BlackStone July oil report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I saw it earlier today.

Quote:
Your engine is going to be fine as long as there’s some lubrication getting on all those moving parts, so stop beating yourself up about what oil type to use. We hereby grant you oil freedom for the rest of your days!

I think they just killed the whole spirit of BITOG a little with that statement.
smile.gif

dnewton has been saying this for quite a while. Focus on ROI if you want to actually achieve something meaningful from all of the BITOG obsessing.

Build your stash up on sales/rebates and you'll be 'outperforming' others.

The real argument for the "obsessers" like myself is, ROI vs. Anal-Retentiveness.

If you are 100% committed to doing what's absolutely the BEST for your engine, I've always thought that 1k mile OCI's with SuperTech is better for your car than 8-10k mile OCI's with Red Line, Motul, PU, M1, etc.

Of course, 1k mile OCI's with Red Line or Motul would be THEE BEST, but people don't waste that kind of money and talk about it, admit to it. I do this on my scooters/motorcycles, but most hardly get driven, except my Ruckus, and that thing only holds 0.7 quarts of oil. So I can afford to "waste" my money on that thing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: thunderfog
Every BITOGer's brain just supernova'd after reading that.
banana2.gif
lol.gif

Although intellectually I know that changing oil around like that is meaningless, I still felt weirded out reading that article.
19.gif

Originally Posted By: Phishin
If you are 100% committed to doing what's absolutely the BEST for your engine, I've always thought that 1k mile OCI's with SuperTech is better for your car than 8-10k mile OCI's with Red Line, Motul, PU, M1, etc.
I thought I read here that there was anecdotal evidence that changing oil TOO often could be detrimental...something about the AW layer needing time to plate properly...

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Although intellectually I know that changing oil around like that is meaningless, I still felt weirded out reading that article.
19.gif

Originally Posted By: Phishin
I thought I read here that there was anecdotal evidence that changing oil TOO often could be detrimental...something about the AW layer needing time to plate properly...

plating take 1000 mile

Wow, I would have expected something a little more scientifically valid coming from Blackstone than that worthless article. They are drawing conclusions that people mistakenly make on here all the time. Comparing some UOA's to correlate to engine wear? LOL.

Sorry but only an auto manufacturer is actually able to design the motor and oil specs and perform the necessary tests to validate those designs. Oil manufacturers and additive formulators have the capability to fully understand the performance of an oil and why the specs are what they are.

Oils have different specifications for a reason. All oils can not meet the same specs and only the engineers of the auto manufacturer truly knows why they spec what they spec'd.

Comparing some UOA's for different oils is grade school level compared to what would really be required to compare two different oils.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Originally Posted By: thunderfog
Every BITOGer's brain just supernova'd after reading that.
banana2.gif
lol.gif

Boom!

Well, no.
Blackstone has a large enough base of UOAs that they can draw valid comparisons from it.
Blackstone is only reiterating what most of us here already know.
As long as you use an oil that meets reasonably current specs, your engine won't know the difference.
Your pocketbook might.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
UOA is not wear rate. Period. No matter the amount of data they have.

Of course it's wear rate.
Where else do you think the metals are coming from?
Whether it's a complete picture of wear rates or whether a couple of PPM variation has any meaning is another matter.

Nope. It is wear but not wear rate. What is analyzed in oil is an incomplete picture of the wear coming from the engine internals and this extremely poor experiment design. The oil analysis itself is not able to measure all of the metal in the oil and you have an oil filter catching stuff. Until you can measure all metals that wear from the engine internals you do not have the actual wear rate.

You don't need to capture ALL of a particular thing before you can quantify how much of that thing is being generated. You need some additional info, which has been studied and characterized to some extent, and then you can determine larger things based upon smaller fractions.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Nope. It is wear but not wear rate. What is analyzed in oil is an incomplete picture of the wear coming from the engine internals and this extremely poor experiment design. The oil analysis itself is not able to measure all of the metal in the oil and you have an oil filter catching stuff. Until you can measure all metals that wear from the engine internals you do not have the actual wear rate.

then why bother with oil sampling? I use oil samples for dirt entry, signs of coolant, fuel dilution and trend variance. They are instructive for main and rod roll in time on my loaders and that K&N air filter was not good for use in dusty conditions.

We have oil reps come to my work with the dog and pony show which is both entertaining and informative. 26,000 hours on a cheap Mitsubishi diesel on Shell Rotella T and no oil sampling and very dusty conditions (cement bagging plant) says the oil is doing it's job and so is my PM guy.

When i get super wealthy in am going to make a system where you have to put oil into your car just like gas. The oil will get used once then moved to a separate used oil tank . The engine will receive a constant supply of new oil although i'm sure many problems will arise.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: joegreen
When i get super wealthy in am going to make a system where you have to put oil into your car just like gas. The oil will get used once then moved to a separate used oil tank . The engine will receive a constant supply of new oil although i'm sure many problems will arise.

Your wear rate would go up. The fresh detergents would remove all of the tribochemical barrier and every single start sequence would be metal-on-metal, as well as any low-pressure condition such as idling.

Buy and read SAE 2007-01-4133. Also, backed up by my UOA normalcy article data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back