do you equip your car with a fire extinguisher?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have put out car fires along the road from the Long Island Expressway to highway 99 north of Bakersfield, California and several places in between. As a trucker I'm required to carry an extinguisher and I've gone through about a dozen of them on car fires (under the hood).

At 2:30 AM this morning I passed a car on U.S. 30 in Ames, Iowa with flames underneath it. It had gotten smoky inside and they were just pulling over as I came upon them. It appeared to be an oil leak on the exhaust but I didn't have time to diagnose it...just put out the fire and had to get down the road.

I don't have an extinguisher in my own car but that's going to change when I get home again. I was curious if anyone here carries one in your vehicle.

Headed out again tonight...safe travelling to everyone!

Very good thing to bring up. I think its a great idea to have. I dont but im going to. I too have witnessed cars being on fire and wish I could of helped out. Not only that..you never know..where there is oil, fuel and spark..fires may and do occur.

Originally Posted By: Charlie1935
In all my vehicles. Also a set of triangle reflectors in each.

Great idea with the triangles, too!

I considered it before, but was always leery about how hot it would get in the trunk. Is that not a problem?

Originally Posted By: lukejo
I considered it before, but was always leery about how hot it would get in the trunk. Is that not a problem?

Probably not a problem, school buses keep fire extinguishers locked up in them.

Originally Posted By: whip
No extinguisher, just insurance.
+1 lol... my cousin just had a 2001 Impala catch fire 2 weeks ago... Insurance gave him a 5k check... car was NOT worth that much. OTOH I do feel that his car should be an eye opener for me to start carrying one.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: lukejo

Probably not a problem, school buses keep fire extinguishers locked up in them.

Commercial vehicles have extinguishers in them at all times...regardless of temps. I have left my truck sitting in phoenix for days at a time during the summer and never had a problem.

Originally Posted By: whip
No extinguisher, just insurance.

I had one guy shake my hand and thank me for my consideration but then said he almost wished I hadn't stopped!
grin.gif

OTOH, think about the ability to put out a fire in an accident where someone is trapped in a burning vehicle. You may save a life someday!

My dad taught me, and life experience has reinforced, that a fire extinguisher in the car was as basic common sense as looking both ways before crossing a street. I am shocked that not everyone does this. The absolute very first thing I do with any car I purchase-- literally as I am getting into it to leave the dealer's lot when the ink on the sales sheet is still wet-- is to place an extinguisher in it.

Originally Posted By: methusaleh
My dad taught me, and life experience has reinforced, that a fire extinguisher in the car was as basic common sense as looking both ways before crossing a street. I am shocked that not everyone does this. The absolute very first thing I do with any car I purchase-- literally as I am getting into it to leave the dealer's lot when the ink on the sales sheet is still wet-- is to place an extinguisher in it.

X2

I bought one a few years back TO put in the car...it's still sitting right here beside me.
never thought of a good place to mount it in the car..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back