top tier vs not top tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use shell 87 octane 90 percent of the time in my di Hyundai. The car calls for 87 so that's what I use. But I also have used mobil and exxon and citco and Sunoco. Now I know mobil and exxon are top tier besides shell but every now and then I use Sunoco because its closer. I think someone hear posted a while back that exxon actually has more detergents in the 87 octane then any other gas. Not sure if that's true. All I know is that all the gas stations around hear get there gas at the same terminal across the river from me. Is there that much of a difference in gas nowadays. Doesn't all gas have to meet certain standards. Can the owners of these stations be cheating on the amount of detergents they use or is it all part of the terminals computer system when they pump to fill the trailers. Ill have to ask my brother when I see him. He used to haul fuel a lot. He once said that gas was gas. But that was a few years back.

The difference is in the additive packages, and that varies from brand to brand. And yes, gas has to meet certain standards, but oil companies are free to surpass those standards.

Top tier rating is not policed, so its worthless IMO. The ONLY station near me pumping acceptable gas this week (out of 5 stations I normally use) is a Sunoco FAR away from my work commute in Epping NH - the other stuff is so abysmal, I was planning to have the Honda dealer drain my tank - but two 1/2 tanks of the Sunoco have it running acceptable again. The Sunoco on my work commute was being filled by a non-sunoco delivery out of MA. They have been pumping junk all month. I need gas today and I don't know Where to buy today. Maybe Mobil in Kingston - they can be iffy too.
We are not seeing 15% Ethanol are we?

IIRC, Top Tier fuel has about "five times" the EPA minimum requirements for "detergent," whatever those solvents may be. Fives times a tiny fraction is still a tiny fraction and it is my understanding that "Top Tier" fuel costs the manufacturer/retailer less than a penny extra per gallon to produce.

But, it you check out the Top Tier web site you can see which auto manufacturers are on board with the program. This is the modern iteration of the 80's "BMW Unlimited Mileage" test for valve and injector deposits. I guess that was because it was the mid/late 80's when fuel injection started showing up on mainstream vehicles.

I do try to stick with TT gas. I usually go to a QT station near my house. Aside from being TT, the gas is always competitively priced.

Ods are ny state call for 10% minimum ethanol .not sure tho.indian reserve probably have 0% ethanol (awsome)in quebec canada shell have 0% ethanol their top of the line gas (power-v )might be the same in usa.if it is i suggest using 0% ethanol gas .it will save a lot in other problem .if you had diesel i would say to add ..5% of lubricity stuff.i dont know if gas in usa have to have same sulfur content as diesel 15 part per million

Gas definitely isn't gas. Racetrac sells some pretty bad stuff that actually caused the fuel sender in my Sport Trac to send bad data to my guage on two different occasions. SInce I've been filling it exclusively at QuickTrip, it hasn't done it again (after I gave it a strong dose of Techron). From what I've read on the subject, high-sulfur gas contaminates silver contacts on sending units, causing gauges to give strange readings. Thankfully, Techron was able to clean it up so the tank didn't have to be dropped.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
IIRC, Top Tier fuel has about "five times" the EPA minimum requirements for "detergent," whatever those solvents may be. Fives times a tiny fraction is still a tiny fraction and it is my understanding that "Top Tier" fuel costs the manufacturer/retailer less than a penny extra per gallon to produce.

But, it you check out the Top Tier web site you can see which auto manufacturers are on board with the program. This is the modern iteration of the 80's "BMW Unlimited Mileage" test for valve and injector deposits. I guess that was because it was the mid/late 80's when fuel injection started showing up on mainstream vehicles.

I do try to stick with TT gas. I usually go to a QT station near my house. Aside from being TT, the gas is always competitively priced.

That is incorrect. I think TT requires about 2.5x more than federal minimum requirements. There are some select brands that go to 5x EPA such as BP, Shell and Costco. Conoco/Phillips66 is at 3x federal minimum.

I would go with Top Tier for a DI car, at least Toyota strongly recommend it in the owner manual for a reason, and go to a good brand that has good detergent (Chevron/Texaco or Shell with PEA).

For port injected old cars that drives a lot of long distance, I'd just use whatever cheapest high volume station (to reduce chances of water in tank).

Originally Posted By: Garak
The difference is in the additive packages, and that varies from brand to brand. And yes, gas has to meet certain standards, but oil companies are free to surpass those standards.

Depends on the location. I've read that there can be variances in energy content of the fuel - even from the same refinery. This is supposed to be dependent on the crude oil source.

I've heard that California RFG is more tightly controlled and less likely to vary between refineries during the same time period.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Depends on the location. I've read that there can be variances in energy content of the fuel - even from the same refinery. This is supposed to be dependent on the crude oil source.

Well, yes, there certainly are what we'd call batch variations. Much of what is used in this city comes from one refinery, but the additive packages vary, as does ethanol content. Naturally, ethanol content slightly alters energy content of the fuel as well.

Originally Posted By: FocusTi
Gas definitely isn't gas. Racetrac sells some pretty bad stuff that actually caused the fuel sender in my Sport Trac to send bad data to my guage on two different occasions. SInce I've been filling it exclusively at QuickTrip, it hasn't done it again (after I gave it a strong dose of Techron). From what I've read on the subject, high-sulfur gas contaminates silver contacts on sending units, causing gauges to give strange readings. Thankfully, Techron was able to clean it up so the tank didn't have to be dropped.

Interesting. Especially since Racetrac is our number one choice in fuel as it is very busy AND very cheap in our area.

We buy well over 3 grand a month in fuel, always at the cheapest/busiest stations, and I simply cannot remember the last time we had any fuel related problems at all...

Stick with TT and you cant go wrong. Anybody can cheat but why assume that they do? The worst that can happen is that you will wind up with non TT fuel but IMO that is extremely unlikely.

Originally Posted By: Bamaro
Stick with TT and you cant go wrong. Anybody can cheat but why assume that they do? The worst that can happen is that you will wind up with non TT fuel but IMO that is extremely unlikely.

In California CARB has a mobile lab that randomly tests fuel at refineries, terminals, and gas stations. Any kind of deviation of octane rating, fuel composition (tightly controlled by regulations), or contamination could get a station in trouble.

I don't know how feasible it would be to check for detergent content, but I suspect that the fuel depots would prevent that. That might save a penny a gallon, and not worth possible fraud charges.

A bunch of Detergent into a bad batch of fuel doesn't make for good fuel. Id like to know what's going on up around me - fuel is bad most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back