Any additives that offer "the full package"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of interest, are there any addtives OTC that offer a full package of wear protection and detergent type addtives ?

i.e. would bring an hydraulic oil up to basic automotive (yard equipment) specs ?

Not too fussed on VIIs or whatever, but a simple AW/detergency package.

There was something years ago that claimed to be just that. Not a mechanic in a can but a replacement add pack for engine oil.
They advertised don't change the oil replenish the parts of the oil that wear out.
I haven't seen it in 35 years. So its of no help whatsoever but thanks for sending me down memory lane.

You might be thinking of STP 6000-mile 'oil extender'...stopped selling it years ago. TallPaul was a huge fan of the stuff.

Here is one that claims to have a combination of additive components like you are looking for:

Quote:
Additive Package Overview
Viscosity Index Improvers: Enhanced VII maintain lubricant flow and improve shear stability of the oil, especially at extreme temperatures.

Detergents and Dispersants: Maintains cleanliness and keeps contaminants in suspension. May remove varnish buildup in older engines.

Extreme Pressure/Anti-Wear additives: Polarized AW, Friction Modifier and EP components provide unequaled protection in high load, high friction conditions. Fluid strength in increased allowing for significant friction reduction and protection of vital engine components. Polarized film protects during start up conditions.

Oxidation Inhibitors and Acid Neutralizers: Enhanced alkaline reserve prevent oil breakdown during service life. Reduces oil acidity caused by blow-by gases

Rust and Corrosion Inhibitors: protect against adverse effects of moisture and oil oxidation caused by free wear metals present in oil.

Carefully balanced formula is designed to complement and enhance the existing API oil formulations.

On the website they recommend it be used with API approved oils for extended drain intervals when mixing with an engine oil. They also have one designed for Hydraulic oils and gear oils, but I'm sure they aren't designed for turning an AW46 hydraulic oil into a functioning engine oil. For that just buy engine oil.

Yeah, I know...

Was just asking if there was same...enquiring minds etc.

Have used Delo Gold Ultra (pretty high add levels), and Canola/ATF in the past in games bringing it down to "regular" levels and slightly thinner.

Just wanted another toy for the shelf.

Not long ago I mentioned someone I know who is doing an engine flush with a mix of diesel fuel, engine oil and that additive. His land cruiser is still running the flush (has been for about 4 months) as far as I know it is still running fine, and he's planning on getting me before and after pics so I can post them. (He had such bad sludging the oil pickup screen was almost completely blocked - not to mention the rest of the engine)

Point being even though it may not be exactly what you are looking for, it might be as you call it a toy to play with...

I still wish that someone would make a real, high quality 'TBN booster' type additive as well with; calcium, magnesium, and maybe a good dose of boron, but NO other AW/AF additives, especially not ZDDP.

This could be useful to extend OCIs out until it is possible to do the change, for the very busy folk.
wink.gif

I agree that would be nice, but most calcium and magnesium compounds are multifunctional and double as detergents so I would be concerned that there would be too much surface competition if it didn't have the extra aw stuff to help balance it out.

That said I could see use for a TBN and detergency boost for those who want to do a cleaning cycle for an oil change. I wonder how easy it would be to put somethIng together that wouldn't throw your oil out of spec.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Out of interest, are there any addtives OTC that offer a full package of wear protection and detergent type addtives ?

i.e. would bring an hydraulic oil up to basic automotive (yard equipment) specs ?

Not too fussed on VIIs or whatever, but a simple AW/detergency package.

The only additive I can think of that I have used in new engines approved by GM is
their EOS additive. My brother had it analysed at his work and it had zinc, calcium
and moly. The zinc didn't seem like much but the moly count was high.

Will have to see if that's still available in Oz...and find a VOA of it...from recollection when I was messing with the stuff 20 years ago, it had a sort of opalescent sheen to it.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: 2KBMW
The only additive I can think of that I have used in new engines approved by GM is
their EOS additive. My brother had it analysed at his work and it had zinc, calcium

^^^I always heard/thought that this additive had sky high levels of ZDDP in it, and not much else, let alone much soluble moly??
21.gif

Do you have that VOA on it posted anywhere?

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

^^^I always heard/thought that this additive had sky high levels of ZDDP in it, and not much else, let alone much soluble moly??
21.gif

Do you have that VOA on it posted anywhere?

No. I never did post it and I don't have it any more. I had heard that the formula changed
over the years. I remember it being a very dark liquid. Now it looks like regular motor oil.
In the past it probably had more zinc but reduced it now and added moly in it's place. I think it's the best additive out there. It doesn't thicken the oil but adds zinc, calcium and moly to your oil.

I finally found that VOA of the GM EOS. I just have the most important elements listed.

Boron: 201 ppm
Calcium: 3969 ppm
Magnesium: 9 ppm
Molybdenum: >200 ppm(detection limit)
Phosphorus: 1447 ppm
Zinc: 1618 ppm

Thanks for that...looks like eos would need to make up over 50% of such a brew as bing considered.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Thanks for that...looks like eos would need to make up over 50% of such a brew as bing considered.

I know this is designed for regular motor oil for break-in in new or rebuilt engines and to clean valve lifters in older engines.

I finally found that VOA of the GM EOS. I just have the most important elements listed.

Boron: 201 ppm
Calcium: 3969 ppm
Magnesium: 9 ppm
Molybdenum: >200 ppm(detection limit)
Phosphorus: 1447 ppm
Zinc: 1618 ppm

Yes, THANKS for that.
thumbsup2.gif

IF it would just have about half of that ZDDP in it, it would be an EXCELLENT TBN/detergent pack booster for the middle to end of a long OCI.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back