Deville 1976

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I use shell Rotella on Deville 76? and which grade do you recommend?

15W-40 or 20W-50. Nobody else on this board has owned a vintage Cadillac but I HAVE. You'll get the smoothest operation and the best gas mileage with those two grades. 10W-30 is too thin for that motor.

i have a few old caddys including a 1970 convertible with the 472 i had a 75 sedan with factory air bags 8.2 litre 500 cubic inch

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
15W-40 or 20W-50. Nobody else on this board has owned a vintage Cadillac but I HAVE. You'll get the smoothest operation and the best gas mileage with those two grades. 10W-30 is too thin for that motor.

+1 I have a 70 Lincoln and these old big engines need the heavier weight oil.

I agree with Milkman 10w-40 would be ideal. However, I don't think Rotella offers that grade. You can always start with the T5 10w-30 and then progress to a 15w-40 Rotella if necessary.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Absolutely no reason to run a 50 weight in this engine design.

How about keeping your hydraulic lifters pumped up and maintaining the zero valve lash clearance.... is that reason enough?

How about keep your hydraulic lifters pumped up and maintaining the zero valve lash clearance.... is that reason enough?

To repeat myself, a 50 wt (or even a 40 for that matter) is not required to do that in this engine design. Rebuild a few and you'll understand.

To repeat myself, a 50 wt (or even a 40 for that matter) is not required to do that in this engine design. Rebuild a few and you'll understand.

Have you ever OWNED one? I have and they will get lifter tick when using thin oil.

Have you ever OWNED one? I have and they will get lifter tick when using thin oil.

'68 472. Ran perfectly on 5W30 (no lifter tick - lol). Made a "bit" more power than a '76 smog motor.

I had a '71 472 and it runs perfectly with 10W30....it had the same diet from new and was finally retired in 2004 with 325k miles....all original except exhaust, radiator, alternator, belts/hoses, and tires. It still lives although not registered anymore....even has the original water pump and starter.

I should have informed you that this car will be driven in very hot climate outside Canada ( temp ranges from (38 C to 48 C)

My mom and dad had a '76 Deville as well as a '72 Buick Electra 225 with the 455 and they both did well with 10-30 oils. No need for a heavier oil.

How about keeping your hydraulic lifters pumped up and maintaining the zero valve lash clearance.... is that reason enough?

Do you remember what the minimum HTHS of even a 10w-40 was back in those days compared to now? Take a look at some of the old SAE viscosity charts.

Originally Posted By: momo
I should have informed you that this car will be driven in very hot climate outside Canada ( temp ranges from (38 C to 48 C)

Ensure your cooling system is in order before you worry about the oil.
wink.gif
A 10w-30 grade HDEO or even a 15w-40 would be among my first choices. Valvoline VR1 10w-30 would be reasonable, as would QS Defy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back