Ram EcoDiesel, Pennzoil Ultra EuroL or Mobil 1 ESP

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I picked up a new Ram 1500 EcoDiesel, and it has oil requirements that are "new to me" - calling for the low ash Euro oils, thus my post to this section.

The requirement is: "The manufacturer recommends engine oils that meet the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-11106, and that are approved to Fiat 9.55535-S1 or Fiat 9.55535-S3 and ACEA C3."

It seems as if my best options are Pennzoil Ultra Euro L full synthetic 5W-30 and the Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP Formula.

What do you thing of these oils? Are there other options that meet this spec that I should consider? I do want to stay within the spec (aka, no oils that technically "meet" it, but don't have the spec on the label) for warranty concerns at least in the short term.

I know most of the folks on the Ram forums I read are either using, or planning to use the Pennzoil, but I've personally always used Mobil 1 in the past.

Here's a "video tour" of the truck if you're curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yz6h4NSrQM

Isn't the Euro L hard to find off-the-shelf?

What are your driving habits, and what is the warranty requirement for oil changes? (is there an oil life meter?)

Originally Posted By: dparm
Isn't the Euro L hard to find off-the-shelf?

What are your driving habits, and what is the warranty requirement for oil changes? (is there an oil life meter?)

Not sure, haven't tried yet. There are a couple shops locally that specialize in Euro-cars, so I figured I'd have them or my Amazon Prime membership as backup plans. I know for sure I've seen the Mobil 1 ESP before. I've only had the truck for 2,000 miles - I'm just trying to think ahead here.
smile.gif

My driving habits are a daily "country road" drive for 30min each way to and from work. I do A LOT of highway driving, and do tend to have a lead foot...

OCI is 10,000 miles. I will likely do the first change a little early, as I will likely only have 5,000-6,000 on my truck about the time I need to make a 20-hr road trip.

Do you tow anything or do off-roading? Those would qualify as severe service (for most manufacturers).

Do you tow anything or do off-roading? Those would qualify as severe service (for most manufacturers).

I don't tow often.

I don't go offroading but a few times a year - and not the "have fun, play in the mud" offroading. I go offroad for work on occasion, and then during hunting season. I wouldn't call what I do offroad severe duty if that means anything.

I see no problem with the M1 ESP. I've never used it (no diesel in the fleet, unfortunately) but the UOAs and VOAs posted here look fantastic to me. I admit I was skeptical about a diesel rated oil specifically tailored to 'protect emissions equipment,' but I'm coming around to the low ash bandwagon I guess.

I have no doubt that the Pennzoil is also a great product, but they do seem to be in the middle of a marketing flummox going from the yellow / Platinum/ Ultra lineup to Yellow/ Platinum / Platinum Ultra Plus, with a profound lack of clarity in how the different names and different grades relate to each other, and where in the heck the 'Euro' grades fall in the spectrum.

Any of the Mobil 1 diesel rated oils are robust products. Even the low ash (low ZDDP) formulations work well in conventional and older engines. If it's good enough for that, it's good!

Just curious, what's the factory fill? I suspect it might be the Pennzoil you mentioned.

It is believed to be Pennzoil, along with the Mopar branded quarts...

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Any of the Mobil 1 diesel rated oils are robust products. Even the low ash (low ZDDP) formulations work well in conventional and older engines. If it's good enough for that, it's good!

I was leaning towards the M1, and just wanted to make sure there wasn't a reason to stay with the Pennzoil and/or if there was a better option for my truck's requirement.

Originally Posted By: rossn2
Here you go:Same engine but in the Jeep

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...-_R#Post3390175

BTW, what are your mpg's looking like???

Yeah, I read that... I just don't want to use an oil that meets the spec on paper, but doesn't have the spec on the bottle - at least in the short term. From my understanding, the Rotella meets the MB spec that is equal to the Chrysler spec - but no longer listed as an acceptable spec in the Chrysler books.

Basically, I'll cross that road a little later down the line...

For MPG's, I'm hitting anywhere between 24-26 average for the to and from work driving (country roads with stop signs and such) - Best I've gotten was a 10hour road trip, all highway, 1 tank of fuel from Wisconsin to just outside of Indianapolis, IN and back - 28.8mpg with the cruise set to either 70 or 75mph for most of the trip.

Last edited:
Either would work. The Pennzoil is available on Amazon for a good price. The Mobil 1 ESP is available at local auto parts stores; I got my last bottles at Pep Boys. Pennzoil has a contract with Chrysler so I suspect that's the factory fill.

As for other options, while the Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 doesn't carry the MS-11106 specification, from my understanding the spec is equivalent to MB 229.51 and this oil carries the other specs. You could give that a shot; it's available at NAPA Auto as well as various websites.

I use Low-SAPS oil in gas engine due to deposits, so here is my take.
I was thinking hard which one to get: M1 ESP, PU L, Pentosin Superpento III (this one is true synthetic), Castrol LL03.
After reading PDS, I choose M1 ESP, and here is why.
All other oils, except Castrol LL03, have pour point -39. M1ESP has pour point -45, which is quite important in Colorado during winter months, especially when you got o ski and it is -20 degrees in high country.
Why not then Castrol? cst is 11.7, while cst of M1ESP is 12.2 which is on par with good ole GC, except that this is Low-SAPS oil. It is almost very light 5W40 oil.
I was researching German web sites (M1ESP is made either in Finland or France) and it is actually combination of GroupIII base oil and Gr IV and V. That explains good pour point, as well as extremely high flash point of 254c. I did not see any oil so far with such high flash point. Also, very important, NOACK is 5.6%, which is lower then Redline. I did UOA at 3.3K, and oil held well regardless of high sulphur content in the U.S. gas. In your application it should perform even better.

Availability?
Yu can get it at Pep Boys for $12 a quart, which is theft.
I got it from Amazon for $96 for 12 quarts!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rhhsiao
Either would work. The Pennzoil is available on Amazon for a good price. The Mobil 1 ESP is available at local auto parts stores; I got my last bottles at Pep Boys. Pennzoil has a contract with Chrysler so I suspect that's the factory fill.

As for other options, while the Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 doesn't carry the MS-11106 specification, from my understanding the spec is equivalent to MB 229.51 and this oil carries the other specs. You could give that a shot; it's available at NAPA Auto as well as various websites.

Yes, I do believe the Pennzoil is the factory fill.

I do realize the MB & MS specs should be equal, I just want to wait a while before I even get comfortable with this truck to venture outside of spec. If it's not in the book, I'm going to shy away from it for the first couple of changes.

smile.gif

Quote:

So, it's 10.5 quarts of oil on the Ecodiesel, plus the $50-$60 oil filter from OEM...
Holy [censored], that's an expensive oil change at DIY pricing..

Last edited:
Quote:

So, it's 10.5 quarts of oil on the Ecodiesel, plus the $50-$60 oil filter from OEM...

Yep, these oils are expensive!
They are also state of the art oils considering requirements, but yes, you will pay a lot (well in the U.S. terms, I am originally from Europe, and there add +30-40%).

How does Amsoil European Car Formula
5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
Low-SAPS, Low-Viscosity European Oil for
European Gasoline and Diesel Engines compare tot meets the these oils? It meets the MB spec but the Chrysler spec isn't mentioned.

Just saw a $49.95 price at my favorite on-line seller for an oil filter for the new RAM Ecodiesel.

The filter is a Mopar #LF68229402.

It's a cartridge style filter but, as noted in other posts, that seems pretty steep.

Originally Posted By: howie12
How does Amsoil European Car Formula
5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
Low-SAPS, Low-Viscosity European Oil for
European Gasoline and Diesel Engines compare tot meets the these oils? It meets the MB spec but the Chrysler spec isn't mentioned.

It does not have all approvals, especially if car is still under warranty.
Also, number are quite average. There are better oils on market.

Quote:

I've found the filter itself available for less - 3-pack for $115 with free shipping. I may just bite the bullet and do this until the aftermarket gets a hold of this one.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Just saw a $49.95 price at my favorite on-line seller for an oil filter for the new RAM Ecodiesel.

The filter is a Mopar #LF68229402.

It's a cartridge style filter but, as noted in other posts, that seems pretty steep.

68229402AA is the PN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back