New clutch shudder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
I recently did a clutch job due to my other post about being hard to shift.

All the parts I pulled off were in very good shape, and there were no drivability issues what so ever. The pilot was shot so I had a very hard time getting into gear from neutral.

Replaced everything. Everything went fairly smooth.

So the problem I am having now is minor clutch shudder (I think that's what its called?) I'm in and out of parking lots all day, and when I start to let off the clutch without gas, it shakes a bit. If I give it any gas, the problem is fine. Overall the shifts are fine, normal take off is perfect, gear to gear is perfect. Very smooth drivability.

I know the clutch is still breaking in (probably has a couple hundred miles), any chance it works its way out? I did clean the new flywheel and pp with brake fluid, I did not clean or touch the clutch disc.

I am also getting a skunk smell, after driving (which is probably the clutch).

I can't recall ever having any shaking with the previous equipment, and I'm always letting out the clutch without gas in parking lots.

TIA.

Hydraulic (new slave cyl). No adjustment except the self adjusting pp. Clutch engagement and disengagement is good. Solid pedal with no softness.

Could you have been touching it with greasy/oily hands? Maybe try heating it up but good one time to cook anything off. Stop short of burning fish smell, but get it warm.

I've been trying once in a while to gently slip it a bit on an upshift and a downshift on occasion. Never touched the friction, but there was only that small brown sheet of paper separating the disc from the pp in the package. Hopefully nothing transferred.

Originally Posted By: expat
You cleaned the Flywheel with BRAKE FLUID???

Lol!

I was looking at the post and wondering "What's wrong with that?" for a few minutes

It took me a while to figure that one out... Doh!

Good catch!

It might have made sense to VERY carefully measure/examine the new parts. Quality is always suspect these days.

The flywheel face must be very true or this type of thing may happen, drive it 1k miles and let us know if it wears in smooth...

How about an old fashioned check for a contaminated assembly?

Get the clutch warmed up by driving and slipping it a few times. Then spray carbon tetrachloride into the clutch. Then try the clutch by changing gears and driving it hard for a bit. If it's better you have your answer, contamination. Spray it a few more times and it might just clean it up and you're done.

This was a maintenance procedure for clutches in pre WWII days when oil leaks, material and designs were a problem.

Originally Posted By: 1kickbuttranger
Hello all,
I recently did a clutch job due to my other post about being hard to shift.

All the parts I pulled off were in very good shape, and there were no drivability issues what so ever. The pilot was shot so I had a very hard time getting into gear from neutral.

Replaced everything. Everything went fairly smooth.

So the problem I am having now is minor clutch shudder (I think that's what its called?) I'm in and out of parking lots all day, and when I start to let off the clutch without gas, it shakes a bit. If I give it any gas, the problem is fine. Overall the shifts are fine, normal take off is perfect, gear to gear is perfect. Very smooth drivability.

I know the clutch is still breaking in (probably has a couple hundred miles), any chance it works its way out? I did clean the new flywheel and pp with brake fluid, I did not clean or touch the clutch disc.

I am also getting a skunk smell, after driving (which is probably the clutch).

I can't recall ever having any shaking with the previous equipment, and I'm always letting out the clutch without gas in parking lots.

TIA.

You have either contamineted pp or flywheel or you bent presure plate while assembling it back together.It's easy mistake to make.You need bolt pp in circular way apllaying torque to all of the bolts at one time,in similar manner to reassembling engine head to block.

Obviously, he meant brake cleaner. He replaced the clutch by himself. He has more talent than most of us. I can't change my own oil and even I know to use the brake cleaner for that application.

Originally Posted By: 1kickbuttranger
I did clean the new flywheel and pp with brake fluid

If you actually did clean the flywheel an pp with brake fluid you contaminated it. Your supposed to use brake cleaner.

Originally Posted By: berniedd
If you used Chinese-made parts (especially the clutch disc), I'd say there's the cause. Get better replacement parts.

Then good luck with you future replacement parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back