2012 Honda CBR250R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, my shopping paid off. I found a NEW, 2012 Honda CBR250R new still at the dealer for $2999. Now, I talked to them and their price is firm so I am assuming with tax, title, tags im looking at about $3400. Anyone think I should snag this as my first bike? Suggestions?

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Anyone think I should snag this as my first bike? Suggestions?

For a new bike with full warranty, the price is certainly good. Whether it's the right bike for you, I think only you can answer that after you spend some time with it.

If you buy it, make sure they change all the fluids since it sat for 2 years. Then again, I suppose you could go the first 600 miles and do it then since that is when the first service is due, I'm guessing.

i think you will find the power barely adequate to start... and frustratingly slow in a couple of weeks.

Try and find a 500 parallel twin or I4 , or an SV 650. v-twin.

With these, you will find them scary fast to start (relatively...) , but with adequate power once you get used to it.

The other thing to remember is the bike goes as fast as the RIDER tells it to...
not the other way around...ride a 1000 cc , 170 hp rocket ship at 1/2 throttle or below, and it is very easy to ride. Treat the throttle like an on/off switch at medium revs or higher, and you WILL! die... the INCREDIBLE acceleration is what gets inexperienced riders into trouble, and that requires a big twist and hold...! Also, losing the back end is a result of too much throttle most times as well...

Most 600 cc sport bikes, for example, are fairly docile until you get way up on the tach. Keep the revs lower, and they ride like a 250, sort of...!

You just don't want to HATE the bike 'cause it is too slow... which almost everyone who buys a 125/250 does...

Learning to ride is a super steep learning curve, no matter what you start on...!

Sounds like the perfect bike for you. How many miles does it have on it? I wouldn't be worried about the fluids. Just get it good and hot. New is good, since you know it wasn't abused yet and you will know all the fluids that goes in it.

Although I just had a thought. You may want a bike with abs if your new.

Hey guys, my shopping paid off. I found a NEW, 2012 Honda CBR250R new still at the dealer for $2999. Now, I talked to them and their price is firm ...

On a 2012 new non-current model, the price is never FIRM...! If you decide this could be the bike for you, I would NEVER start at their asking price. The dealer wants it gone, and they are just feeling you out with their FIRM stance.

And, yes, they might claim they are losing money, but they are losing money NOT selling it... !

Work on those negotiation skills... it can be fun...!

Last edited:
ive used a 2004 Ninja 250 as my daily commuter bike in the summer for the past 9 years.. and its been a great utility/mile maker bike.. Its a excellent first bike.. and that price is very, very good.. I ride a R1 as a pleasure machine and its got more power than i need by far.. starting on a 250, stepping up to a twin 650 or 600cc inline 4 after a season or two is A-OK ! I bought the "little ninja" for my wife and its been a great work companion for me for the 10-mile each way commute to work.

If your new to bikes and want a **NEW** bike you could do alot worse. Remember your going to tip it over, most likely dump it, all while learning.. If you could find a good used 250 for $1,500- $2,000 thats the way i would direct you.. 2 pennies.

A CBR250R is a fuel injected liquid cooled 4v single that makes about 24hp, compared to something like a rebel which is a carb'ed air/oilcooled parallel twin making around 19hp it will be nicer and faster but it is still a 250. Seems to have a top speed in the 85-90 range.

That bike listed for ~4099.00 so thats 25% off if they don't try to load you up with freight, set up, doc fees and all that garbage. I'd ask for an out the door price, that is the best way to shop bikes usually.

I see:
Pros,
New bike with warranty and likely to be trouble free so you can concentrate on riding.
Should be adequate for a year or so maybe longer depending on how and where you ride.
If price is legitimate you probably won't get hurt too bad on it when you sell.
Should be a blast on back roads once you learn to ride it.
Its sometimes possible to negotiate things like accessories at substantial discounts on the same day as a bike purchase, which can really help with gear for a new rider.

Cons,
Just a 250, may outgrow very fast
Even though bike is new, it is a two year old bike and no longer new as soon as you ride off on it, buyers won't likely consider that you did not get it until 2014 and 2015's will be out soon. Still NADA on it is 3100.00 in used condition so it could be a good buy.
Not the ABS model...
Not a 500...
Probably will be unhappy on the expressway...

When I worked in a bike shop, we did not fill them with oil or charge the battery until the unit was sold except in very limited circumstances. It was some time ago though so things may have changed.

Okay. I was planning on using this for just roads mainly under 40 mph. Nothing like highway or interstate. But what would you start off with in bargaining with a dealer that has this bike? Like $2900 including tax, title tags? More? Less?

What price would you start out with then in bargaining? I would like to give them a price that includes tax, title and tags. Thanks for your help as well.

What price would you start out with then in bargaining? I would like to give them a price that includes tax, title and tags. ...

I personally would negotiate based on an "OUT the door price".

I personally think you would be fine if you could get it for the $2999.00 plus tax, but would probably start with a $2999.00 out the door offer and work my way up to $2999.00 plus tax out the door if needed.

Yesterday would probably have been a good day to try this so they could get one more in for the month... but...

There also may be some dealer incentives on this model, but they might go away when 15's come out, it wasn't uncommon for bikes older than 2 years to lose factory to dealer cash when I worked in a bike shop, Kawasaki was worse than Honda about that sort of thing though, and again it was a long time ago.

IME one big key is to decide what you're willing to pay and be prepared to walk if they won't do it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back