front bumper cover paint not matching

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to pick up my car today from the dealer that repainted front bumper under warranty, problem because of delaminating clear coat. 1. the color doesn't match, 2. bumper edges were scratched 3. all the bolts were not securely attached and 5. the chrome grille was scratched from sanding. keep in mind this is a 2011 Sonata and the dealer sent the job out because they did not have a bodyshop. when I saw it immediately told them I would not accept car and that it needed to be repaired correctly. they agreed to take it back to where it was painted, but the body shop is not wanting to replace the damaged grill which cost a little over 600.00. i told the dealer that it wasn't my problem and i would pick the car up when it was finished, and they are the ones who chose to send it to that body shop, and the dealer or body shop is responsible for the bumper cover and the replacement grill. I was wanting input to find out if I approached this wrong or if i overreacted. they are acting like oh its a 2011 some scratches on the grille is not their problem.

No you are not overreacting. I expect them to fix problem at hand and not cause additional damage.
You did the right thing by not accepting the car.
Did the dealer give you a loaner in the mean time?
I hope that you get this issue resolved.
GreenFocus

I agree. My wife accepted her car after the first bumper damage and it is not the right color, so when the front was damaged I went to pick it up. I refused it, and after a discussion the shop owner was called. He took a look at the car and told me he was sorry his people even tried to give me the car.

they were going to but I told them not to bother I had another car at home. when I went to pick it up they didn't have any trouble with agreeing that the paint didn't quite match, my guess is they are being reimbursed for that. The grille they are going to have to pay for so they want to try and weasel around that issue. also the fact that the bumper bolts were not tightened completely down makes me question integrity of the repair.

Sounds like this dealer is lowballing repairs thru a hacker.Last time I would use them.I would stay away from that dealer too.Who knows what else they are saving money on...? That deal sure makes it look like Hyundai/KIA is still the cheapo go-to for repairs and new car purchases...just as they were in the late 80s and 1990s.

You did the right thing, let them fix it as many times as they want, it's their choice whether to fix it right or not.

No way is send it to a dealer to farm it out, IMO.

Unfortunately, how can you prove that they scratched the grille? Unfortunately it's your vs their word unless you can hire a subject matter expert, whose cost would be greater than the value of the replacement.

Hate to rain on that part of the parade, it's just how I see that side of it going.

The mismatched color is unacceptable. Problem is that leaving it there means YOUR asset is in their hands in a way that doesn't help you at all.

that is a great response about if the grille was already damaged, just so happens when the regional service manager was giving the ok to repair the delaminating clear coat, pictures were taken the day before I dropped it off to them. they tried that route until I gave them the pictures of the bumper from that day showing no damage. you could tell he wished they hadn't have taken pictures.

I personally think that they will have no choice but to do the repairs to the bumper and the grille. Like I told the service manager I don't care who pays for the grille and repainting the bumper, that is between him and the bodyshop that did the repairs. I also told him that I needed the repair order and warranty information from the body shop showing the work they did. Like most bodyshops they offer lifetime warranty on their repair work. just wanted to make sure all bases were covered, I have seen to many bumper covers repainted to only peel off a couple years later.

I can honestly say that I`ve never seen good work done by a body shop. It always look alike [censored].

don't get me wrong, I do understand some colors are indeed hard to match, especially red metallic with a lot of pearl in them , this color is Venecian red. color can be a shade darker by using a primer sealer that is real dark. but don't try to pass off something not right, and take responsibility for damages that happened while you had the vehicle. I really don't care if they have to strip and repaint the bumper 50 times, im not going to accept it unless it is spot on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crgstvrs
don't get me wrong...
...but don't try to pass off something not right, and take responsibility for damages that happened while you had the vehicle. I really don't care if they have to strip and repaint the bumper 50 times, im not going to accept it unless it is spot on.

Good for you...really!

Over the years I've found you can never have too many pictures of an accident or event.
When the flash flood took my 4Runner downstream, the insurance paid for the transport, engine repair and repaint of everything except the fuel door and roof (which was scratched). When I showed them the pictures of the branches on the roof, they had it painted. Still refused to repaint the fuel door.

My next 4Runner got hit head-on. The Toyota dealer did an apparently beautiful job on the exterior. But when I got under it to change the oil I found that they had not welded or straightened the cracked and bent frame. They said it had been 60 days so they were not responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back