by spasm3
10/25/14 10:10 AM
Oil recommendation for a 2015 Mazda 6
by BrianPA
10/25/14 09:20 AM
2015 Mazda 6 oil filter
by BrianPA
10/25/14 08:31 AM
Any contractors being hired to fight ISIS yet?
by LoneRanger
10/25/14 08:10 AM
NC Trip
by Quattro Pete
10/25/14 07:57 AM
TGMO or MGMO which is more desirable?
by Koz1
10/25/14 06:57 AM
Could this be the Royals year?
by reemoe2
10/25/14 06:44 AM
Do not drink now, wait...
by CourierDriver
10/25/14 05:54 AM
Clean thick oil in throttle body?!
by 19jacobob93
10/25/14 12:57 AM
Auto Parts Store Selling More Oil Filters Now..
by crazyoildude
10/24/14 11:27 PM
Sun facts
by oilboy123
10/24/14 11:25 PM
Newest Members
ChevyTwo, BrianPA, JeepCommander, hevslark, Hox
51688 Registered Users
Who's Online
75 registered (123Saab, 95busa, 2010_FX4, 13Tacoma, 01rangerxl, 8 invisible), 1838 Guests and 202 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
51688 Members
64 Forums
221182 Topics
3497087 Posts

Max Online: 2862 @ 07/07/14 03:10 PM
Donate to BITOG

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#3412725 - 07/02/14 04:51 PM Re: Cleaning Engine Internals [Re: Oldswagon]
Oldswagon Offline

Loc: ON
We just had the valve covers off the engine (probably the first time in over 25 years) and the valve train had some sludge, which is what made me think have cleaning it up a bit. Overall, it's not to the point of being catastrophic, just it's not overly clean. Plus with the minor lifter noise I figured the engine could benefit from some sort of cleaning.

I used Auto-RX on an old Chev 350 I used to own, but I am not sure if it really did much. To be honest it didn't really need a major cleaning (it was a very high mileage engine), I did it more as a preventative when Auto-RX was all the rage on this board.

It seems that there is more apprehension around using Auto-RX now, and I am still not sure about using solvent based engine cleaners, especially on a 40+ year old engine with old seals.

Will a HM oil clean up the engine better than a HDEO? I am leaning toward just sticking with the gentle approach with high detergent oil and short OCI.

#3412739 - 07/02/14 05:02 PM Re: Cleaning Engine Internals [Re: Kuato]
Trav Offline

Loc: MA, Mittelfranken.de
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: Trav

I strongly urge you to look through old threads on this ARX product especially the ones about posters being paid to promote this stuff.

FWIW I have received nothing from ARX except their product, at my expense.

After spending a lot of money on this product with zero results i would not buy another bottle or recommend it to anyone.

Look up some of my Honda engine cleaning threads about cleaning an engine. There are a few ways to do it and a few chemicals that may work better than others but there is nothing that is a one size fits all.

Perhaps your engine was too clean to benefit! I have used ARX on at least 3 used vehicles I purchased, and each time it worked as advertised.

Any pictures of how much sludge?.

Now that I agree with 100%! smile

Everything that needs to be said about this product has been said many times over. No need to rehash it.
Search the old threads.

#3412759 - 07/02/14 05:24 PM Re: Cleaning Engine Internals [Re: simple_gifts]
Trav Offline

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Some people have had good luck with autorx (like myself), others not. I believe there is a thread from dnewton where he got before and after compression readings and it certainly improved the #s.

I've taken aspirin to relieve a headache and it hasn't worked; that certainly doesn't disqualify it as a pain reliever when others ask for a recommendation.

You want compression readings) I can give all you want, how much of a difference would you like?
Don't ask me for proof. If thats the case show me his or are only certain people held to different standards?

Show me them on a recording compression tester if you want them to have any merit. I don't care who did it, if its not recorded by the actual tester its worthless.
No offense to you some people want to believe, show me the paper or lets stop the trash talk.

Lets see one done with this tool (or similar) and we can talk about compression reading results.
These testers are accepted by BMW, Mercedes, VW/Audi/Porsche, Dekra, TÜV, etc as proof for warranty work needed or completed repairs and are calibrated before use.
The card must be attached to the RO or they treat it as no proof provided. New cars use different methods also but this is the old standby.

http://www.motometer.de/recording-compression-tester.html

#3412832 - 07/02/14 07:17 PM Re: Cleaning Engine Internals [Re: Oldswagon]
richport29 Offline

Loc: Ontario
Amsoil engine and transmission flush

#3412895 - 07/02/14 08:14 PM Re: Cleaning Engine Internals [Re: Trav]
Mystic Offline

Loc: Colorado
The one thing I know for sure is that Kreen is made by Kano Labs, a chemical company. I would assume that a company that has been around for a while and has professional credentials can come up with professional products that are tested and work.

But there is another thing I know-Trav here is a professional mechanic in Germany and I believe he is well respected at this website. He has used Kreen. I will take his word also that Kreen works.

#3412908 - 07/02/14 08:28 PM Re: Cleaning Engine Internals [Re: Mystic]
Mystic Offline

And Trajan, before you say it-yes, I did use Auto-RX in the past and at first I thought it worked, because a seal leak stopped after I used Auto-RX. But after no one was able to provide solid evidence that Auto-RX actually cleaned the interiors of engines, after I was flat out attacked personally for daring to suggest that other products besides Auto-RX should be discussed in the Oil Additives Section, and one of more former posters here said they had been paid (with product) to promote a product here, which I don't know if that was the truth or not but it angered me, and after the behavior of certain people at this website who promote Auto-RX, I stopped using it. I stopped using it years ago.

So there, Trajan. I saved you from having to get into all of that.

Edited by Mystic (07/02/14 08:32 PM)

#3412933 - 07/02/14 08:52 PM Re: Cleaning Engine Internals [Re: Oldswagon]
Trajan Offline

Loc: SE PA
Care to list all those posts? Or would you rather I do it?

Nobody would make post after post over various threads praising it unless it worked.

And now you repudiate all your claims?

I have to question your.............. veracity perhaps?

Lack of harm does not mean proof of benefit.

#3412960 - 07/02/14 09:19 PM Re: Cleaning Engine Internals [Re: Trajan]
Mystic Offline

Same old tune, play it again. Same old tune, play it again. Same old tune, play it again.

Last time I checked Trajan this was still a free country. And a person is free to change their mind also. I changed my mind about Auto-RX years ago. I have not used Auto-RX in several years. I gave my last two bottles away to a guy here at bobistheoilguy.com.

So you want to question my....veracity perhaps? Let us take a look at yours. At one time you thought very highly of MMO. You said so here. But besides that, you put down MMO and Kreen every chance you get but Auto-RX is the real deal, right?

I have been waiting for the proof for many years now.

There are several reasons I moved on from Auto-RX. Some of those reasons are listed above. If that is not good enough for you too bad.

#3412984 - 07/02/14 09:43 PM Re: Cleaning Engine Internals [Re: Mystic]
Mystic Offline

Originally Posted By: Mystic
And Trajan, before you say it-yes, I did use Auto-RX in the past and at first I thought it worked, because a seal leak stopped after I used Auto-RX. But after no one was able to provide solid evidence that Auto-RX actually cleaned the interiors of engines, after I was flat out attacked personally for daring to suggest that other products besides Auto-RX should be discussed in the Oil Additives Section, and one of more former posters here said they had been paid (with product) to promote a product here, which I don't know if that was the truth or not but it angered me, and after the behavior of certain people at this website who promote Auto-RX, I stopped using it. I stopped using it years ago.

So there, Trajan. I saved you from having to get into all of that.

Just one more thing, Trajan. Here is what I said earlier. Check this: "...and after the behavior of certain people at this website who promote Auto-RX, I stopped using it."

#3413130 - 07/03/14 04:13 AM Re: Cleaning Engine Internals [Re: Oldswagon]
SteveSRT8 Offline

Loc: Sunny Florida
Originally Posted By: Oldswagon
...and I am still not sure about using solvent based engine cleaners, especially on a 40+ year old engine with old seals.

Will a HM oil clean up the engine better than a HDEO? I am leaning toward just sticking with the gentle approach with high detergent oil and short OCI.

Since Kano Labs has been selling Kreen for about that long it seems like a good fit!

But seriously, Maxlife comes in a synthetic and a blend and is a wonderful oil. It cleans quite well, if a bit slowly...
4340 pounds, Street tires
Just like we go to Publix

#3413225 - 07/03/14 08:16 AM Re: Cleaning Engine Internals [Re: Olas]
leroyd92 Offline

Loc: AZ
Originally Posted By: Olas
With the engine still in one piece and in the car, add 1qt of diesel to the sump, idle for 10 mins, replace filter, repeat. (As many times as necessary till the fluid stays clean.

If the engine is out/stripped then brake cleaner, pressure washer, autoclave, bucket full of nasty solvents etc..

this^^^^^^^^^^^^^

butt, id drain the oil out or fill it to the (full) mark if its low on oil...

i just got an engine with super super black thick looking 30/40 wt.

2 quarts diesel, 3 quarts fill oil, 3/5 10 minute idles.

fluid came out black, valve covers showed a spotless looking motor.

let it drain till nothing drips out, fill with favorite oil and enjoy

#3414241 - 07/04/14 08:02 AM Re: Cleaning Engine Internals [Re: Trav]
simple_gifts Offline

Loc: Middlesex County CT
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Some people have had good luck with autorx (like myself), others not. I believe there is a thread from dnewton where he got before and after compression readings and it certainly improved the #s.

I've taken aspirin to relieve a headache and it hasn't worked; that certainly doesn't disqualify it as a pain reliever when others ask for a recommendation.

You want compression readings) I can give all you want, how much of a difference would you like?
Don't ask me for proof. If thats the case show me his or are only certain people held to different standards?

Show me them on a recording compression tester if you want them to have any merit. I don't care who did it, if its not recorded by the actual tester its worthless.
No offense to you some people want to believe, show me the paper or lets stop the trash talk.

Lets see one done with this tool (or similar) and we can talk about compression reading results.
These testers are accepted by BMW, Mercedes, VW/Audi/Porsche, Dekra, TÜV, etc as proof for warranty work needed or completed repairs and are calibrated before use.
The card must be attached to the RO or they treat it as no proof provided. New cars use different methods also but this is the old standby.

http://www.motometer.de/recording-compression-tester.html

I don't understand your response or my original intent was misunderstood.

My only point is that it works for some, and not others; because it hasn't worked for 1 person or 5 doesn't disqualify it as an effective product for someone else.

There is a myriad of reasons it is recommended, perhaps it is more suitable for solving some issues than others.

Not sure what you want to pay for, but Linux never produced a dancing paperclip.

#3414340 - 07/04/14 10:11 AM Re: Cleaning Engine Internals [Re: simple_gifts]
Trav Offline

If 10 people buy paint remover and it doesn't remove paint but it removed paint for one person those are not good odds.

If the instructions were simply, put this in with your oil, run it 3K then run anther oil change for 3K to wash it out and your done.
If it doesn't clean your engine or you are not satisfied we will give you your money back no questions asked and they stood by it i have no problem with it.

It never worked that way. Instead customers were abused, accused of not following directions, buying counterfeit product, lying or not even buying the product.

#3414354 - 07/04/14 10:28 AM Re: Cleaning Engine Internals [Re: Oldswagon]
rockydee Offline

Loc: VA
I'm still pretty new here, so I took the advise a few times about reading old threads, and came to the conclusion my fav, MMO gives the best bang for the buck. I've used it on a few beater cars, project cars, and a clunker my daughter bought, along with clunkers buddies bought and the stuff works [good cleaner and hushes lifter noises in SB Chevy engines, if dirt is the problem].

I have a pretty long history with it like several members here and it works. At close to $30 a bottle for the rx, stuff and the controversy around it, I pass. I would test a free sample of it though, next time I run into someone with an engine needing it.

The Kano people make good stuff too, I trust them too.

#3414427 - 07/04/14 11:46 AM Re: Cleaning Engine Internals [Re: Trav]
Trajan Offline

Loc: SE PA
If 10 people buy paint remover and it doesn't remove paint but it removed paint for one person those are not good odds.

If the instructions were simply, put this in with your oil, run it 3K then run anther oil change for 3K to wash it out and your done.
If it doesn't clean your engine or you are not satisfied we will give you your money back no questions asked and they stood by it i have no problem with it.

It never worked that way. Instead customers were abused, accused of not following directions, buying counterfeit product, lying or not even buying the product.

And despite it all, it has been proven to work.

Dnewton, who was a skeptic, showed it worked. With more data presented than I've ever seen for kreen/mmo.

Artem showed pics in which it worked better than kreen. Which led to you claiming he was a shill.

Mystic has posted over and over and over that it worked.

SteveSRT8 had posted that it takes care of everything. That it is miraculous. (Compared to mmo in the oil.)

simple_gifts, and Kuato have posted it works. And you go after the former for it.

To say nothing of the late Gary Allan.

Even Molakule has good things to say about it IIRC.

What further proof do you need?

Edited by Trajan (07/04/14 11:55 AM)

Lack of harm does not mean proof of benefit.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >