Truck Double Standard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jrustles
Unfortunately, big trucks (and sports cars too) attract people with weak characters and low self-esteem that want to use these vehicles as props to enable feelings of self-empowerment, popularity and control ...

Baloney.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

Proudly stating that fuel theft from gas stations is a victimless crime, is pretty much the definition of weak character and low morals...

LOL Did I ever recant that statement? No.
And I'll say it again, if the 'loss' of a tank of gas falls on the (idiotically monopolistic) refiner ie the oil company, it will always be a 'victimless crime', no question in my mind.
thumbsup2.gif

They're too greedy and they make everyone else (soldiers, their families, innocent civilians, natives to a land, their station attendants, their own customer base who is dependent on them and they know it-- all pay hard, and mostly in prices that aren't exchanged as currency. Of course we the consumers get gouged without any shame or remorse -- because they can. Because they have the power to. I could never defend such greed using my own personal volition. What? You can without a second thought? Well, keep fighting for the 'good guys' then....

Trying to put that any more directly will caused the censors to kick in.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: strat81

I can play that game too.

Thing is, it's not a game. It's the truth. Read what I say carefully, I'm not the hippie green hybrid car driver you think I am because, so spiting them like this was a 2 team sport isn't accomplishing much. I could agree with you about the hybrids and the sedan crowd (though I have my doubts about how passionate the Camry crowd would get)

I never considered any one of you to be 'that type of person', well not until the angry reaction .... why would you get angry?

Certain personality types are attracted to that which appeals to them. It's simple. It's the entire basis of the consumer product industry and the basic rule of marketing to people- pander to what appeals to their personality type.

Do you think some spoiled brat that just turned 17 and wants (any given "Truck") to use it as a truck? No they want to sit higher than everyone else while they sit in traffic thinking that if they crash, they'll be best protected, or some other vacuous reasoning.

People hide behind clothes, houses, brands, jobs/titles, gadgets, race, name, 'things' all the time- and expect other people to like or respect them because of these 'things' that are external to- and have virtually nothing to do with their own character.

Jobs like politician attract greedy ladder climbing professional liars, jobs like enforcement/security attract power hungry abuse mongers, jobs like prostitution attract ... well if you don't get it by this point, there's no need to continue.

That's life!

What can I tell ya? Don't get mad about it, don't defend it, just don't be one of those people. Or be one of them, it's not my call!

Relax, the entire point was to highlight the fact that NOT EVERYONE who buys sporty cars (or trucks, or Scion xDs or VW Beetles) myself included, is like that.

jrustles- you're not making your angle on this very clear. If what you say above is "the entire point", then perhaps a [/sarcasm] tag would've helped? But then I'm not so sure you were being sarcastic because your subsequent posts seem to support the stereotypes you hold about certain vehicle buyers.

In the end, people buy vehicles for many different reasons, including:
- appearance / brand / "image"
- price
- space (cargo room, passenger room)
- extras/amenities/luxury/technical features
- fuel economy
- power
- handling
- reliability
- safety
- functionality (tow/haul)
- resale value
- ...more I've probably missed

I think you're VASTLY oversimplifying things by making it all about the first bullet point above, and then using anecdotal evidence to claim "It's the truth. [...] Certain personality types are attracted to that which appeals to them. [...] People hide behind clothes, houses, brands, jobs/titles, gadgets, race, name, 'things' all the time- and expect other people to like or respect them because of these 'things' [...]."

That's quite a stretch. People buy vehicles purely based on their personality? What about the many other factors listed above? People "hide" behind their vehicle purchases and expect people to like or respect them for it? Maybe a certain subset of buyers, the ultra-badge/image-conscious ones, but why do you choose to focus on that subset? Are you implying they are a majority of buyers? If so, do you have anything at all to support your claim? My guess is that most of the factors I've listed above play a part in most vehicle purchases, and trying to make it all about image as you claim is not only an oversimplification, it also appears to be totally baseless.

The silly part is misinterpretation of the statistics.

They only apply to a large group. They certainly DO NOT apply to the individual.

And I agree with the whole "why get mad" thing, as who cares what others think. That's the LAST consideration in a long list for me...

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: grampi

Judge me all you want. I don't care, but let me throw this out just for a thought. What do you think would happen to gas prices if everyone in the country who owns a pickup sold them and replaced them with a compact car? Gas prices would plummet...don't tell me what others do doesn't effect me...

Gas prices would not plummet, the sultans etc still want their income, the price would go up even more per gallon.

You need to take a basic economics course....drastic cuts in demand would force lower prices....attempts to raise, or keep prices high would be futal...

Originally Posted By: moving2

In the end, people buy vehicles for many different reasons, including:
- appearance / brand / "image"

Correct. And those included in this one category are the ones who are misrepresenting the others that buy for
Quote:

- price
- space (cargo room, passenger room)
- extras/amenities/luxury/technical features
- fuel economy
- power
- handling
- reliability
- safety
- functionality (tow/haul)
- resale value

That's all I'm saying
smile.gif
The first bullet point is also the primary means which marketers exploit for appeal- because there is an unreasonable, exploitable, emotional aspect to us all which can override the longer, reasoned list.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

And I agree with the whole "why get mad" thing, as who cares what others think. That's the LAST consideration in a long list for me...

+1000

You need to take a basic economics course....drastic cuts in demand would force lower prices....attempts to raise, or keep prices high would be futal...

grampi- and, apparently, you need to do some more reading.

Correct. And those included in this one category are the ones who are misrepresenting the others [...]

jrustles- you're still a bit unclear. Are you saying that people mistakenly assume the image-buyers represent the majority of drivers of these vehicles, or are you saying that image-buyers are the majority of drivers of these vehicles?

grampi- and, apparently, you need to do some more reading.

All true, but in the example I gave where everyone who owns a pickup started driving a compact car, it would literally take the oil industry years to figure out what to do with all of the excess production, and in the meantime, prices would have to go down...

One thing I notice about trucks(full size 1/2 tons) is they are driven by folks with $1M+ net worths. The ones(4 F150's, GMC Sierra, Tundra x2) about my neighborhood seem to be in that situation.

All true, but in the example I gave where everyone who owns a pickup started driving a compact car, it would literally take the oil industry years to figure out what to do with all of the excess production, and in the meantime, prices would have to go down...

The example you gave is not practical unless you have data showing what percentage of pickup owners "really need" a pickup, what percentage use them to haul their families around, etc. Just because you're not driving a pickup doesn't mean you can drive a compact car instead- many buyers will need a people mover like a minivan (not great gas mileage), or want a large car or even a sports car or an SUV. The fact you are picking on trucks (and not large cars, sports cars, minivans, etc.) only shows your bias here.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
brabus-mercedes-benz-b63s-6x6.jpg

This will fly here like a lead balloon, a $600k+ truck.

I'm really not into trucks, but if I had the money I would buy it just so I could watch the eco-weenies stroke out.

Correct. And those included in this one category are the ones who are misrepresenting the others [...]

jrustles- you're still a bit unclear. Are you saying that people mistakenly assume the image-buyers represent the majority of drivers of these vehicles, or are you saying that image-buyers are the majority of drivers of these vehicles?

"the rotten apples spoil the bunch" basically. this is my basis for why these kind of 'double standards' exist if you will

No, I'm not ascribing or suggesting any demographic distribution statistics of the drivers of any given vehicle type, one, because it's impossible for me to know and two, that would be needless discrimination

Originally Posted By: MCompact

I'm really not into trucks, but if I had the money I would buy it just so I could watch the eco-weenies stroke out.

hahahah

careful though that's a slippery slope, for you see 'they' (meaning anyone) might take that as a statement to your own weenie
lol.gif

"the rotten apples spoil the bunch" basically. this is my basis for why these kind of 'double standards' exist if you will

No, I'm not ascribing or suggesting any demographic distribution statistics of the drivers of any given vehicle type, one, because it's impossible for me to know and two, that would be needless discrimination

jrustles- well, by even using that idiom, you're saying the former. Considering the stereotypes you perpetuate, then use to explain why "others" think the same, you sure have a strange, roundabout, and vague way to make your point.

This ugly POS of a montrosity JEEZ............ only a rich spoiled with one nut would by this.

Still want an svt raptor though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back