should i be concerned with this oil report?

Status
Not open for further replies.
almost 3k on this oil, probably 1200 or so on e85. car was on the racetrack for over 100 miles back in may. the blackstone comment..take them with a grain of salt?

edit..most of my driving is about 2 miles to and from work, lots of stop and go

car is protuned, make 360/387 on the dyno

What Blackstone said: watch it carefully.

Considering that it is "protuned" I would also say that all bets are off. Pushing that much power and doing some track time changes the game completely. So, yeah, you should watch it carefully... or get a beater for those 2 mile commutes.

The flag comes from the increasing number over the last couple of changes. Since it's been steadily increasing - both in Sodium and Silver, I'd watch it.

maybe consider taking a sample halfway through the OCI if possible.
is there any way your sample could be getting contaminated? I had that happen once and it caused a bunch of worrisome comments and it just turned out i wasn't taking the sample right.

i dont think im taking the sample wrong, i have a fumoto valve and about halfway thru the oil change i take my sample. i might take a sample at 1000 miles and see what happens

yeah it's pretty hard to mess up when you have a fumoto valve. Since it's easy to take the samples, it will be probably a good idea to do your 1000 mile one and see.

this is what oil analysis is good for, you have a trend, you noticed an anomaly, and you watch your engine accordingly. I wish everyone could grasp that point and stop using UOA's to compare oils on every change - with no trends, the data is basically useless.

Originally Posted By: subaruguy12
any recommendation on oil. the subaru guys been swearing on t6 forever

I would go Motul 300 route or Redline.

You did see a spike in silver, but that may be merely episodic and may fade.
Do you have a potassium free coolant installed?
If you do, you may be seeing the start of a head gasket failure in this hard used engine.
If you don't, then unless you see potassium, you don't have coolant getting into the oil.
Dare to be different and try M1 0W-40.
It might reduce some of the wear metals that you're seeing.
I know that the turbo Subie crowd loves T6 and that the Subie cult in general disdains any flavor of M1, but the Euro formula is an exceptionally good oil at about the same cost per quart as the Rotella.
T6 claims none of the certs for highly tuned gas and gas turbo applications that M1 0W-40 does and the Germans who developed most of these standards weren't stupid, they just wanted a set of standards that would enable their stronger engines to live under hard use.

i heard lots of good things about the m1 0w40. car has factory coolant. friend runs the motul and likes it, he has a sti the same year and same mods.

thoughts on the increased sodium, blackstone claiming thats a sign for coolant

Friend of mine tried in his 5 pot focus with 350 whp a number of oils.Castrol Edge ,M1,Helix Ultra and finally Motul.Never looked back.This is all without UOA,only by hot oil pressure after track.With Shell he got worst OP.

Clevy said:
M1 0w-40 is tough to beat,or any euro spec oil to be honest. [/quot

This is true.M1 is first class oil for any unmodified car.But this is highly stressed engine in severe use.I think Motul is better for this application.For a standard Subaru and normal use i would say go with Mobil1.

The fact that ANY silver shows up is a concern, unless you can find an alternate source. Copper can come from all sorts of non-wear locations due to leaching, but the OTHER bearing metals like silver, tin, and lead... always a warning sign.

Look for a virgin oil analysis of your oil brand and grade for comparison and see if your sample is significantly higher. Sodium is often used as part of the additive package, so its not always a sign of coolant contamination. Depends on what oil you started with.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Look for a virgin oil analysis of your oil brand and grade for comparison and see if your sample is significantly higher. Sodium is often used as part of the additive package, so its not always a sign of coolant contamination. Depends on what oil you started with.

i found one and it was at 4

This looks familiar.
smile.gif

Is this a built engine? I'm nearly thinking 15W-50 might work well, depending on your mods. Or maybe get Terry Dyson's opinion. Is it 360 whp (i.e. +100 hp over stock?)?

-Dennis

you should be using a oil saying:
sn
energy conserving

if I aint mistaken mobil delvac1 le5w30 meet this !
40 is too thick!energy conserving is the important thing here
but if I recall delvac1 le5w30 meet sn and energy conserving
EJ255 has sodium filled valve so sodium could mean a valve !

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
This looks familiar.
smile.gif

Is this a built engine? I'm nearly thinking 15W-50 might work well, depending on your mods. Or maybe get Terry Dyson's opinion. Is it 360 whp (i.e. +100 hp over stock?)?

-Dennis

yes dennis, you told me to post here so i did..lol engine is stock, with 19k on it. you dont think a 15-50 is too much for the oil pump? as for mods its pretty much every bolt on and tuned on e85. this car stock dynoed about 220, its its a little more than 100 over stock. i have no issues putting in a built motor i was planning on it eventually at these power levels.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
This looks familiar.
smile.gif

-Dennis

yes dennis, you told me to post here so i did..lol engine is stock, with 19k on it. you dont think a 15-50 is too much for the oil pump? as for mods its pretty much every bolt on and tuned on e85. this car stock dynoed about 220, its its a little more than 100 over stock. i have no issues putting in a built motor i was planning on it eventually at these power levels.

This is probably your problem, i.e. all sorts of bolt ons on stock internals. I don't see any oil helping this situation.
You either pony up the cash up front and do it right, or pony up the cash later when the block has an extra cooling hole on its side. Oil choice will only affect when, not if.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back