Adding Techron to Chevron gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I added Techron before fill-up once every other year, 1-2 tanks before smog test. Regardless which brand of gasoline I had/filled at that time.

Yes, it is safe to use in any gas. Every single brand has an additive already mixed into the fuel, but Techron is an extra boost so to speak.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Originally Posted By: dan765
Gents,

I searched for this with no luck.

Is it safe to add a bottle of techron to chevron gas?

Thanks.

Safe? Yes.
Beneficial? No

According to the Q&A section on Chevron's website, in most circumstances there is no need to ever add additional Techron to that which is already in Chevron and Texaco gasoline.

http://www.techron.com/what-is-techron/questions-answers.aspx#

...unless you occasionally use lower quality gas or operate under severe conditions (short trips, extreme cold, etc.).

Gents,

Thanks.

Safe? Yes.
Beneficial? No

According to the Q&A section on Chevron's website, in most circumstances there is no need to ever add additional Techron to that which is already in Chevron and Texaco gasoline.

That's assuming you're using their fuel (with their additive package) consistently.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Gents,

Thanks.

Safe? Yes.
Beneficial? No

That's assuming you're using their fuel (with their additive package) consistently.

And assuming that the additives made it to the gas you are purchasing.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Gents,

Thanks.

Safe? Yes.
Beneficial? No

And assuming that the additives made it to the gas you are purchasing.

You think they will really avoid putting in the required additive?

The large majority of additive dosing is done at fuel terminal, which serve multiple end customers. The terminal operator has no incentive to cheat. They've spent money on all that equipment and they're not going to let their customers do that. It's an automated process.

My understanding and I could be wrong was the additive was added when filling the actual gas stations tanks. This made sense to me since you see the same tank go from one gas station to another.

My understanding and I could be wrong was the additive was added when filling the actual gas stations tanks. This made sense to me since you see the same tank go from one gas station to another.

Not likely, although there's no legal reason why that couldn't happen. Costco has an automated system. They get unadditized gas from the terminal. On delivery to the station, they punch in the amount of fuel to be delivered, and they meter an amount of additives they keep in a local tank.

TiredTrucker has spelled out the way most do it. All fuel terminals have several additive tanks to keep additives provided for each particular name-brand, as well as "generic" additive for the independents. Each delivery is prearranged with the trucking company and driver. Each driver has an ID card with magnetic strip. The driver hooks up everything then swipes the card to begin the delivery. First the additive is metered into the tanker trailer, and the gas flows in, which effectively mixes the additive with the fuel. Then it's delivered to the gas station.

My understanding is that it's a lot safer to dump in additives using the automated equipment at the loading racks, and few gas stations want the expense of additive tanks and additive metering equipment. Costco has ridiculously high volume and does it.

In most locals, the additive is put in at the tank truck loading terminal (aka the tank farm).

As noted above, and also from another thread, Costco actually built holding tanks at each retail location, bought their additive(s) in bulk and added it to each truck delivery. Squeeze out every penny of profit, I guess.

Originally Posted By: dave5358

In most locals, the additive is put in at the tank truck loading terminal (aka the tank farm).

As noted above, and also from another thread, Costco actually built holding tanks at each retail location, bought their additive(s) in bulk and added it to each truck delivery. Squeeze out every penny of profit, I guess.

I think it's all a matter of economies of scale that drives how they do this. At the loading racks, each particular additive tank (and the equipment) can serve several gas stations for that particular brand. Costco has huge volumes, and their on-site additive system probably saves them money compared to paying to have it added at the loading rack. However, there probably has to be a volume of gas sales where this starts to make sense, especially given the additional maintenance and issues that occur if the additive metering equipment breaks down.

Another issue is regulatory. It's probably easier for a large industrial operation like a fuel terminal to handle it than a retail gas station that may be closer to residential areas. I remember researching Costco's new additive system. I did a search of the name of their additive and saw some county regulatory agency in North Carolina giving them the third degree about adding this system. Also - there were rumblings that regulations in California were why several stations in the state were the last to get the system added.

Also - Costco supposedly isn't trying to get much profit from gas sales. Their gas sales are supposed to drive business to the warehouse and to provide a service for members.

Ok all this makes sense. But why does a test of additives in fuel across the country show such a variation? Bad sampling?

Ok all this makes sense. But why does a test of additives in fuel across the country show such a variation? Bad sampling?

I don't know if additives can really be tested short of a full sequence test like the one Top Tier prescribes. The base fuel isn't that hard to test. You get composition and can probably run a field test for energy content, octane rating, and contamination. However, how to you test for detergent additive when the legal requirement is for efficacy and not content? A certain amount of PEA is useless, since there are so many types of PEA and not all of them are suitable as a fuel detergent additive. Also - PEA isn't the only detergent additive available.

Cool......thanks YPW......I just remember seeing a test where exxon/mobil consistently had the highest and most consistent numbers across the country....but I do not know how they did the testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back