Elantra transmission issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of weeks ago I replaced the alternator and the battery in my wife's 2004 Hyundai Elantra. Mileage on the car is 122k. Transmission has been serviced regularly and always with the recommended SPIII fluid. When the car had the alternator issue, it began shifting erratically. After the replacement of the alternator and battery, I still get an occasional flare between 3rd and 4th gear. It feels like it doesn't know which gear it should be in. We have only driven the car a couple hundred miles or so. It doesn't seem to slip, there are no dash lights coming on, and the issue seems to be intermittent. I know that this car has an adaptive transmission and I'm thinking it just needs to "re-learn" the shifts. Am I on the right track with this or am I likely facing transmission failure soon?

I had a shift issue but it was electronic as was warranty with hyundai. Maybe disconnect battery terminals for a bit and maybe it will work. Good luck

The car has adaptive learning for the transmission, but it will only change it's adaptive once the transmission fluid temp raises above 122 or 126 degrees Fahrenheit. Perhaps your trips have been short enough that it never warmed fully?

I didn't realize the temperature of the fluid had an impact. That is good to know. I'll keep on driving and see if it continues to improve. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back