Dodge Hellcat HP numbers released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
So its just a factory version of every other high HP Dodge that people have been building since they came out?

Like the name but would it have killed them to R&D a new car for it.

When your chassis is still lightyears ahead of your two competitors, why bother?

(the Challenger competes with cars that have back seats... not the Corvette.)

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Hopefully they totally reworked the entire suspension to work with all that power and torque. Otherwise?

The suspension is still the same design (it is not antiquated in any way yet) and has been re-tuned for the Hellcat. There was TONS left in the chassis/suspension. Brakes are up to six pistons from 4. Its the complete package, don't worry about that.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
So its just a factory version of every other high HP Dodge that people have been building since they came out?

Like the name but would it have killed them to R&D a new car for it.

When your chassis is still lightyears ahead of your two competitors, why bother?

(the Challenger competes with cars that have back seats... not the Corvette.)

The Challenger isn't a sports car, its a muscle car! Sure it handles way better than any early muscle car but that's not the point. The point is that awesome engine and the "smile on your face" driving experience I am sure it will give you!

I looked around a bit but didn't see any prices anywhere. Have they set a price yet? Of course the dealers will no doubt add a bunch to it but I am curious to see what MSRP is.

Originally Posted By: morepwr
I looked around a bit but didn't see any prices anywhere. Have they set a price yet? Of course the dealers will no doubt add a bunch to it but I am curious to see what MSRP is.

You and a few hundred thousand other people...
smile.gif

Best guesses all seem to peg it as a bit more than, but generally competitive with, the highest option/performance packages on the Mustang and Camaro. But below the Corvette and Viper, which as I always have to point out, don't compete with the Muscle Coupes. That would put it in the high $60k to $70k range for MSRP. People like to rag on the current Challenger for being heavier and more expensive than the other two, but that's its target market. A little higher content, a little higher price, more focus on road manners than absolutely dominating strip/track numbers. If I were really big in to going to the track, I'd have bought a Mustang, no question. But my thing is weekend drives, enjoying my commute (sometimes more than I should...), or jumping in the car with my wife and heading 500-700 miles a day west on a road trip. I get out of the Challenger feeling better than after a day in my office after a trip like that.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Hopefully they totally reworked the entire suspension to work with all that power and torque. Otherwise?

The suspension is still the same design (it is not antiquated in any way yet) and has been re-tuned for the Hellcat. There was TONS left in the chassis/suspension. Brakes are up to six pistons from 4. Its the complete package, don't worry about that.

The largest ever sold on a Chrysler product...

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I cannot think of a car I currently want more.

LOVE.

I can.

But this one is pretty high up on the desirability list.

Yes that beast is pretty sick, but I STILL say it needs MUCH more wheel/tire, both for road course AND drag strip use, and even for 'rowdy' street use!
eek.gif

I did not read up on it, is a manual gearbox even offered??
21.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Yes that beast is pretty sick, but I STILL say it needs MUCH more wheel/tire, both for road course AND drag strip use, and even for 'rowdy' street use!
eek.gif

I did not read up on it, is a manual gearbox even offered??
21.gif

From the Car and Driver Link at the beginning of this thread:
" Grunt gets channeled through either the Tremec TR6060 six-speed manual or a TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic, and it is then routed to the rear wheels via an uprated driveshaft, axles, and a rear differential with additional cooling. "

in that same article, as they are comparing HP#'s to the GT500(+45)and the Camaro ZL1 (+127), they said this:"and—in what may be viewed as an act of sacrilege by some—67 more hp than the V-10 in the current Viper. "
but remember, This engine is Blown, while the Viper V10 is NA.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
In that same article, as they are comparing HP#'s to the GT500(+45)and the Camaro ZL1 (+127), they said this:"and—in what may be viewed as an act of sacrilege by some—67 more hp than the V-10 in the current Viper. "
but remember, This engine is Blown, while the Viper V10 is NA.

It (the Viper) also weighs what, like 700+ lbs. LESS THAN this beast?

I would still rather have the NA new 5th gen Z28, since it IS the most 'balanced' for handling/road course use of the WHOLE domestic 4 seat lot, power deficiencies (and it's OWN heft) notwithstanding.

But yes, I may actually like the aesthetics of the Hellcat much more.

Amazing they offer a manual transmission for folks like me who want full control/application of power. That is win the lottery car for me.

The Hellcat and the Boss 302 are the two domestics that I sincerely lust after.

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
I'm sure it will be Fast in a Straight Line. I'm curious how car will handle at those speeds on long winding roads and curves?

They said the same for the Camaro.

The Z28 demolished the 'vette at the Nurimberg...
eek.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back