Mercon V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 93k on my Explorer and doubt that any trans fluid has been replaced or the filter changed. I will be doing a pan drop and filter replacement over the weekend and am curious what brand those of you use in this application. I have used MaxLife in my old cars and loved it, but now having to use Mercon V, I can't use that any longer.

I went to WallyWorld today and snagged a couple quarts of Supertech's Mercon V for use in my transfer case. I was a little hesistant to pick up more for use in the trans though.

From what I have gathered up so far, I really only have choices of these locally OTC:

Motorcraft Mercon V from the stealership (I think it's either $5.25 or $6.25/qt there)
Supertech Mercon V
Castrol Transmax Mercon V
Valvoline Mercon V
Coastal Mervon V
Oreilly's & Advance's Mercon V

Throw out your opinions or experiences!

I use Castrol in my P71. It replaced factory fill at ~107k. Shifts great, seems to be a good fluid.

If you can get Motorcraft for $5/qt, that might not be a bad choice to just stick with OEM. Roughly the same cost (maybe a little more) as Castrol off of Amazon.

I was leaning more towards the Castrol until I found out the price of the Motorcraft from the dealer. I would have ordered off Amazon, but it had to be from somewhere local since I couldn't get a guaranteed shipping by Saturday when I looked yesterday.

I would use the SuperTech and do a few Drain & Refills until the fluid looks decent.

Then, if you want to use something more expensive, do a Drain & Refill with a more expensive fluid.

On my vehicle, I do a Drain & Refill yearly using the SuperTech with NO problems.
SuperTech is Mercon v / WalMart $4.19 per quart

I also installed an in-line filter (currently 18,000 miles on it / waiting for 30,000 to replace)
Also, I have a 'magnetic' Drain Plug.

Last edited:
Castrol or Motorcraft depending on which is cheaper. Many have had good success with about 50% Mobil 1 ATF also but I don't think you want to do a whole fill with Mobil 1 due to it not having the exact friction properties you want.

I did half my Taurus fill with Mobil 1 and it shifts great, 145k on these problematic AX4Ns with no issues in mine. I still have the original filter in my Taurus. The rest of what's in there is Castrol Mercon V because it's on the approved list lubricant list and was on sale at AAP.

If you order enough online maybe you can use the discount codes and save a bundle?

Since MERCON-V is still a licensed standard I'd feel pretty comfortable with any brand name. I don't know about Oreillys house brand but I'd be VERY comfortable with Napa.

O'Reilly's can get Motorcraft Mercon V. I called them and they had it the next day. From what I remember, it was about $5 a quart.

Check your manual to see how many quarts of ATF your transmission takes (my Focus takes 7 quarts).

In addition to your ATF, add 1 oz. of Lubegard Red for each quart your transmission holds. LR is recommended by many BITOG'ers as well as transmission re-builders. Then, when you drain again, add 1 oz. for each quart you replace.

I'm sure O'Reilly's has Lubegard Red, but I have gotten a better price from Amazon.

You could also try this and save money if you can get Dexron for cheap enough. The nice thing is it has the additives in Lubegard Red so you don't need to buy a bottle.

http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-248/LUBEGARD+M-V+ATF+Supplement

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
O'Reilly's can get Motorcraft Mercon V. I called them and they had it the next day. From what I remember, it was about $5 a quart.

Tried this, they said they would upcharge the [censored] outta me lol.

Quote:
In addition to your ATF, add 1 oz. of Lubegard Red for each quart your transmission holds. LR is recommended by many BITOG'ers as well as transmission re-builders. Then, when you drain again, add 1 oz. for each quart you replace.

Isnt this the stuff you can add to your diff as a friction modifier? I've never used or paid much attention to it...

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
You could also try this and save money if you can get Dexron for cheap enough. The nice thing is it has the additives in Lubegard Red so you don't need to buy a bottle.

http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-248/LUBEGARD+M-V+ATF+Supplement

This is bad advice Imho. There's no replacement for a fully formulated correct atf. Also that product is intended for shops who don't want to buy bulk Mercon V, the OP can get licensed Mercon V for probably the same price as a mineral dex merc.

I will plus 1 to the Lubegard red though which has LXE esters.

Originally Posted By: lugNutz

Quote:

Isnt this the stuff you can add to your diff as a friction modifier? I've never used or paid much attention to it...

No lubegard red isn't limited slip additive. It contains LXE esters, antioxidants, and some phos anti-wear. The product also contains some friction modifier.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: lugNutz

Quote:

No lubegard red isn't limited slip additive. It contains LXE esters, antioxidants, and some phos anti-wear. The product also contains some friction modifier.
Oh, I must be just confusing the product you are referring to with this one...
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail...rd=limited+slip

Originally Posted By: sonofbumperbolt
I run ST Dexron-III / Mercon in my 1993 Explorer with great results.

Your A4LD is a little more forgiving to the dex/merc than the 5R55S

Been using the WM Supertech Mercon V in my wife's 2008 Ford Edge and also my 97 Expedition. Drain and fill both at 30K intervals and have had good results. Both trans have had regular changes, Edge is at 110K and Expedition is at 165K. I will say neither is used for any towing or extreme duty, just normal driving.

Absutely true.

Originally Posted By: 38Chevy454
Been using the WM Supertech Mercon V in my wife's 2008 Ford Edge and also my 97 Expedition. Drain and fill both at 30K intervals and have had good results. Both trans have had regular changes, Edge is at 110K and Expedition is at 165K. I will say neither is used for any towing or extreme duty, just normal driving.

Good to hear something positive... I think I will just save some dough and go with ST. Thanks for your input!

Great catch! I totally missed the '05 part. I run ST Mercon V in my '07 F-150 Screw (156,000mi), '03 Focus (145,000mi), and other Mercon V speced transmissions in the past with good results.

Last edited:
Thanks guys...The trans hasn't been touched yet so I wanna be easy on it. I did the TC this weekend, fluid was a little dark, no burnt smell -- overall didn't look too bad. Hoping the trans will be the same when I get around to dropping the pan and changing the fluid and filter this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back