Looking for heat resistant oil changing gloves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please explain how that could possibly be "far" better. Even how it could be just plain "better" than waiting 15 minutes.

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
I agree on the ten minutes, while its far better to do the hot drain, 10 minutes isn't going to matter much other than getting burned. I normally double up on throw away nitrel gloves.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Doesn't fumoto keep a few extra ounces in the pan? Seems like what OP is trying to avoid.

I suppose anything is possible, but I have never really considered it an issue. Used them on semi trucks that have gone well over 1 million miles without major engine work, so much not be that big of a deal. Used them on several smaller vehicle and never felt it was an issue. Sure, there might be a little bit left in the pan, but in the broad scope of things, I doubt it really makes a difference. Even if I was using standard drain plug, I am not going to wait for a couple of hours to make sure every last drop is out of there either.

So now we are, among other things, advocating:

1. Purchase a Fumoto valve
2. Purchase Kevlar gloves
3. Purchase foundry/welding gloves
4. Purchase a new drain pan with a screen

All of which are just to change the oil.

Why not wait 10-15 minutes until the engine and oil are no longer "super hot", and wearing a standard nitrile disposable glove, remove the existing drain plug and allow the oil to drain into a standard oil collection pan.

O.M.G.

If I were OP, I'd step up my game, maybe use a different drain pan. One with a screen? He could loosen the drain bolt and let it drop/ fly into the drain pan without getting lost in the boiling oil. If he only touches it for 1/10 sec it won't transfer enough heat to his finger tips to do damage.

Does anyone know how much trapped oil there is in an engine? There has to be some, but my car manuals don't give a "total capacity vs. drain and refill" figure like they do for coolant.

I can't for the life of me think that the tiny amount you don't get out by not draining it "super hot" is anywhere near the trapped volume.

Besides, with modern oils why not drain it after it has sat all night? I've never really gotten that either. For the oil I use it drains pretty readily when cold, thank you.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
^b/c the OP has an aversion [ocd?] to "dirty" engines.

Right on KitaCam.I've been involved with motor oil,gear oil,ATF,hydraulic oil,peanut oil et.al. and had plenty of it on me. At 77, I don't have problems from contact with hydrocarbons ,but shingles came close to doing me in and left me with recurring episodes of terrible nerve pain. If you have had chickenpox, get the shingles vaccination. You don't want to have PHN the rest of your life.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
So now we are, among other things, advocating:

1. Purchase a Fumoto valve
2. Purchase Kevlar gloves
3. Purchase foundry/welding gloves
4. Purchase a new drain pan with a screen

All of which are just to change the oil.

Why not wait 10-15 minutes until the engine and oil are no longer "super hot", and wearing a standard nitrile disposable glove, remove the existing drain plug and allow the oil to drain into a standard oil collection pan.

O.M.G.

If I were OP, I'd step up my game, maybe use a different drain pan. One with a screen? He could loosen the drain bolt and let it drop/ fly into the drain pan without getting lost in the boiling oil. If he only touches it for 1/10 sec it won't transfer enough heat to his finger tips to do damage.

"Purchase Welding/Foundry Gloves" is the best one, I think. Now we're talking.

Im just glad that Im not so anal as to change my oil when the engine is as hot as the sun.
smile.gif

Doesn't fumoto keep a few extra ounces in the pan? Seems like what OP is trying to avoid.

That may be application specific. I tested that notion in my G. After the Fumoto quit dripping altogether, I took it out. The pan resumed dripping for a bit. Nothing actually poured out, so I doubt much extra was left. Of course, that would depend on the pan geometry in various applications.

Originally Posted By: Garak

That may be application specific. I tested that notion in my G. After the Fumoto quit dripping altogether, I took it out. The pan resumed dripping for a bit. Nothing actually poured out, so I doubt much extra was left. Of course, that would depend on the pan geometry in various applications.

...and the tilt of the car, whether or not horizontal on a hoist?

Last edited:
Just wait a few minutes, the oil is not going to flow upwards, it will all drain to the pan whether you open the plug right away or wait an hour...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back