Synthetic 5/10-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak

Now, if you were really worried about avoiding varnish and having sufficient HTHS (and never even have to worry about the oil in winter), you'd use something like Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0w-30, which is definitely thicker than any 10w-30 PCMO you'll find, with far better cold cranking specs than 10w-30 or 5w-30, and at a price I would guarantee is better than almost any other synthetic on the market in Canada and at a better price than most regularly priced conventionals, too. I suspect the same argument would apply to Petro-Canada's Duron 0w-30, although I'm not certain about its pricing, but I suspect it's competitive with Imperial Oil's offering.

The HDEO 0w30s you mentioned are very fine oils, built with above average basestocks vs your average GF-6 or mineral HDEO. For robustness, they will always trump the EC/RC range.

But sometimes, one does want to limit HTHS, especially in commuters. EC/RC GF-6 10w30 is not an HTHS superstar, but it's about as good as it gets (generally) with an EC/RC rating.

The risks of overheating or running hotter than normal during summer, especially in power dense engines. is more of a concern than experiencing unseasonably cold weather where I'd want a 0w in the pan during July.

Therefore, 0w30 Synthetic HDEOs while quite robust, the grade itself is something I do not need in the summer. I would rather an equivalent synthetic HDEO 5w30, or dare I say it, 10w30. Just my personal preference.

As molakule has pointed out (and I'd hate to use his example for my case knowing he does not agree with much of my rationale) but those synthetic HDEOs would be blended with a carefully selected base oil mixture/ratio specifically chosen for a 0w rated 30, again, not design parameter I'm looking for in a summer oil (but come winter, definitely something I'm looking for).

I've got no problem with people using high quality 0w's all year round as a point of convenience; that's a selling point and great help to some consumers, but I would never select FOR it when not required, personally. I'd just prefer to fuss about getting the absolute most tailored oil selection possible for the conditions- hence being on BITOG
cheers3.gif

unless a group IV or V oil the wider the spread requires more fragile VII. Amsoil 30 wt PAO acts as a 10-30 without any VII. real synthetics are superior in many ways + especially important in todays DI engines + turbo applications. big air cooled motorcycles really need quality true group IV + V oils for long life or very frequent changes with lesser oils

Originally Posted By: jrustles
Therefore, 0w30 Synthetic HDEOs while quite robust, the grade itself is something I do not need in the summer. I would rather an equivalent synthetic HDEO 5w30, or dare I say it, 10w30. Just my personal preference.

Of course, as you know, any 0w-XX or 5w-XX rating, of course, would preclude the need for seasonal changes. After all, nothing is every "required." You could run SAE 30 all summer and have no concerns. Nonetheless, if one is so concerned about overheating or running hotter in summer, then I really don't think 10w-30 is the answer to that. To me, the extra 0.1 or 0.2 of HTHS (or possibly no difference at all) is more of a feel good measure than anything else.

The concern I'd have with the equivalent 5w-30 HDEO would possibly be cost. I don't know off the top of my head how Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 compares with the 0w-30. The price on the 0w-30 is extremely hard to beat.

The Delvac exotics are harder to find, but Delo 5w30 and 0w30 are readily available in my area, and reasonably priced. And with recent price increases for various brands, AMSOIL HDD 5w30 is now just a few $$ more expensive...!

And I agree, if you think you need slightly thicker, more robust oil, a Resource Conserving 10w30 is probably not of much benefit...

I could see years ago people being a little afraid of 5w-30 grades. I wasn't even then. But now, and especially with synthetic 5w-30s, there's no reason to be concerned, particularly if wanting an ILSAC 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back