Saturn experts....96 engine into a 2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, our 96 SC2 still runs great but is definitely showing its age. I found a 2000 SC2 for $500 that looks to be in great shape but may need an engine. (I haven't gone to look at it yet) If it wouldn't be too much of a headache, I was thinking about buying it and swapping the engine from our 96 into it. Anyone know if this will work?

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
So, our 96 SC2 still runs great but is definitely showing its age. I found a 2000 SC2 for $500 that looks to be in great shape but may need an engine. (I haven't gone to look at it yet) If it wouldn't be too much of a headache, I was thinking about buying it and swapping the engine from our 96 into it. Anyone know if this will work?

I doubt there were any major differences. But you might want to go over to Saturnfans to ask. Though, a lot of the Saturn heads are no longer there sadly...

Thanks for the quick responses. I was thinking it shouldn't be a big deal to make it work. Even if some things are a little different, I should have all the parts to make it work since I would have both complete cars.

Now the more difficult part. Our 96 is a 5 speed and the 2000 is an automatic. It would really be great to have the 5 speed in the 2000. I've done auto to manual swaps before, so I'm sure I could make it work as long as I have all the right parts.

It'll be work.

Look for the interchange on saturn fans.

The 2000s have a computer under the hood by the battery, the 96 is elsewhere. This computer change messes with how it talks to the instrument cluster, injectors, ignition module, etc.

Now you think, take the manifolds off the bad motor and put them on the good. The exhaust bolt pattern is different. There's a pre-cat in 2000 and an AIR pump system.

I've done mongrels, but I'd pass on this.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
It'll be work.

That's saying something, coming from you!

I would be really surprised if the Saturnfans.com stickies didn't have the step by step and what needs to be modified to complete your project.

Have not been on that board in years but received help years ago when swapping a manual transmission in a 1995 after the diff pin blew through the auto tragic. Some really good knowledgeable and helpful people including elejfino who comments on this board. When I sold the Saturn to a Dad and son some three years after the swap, they could not believe the car was originally an automatic. It was amazing how all the parts were similar to plug and play. E.g. Smaller brake pedal so a clutch pedal would fit into the foot well.
The project was reasonably enjoyable with the proper tools, lifting the car high enough up to lower the cradle to allow room to play through the driver's side wheel well and step by step info from Saturnfans.

I am sure a few other DIYers will offer up because the Saturns were neat little cars to DIY mechanic on.

2000-2002 DOHC engines has a completely different cylinder head than the 1999 and earlier DOHC engines.

Previous posters mentioned how the smog controls are different.

Do you live where smog testing is used? Sometimes a car can get rejected if the year of the engine is older than the car, or if casting numbers don't match up. In addition, the 2000-2002 engine may have been built differently internally to reduce smog.

What is wrong with the 2000 engine in that Saturn you are considering? Many people are able to save old Saturn engines by re-ringing the engine, and sometimes using different pistons with better oil drain methods to prevent oil burning.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
It'll be work.

Look for the interchange on saturn fans.

The 2000s have a computer under the hood by the battery, the 96 is elsewhere. This computer change messes with how it talks to the instrument cluster, injectors, ignition module, etc.

Now you think, take the manifolds off the bad motor and put them on the good. The exhaust bolt pattern is different. There's a pre-cat in 2000 and an AIR pump system.

O yea I didn't think of that. Isn't it the sohc that didn't have a air pump and stuff until 01?

If it's going to be that much trouble, maybe it's not worth it. Not sure what exactly is wrong with the engine in the 2000, they just said it has a knock but still runs and drives. I'll have to go look at it. Who know, it may not need even need an engine.

As for the 96, right now it needs a starter, the shifter is broken, the driver's window does roll up/down. It has a blown brake line, and the top piece of one of the headlights got so rusty that it flew off going down the freeway.

The 50 mile round trip to/from work every day at 12 mpg in the F-350 is getting a little expensive.

As for the 96, right now it needs a starter, the shifter is broken, the driver's window does roll up/down. It has a blown brake line, and the top piece of one of the headlights got so rusty that it flew off going down the freeway.

So basically just some minor stuff that you can fix for less money than buying the MY2000 car and so much less work than dealing with the engine that there's no comparison. Tough call.

I don't know much about Saturns but to make things simpler would the automatic from the 2000 fit the 96 motor? If the exhaust is different he could just hack half and half of each exhaust and make it fit

Originally Posted By: yonyon

So basically just some minor stuff that you can fix for less money than buying the MY2000 car and so much less work than dealing with the engine that there's no comparison. Tough call.

S-Series Swap guide

1. Starter. New $47.40 DB Electric on Ebay (that what I installed)
2. Window not roll up or down. Could be plastic slider. I had two of them break. Part was $7.
3. Shifter broken. Could need shifter bushing. $20 or so for part.
4. Blown brake line?
5. Top piece of headlight?

I paid to have low mileage engine put in my Saturn. YonYon has a good point. Smaller things I do myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back