am happy the rain storm came here. I went outside to get a better view of the dust storm and could smell the rain. It came down in sheets here for about 20 minutes and completely "flooded" the street in front of my house until the rain let up.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Well it rained for nearly 11/2 hours here. I am happy the rain storm came here. I went outside to get a better view of the dust storm and could smell the rain. It came down in sheets here for about 20 minutes and completely "flooded" the street in front of my house until the rain let up.

No rain here, I'm on the Chandler/ Mesa border, dry as a bone.

Looking at the weather radar you and Scottsdale looks like the storm is going to pass around that area.

It looks like Maricopa and Gila Bend got a heavy cell in the southern part of the storm. Glendale got the good cell in the northern Phoenix area end.

Seen baboons in Phoenix...and Iraq...the word is Arabic. The weather is common in true desert areas...

I lived near Pinnacle Peak Rd and 35th Ave (Phoenix) in the late 80's and the only areas to flood homes were poorly designed neighborhoods without drainage ditches. By the 80's new housing developments had yards higher than the street, and even my street didn't flood while Union Hills and flat neighborhood streets would severely.

Originally Posted By: morepwr
I would think that must make a huge dirty mess of everything when that comes over you.

Oh yeah, the wind knocks down trees, the yards are a mess, the cars are a mess too, and 25,000 were without power this morning.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Seen baboons in Phoenix...and Iraq...the word is Arabic. The weather is common in true desert areas...

Auto correct got me again!

We got another 10 minute shower today. This is nice.

What is up with Maricopa? We didn't get anything here!

That night of the dust storm it was late at night when it came and was just enough to wet the thick coating of dust on the cars and make a mess.

We got another close to 30 minute shower again tonight. I do not know what is happening but this is nice! Some weather stations reported .25 of a inch. Which is quite a bit around here.

Maricopa is actually under a flood adversary until 11:00PM local time.

See? I am not the only one bit by auto correct...

cool.gif

We do not have any. I was out of town near Happy Jack earlier this week and we missed the wild northern Arizona storms by a hour. The skies looking promising. I can hope.

I'm on the Chandler Mesa border and we just had some crazy downpour, headed west now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back