Found my leak ... this is probably bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I had my mud tires swapped over to my Towncar wheels, one of the tires kept going "flat" every few days.

When inflating this morning, I heard air escaping somewhere. Ran my finger around the bead and found this.

10356275_780837575103_2326935932311610951_n.jpg

This is what I get for not mounting them by hand!

Probably won't know until they break the tire down. They can probably clean it up, lube the bead real good and you'll be good to go.

Originally Posted By: Rand
sliced bead?

Looks like they did get a chunk out of it.

I mounted the spare by hand - same tire and wheel - and I did take a small piece of rubber (much smaller than this) out and it's been fine.

Debeaded the tire and there's nothing missing out of the bead. Not sure.

Pulled it out and reinflared the tire and now have a bead leak elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Debeaded the tire and there's nothing missing out of the bead. Not sure.

Pulled it out and reinflared the tire and now have a bead leak elsewhere.

Get some really good glue or roof caulking and glue up the bead leak

The bead toe may have been sliced. That is sometimes hard to see. Nevertheless, not good. Even at the toe, there is air retaining rubber - and if it gets sliced, it's like it's not there at all.

All I can say is that people don't use enough lube when mounting tires. There is plenty of opportunity to damage the beads, even for the experienced guy.

Interesting development. The tire in the picture was one of the 4 I had walmart mount. The spare, I mounted by hand.

I didn't bother cleaning the wheel bead surface when I mounted the spare - as such, it would go flat in a few hours.

I put the spare on in hopes to bring this one to walmart. for some reason, on the vehicle, the spare holds air?

At some point, I will need to bring this one over to get it sealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back