Finally Cut the Cable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So last night, I was thinking to myself how much money I could save by cutting the cable. By my estimation, by getting rid of cable, I could save about $75 a month.

Then, just as I was debating that, the cable and Internet service went down - pretty typical of TW here. Actually, it had not gone down in a few weeks so they were doing better!

At 650 I placed the call to downgrade my service.

Of course, on their automated menu, you have to mention whether you want to upgrade or downgrade. I made the mistake of saying downgrade.

At 915, I thought I was going to have a Samsung Galaxy S4 firestarter - the phone was HOT ... but someone *FINALLY* picked up! I could not use my home phone service (basictalk) as my Internet connection was down.

After another 30 minutes of the lady on the other end trying to get me to pay for local channels (the ones I can pick up with a $10 antenna) I managed to drop the cable service.

My bill went from $120 (depending on month) to $19.

Obviously, no more cable, but I do have Netflix. I know a few people that have the $14.99 Internet plan and it works just as good as their more expensive Internet services.

I can lease a car with what I have saved!

The good news -- when I pay the car off next month, I'll be spending (quite literally) only HALF of my income (after tax) on bills. I can save 50% of my income for a house!

Good for you! Now, put your money into a ROTH IRA
smile.gif

Yes, I too would like to eliminate my cable experience with TW as I am just not happy with the quality of programming delivered. With the exceptions of stations such as...History, Discovery and The Weather Channel etc. most programming/advertisements leave much to be desired.

Last edited:
We cut our cable bill from nearly $200 all in with taxes and fees (phone, internet, cable) to about $40/month all in for broadband. Add Netflix @ $8/month, add Hulu Plus @ $8/month, add Amazon Prime @ $8.25/month, and we're paying about $70/month for a pretty comprehensive package of streaming content and internet access.

I tried the "Basic" 3 Mbps internet plan @ $30/month, but it wasn't enough to reliably stream most content...or...it might could stream ONE thing, but as soon as you wanted to do something else on the internet, the streaming content would start cutting out. So we had to move back up to the "Standard" 15 Mbps plan @ $35/month (plus fees).

Congratulations on dropping cable!

Time warner just sent us a letter that my 15/1 service was magically being increased for free to 50/5.

The 20/1 service was going to 100/1.

This is because google fiber is coming to town, ATT and Grande are boosting speeds and following suit as well.

Austin TX suburbs.

I might go to a basic dish package instead of cable. I only watch a few channels on there, and mostly local. We are sort of rural, so antenna is flakey for me, unless I put up a roof mount deal.

AAA just offered us a basic directv package for 10 dollars off their best price, will have to see what that is about.

Just did the same!! was paying $60+ per month for just my dish TV package and dropped it to the smallest package @ $19.99/month. Also called Frontier phone company who offers JUNK service anyway and cut my home phone plan from $52.99 month down to $22.00 (can't eliminate it completely because our cell phones aren't 100% useful all the time where I live)

Of course, now that I cut out of their 3 service "package" my "hi speed" DSL (all of 1 mpbs) went up slightly to $39.99 per month... Either way I saved some beer money!!!

Knock on wood, around here their basic plan doesn't seem to be anything different than the regular plan. Plus, being just me in the apartment, hopefully I won't be using too much throughput.

The extra money will be going into my 'I need to buy a house' fund. As will the money from no longer having a car payment
laugh.gif

I have netflix and it works well enough for me. Truth be told, I have been so busy lately, that I don't even have time to watch that. Between work, going to the gym daily, Jeep events, going to see friends/family, summer mini-road trips ... I just don't get to be in front of the TV much.

I don't think the XBox has been turned on in a few months now.

Originally we had Bright House bundle package, the freaking taxes that they collect on top of the package price is ridiculous. So, I cut the cord back in January 2013 and have not looked back. I did some research on Antennaweb and purchased an Antenna-craft HBU-22. In which, I mounted it in our attic and feed the wire to the distribution box Bright House left behind. Picture quality is way better than the [censored] Bright House is sending. In addition, we have a Roku 2 media streaming device in our bedroom. Had Netflix and Hulu Plus (got old quick), currently using Amazon Prime to stream media from. Plus watching the World Cup from the ESPN channel. You have so many options now with streaming content. Good luck!

Oh! Forgot to mention. HSI from Bright House 10/1 is 54.99/month, if you go through EarthLink its 43.99/month. The kicker is you keep the same equipment and the bill is on Bright House letter head. Recently, EarthLink sent me a letter they were increasing service fees and implementing a rental fee for the modem. Screw that! I purchased a Motorola Surfboard SB6141 for less than $60 bucks. It will pay for itself in 15 months. Always trying to nickel and dime you. End of rant!

Last edited:
Wish we could get our hands on a $14.99 internet. Cablevision down there, and the cheapest plan I see is $50 for new customers.

I'd like to say I'd drop the basic cable service we pay ~$13 for if/when we start getting forced to pay for the cable box, but I'm not sure how I would get certain things like the local news in the morning.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Good for you! Now, put your money into a ROTH IRA
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Miller88
The extra money will be going into my 'I need to buy a house' fund. As will the money from no longer having a car payment
laugh.gif

If you're not doing the ROTH already, you could always add to a ROTH and withdraw the principal penalty free when the time comes if that's what you want. Of course some risk to losing money in the short term.

Last edited:
I did the same thing 6 months ago I think? I was paying over $100 a month to Direct tv. Instead I bought a couple digital antennas and got a Roku box. So I have Netflix and I am going to get Amazon. Still have to pay $55 a month for internet but it feels great to get rid of $100+ a month in bills.

My girlfriend was a big cable fan. We had the works and it was pricey.

I finally made the calls a while back now we just have Unlimited and Netflix, and use XBMC here and there.

With a Roku we are very happy, and no more insane bills.

Cable is boring with all the ads anyway, we really don't miss it.

We also save on not renting anymore as it is pointless.

Our 4 year old daughter has a ton to watch on Netflix Kids so we don't bother borrowing kids DVDs from the Library anymore either.

So a great time saver too, and less gas spent returning DVDs. And at our Montreal gas prices that is significant.

Last edited:
Maybe you'll get lucky like I did at age 22 purchasing my first house and cable still worked for 4-5 years from previous owner hookup. I rarely watched it anyway.

I'm currently in the process myself. All that's left to do is watch a couple of things from my DirecTv DVR then call to cancel. Last week I had a powerful rooftop antenna and pre-amp installed. I then connected that to a Tablo 4-channel OTA DVR. This is a new product that you connect a hard drive to and the system distributes the OTA signal via wifi to devices in your home, such as a Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV, and tablets. It can also stream remotely. Anyway, I bought a couple of Roku 3, and that's how I get the OTA DVR to my TVs. So far it's been working great. The initial investment was high, but less than a home theater PC, which I had been considering building. I'm currently paying $108 for DirecTv, and it will take me about a year to recover the initial costs (antenna, Tablo, Rokus, HDD, etc). After that, we'll see substantial savings.

Also in the last couple of years, we dumped our landline from the local telecom in favor of a $10/month Vonage package (it was a special offer at the time, a precursor to Basic Talk). Saved $30+ in the process. Additionally we moved cell service from Verizon post-paid to Page Plus pre-paid. Page Plus uses Verizon towers, so there's absolutely no change in coverage. Saving about $100/month for two smart phones from that move.

All the saving makes it almost easy to accept that I'm paying $67/month for internet. Congrats to the OP, best wishes reaching your goals.

I keep trying but without cell reception inside home and distrust of vonage I stick to Xfinity Cable and Phone and have TV as it another $50 in mix after discounts. It seems they want TV and then add ons in pricing. Not internet and phone stand alone.

I require perfectly clear phone and reliable internet with great upload(5mpbs) to do my job(100% telecommute) which Xfinity provides.

Cut Cable about a year ago, and got a roku. I save $75 a month, but now it seems I watch more TV than I ever did.

We did this about eight months ago, and I hate to say it but.... I kind of miss it. Not enough to turn it back on, but later on in life when I'm through my "prepare for later on in life" savings crunch where I'm looking to cut every unnecessary thing possible I will probably turn it back on.

I cut cable and use netflix and an outdoor antenna. Don't miss the cable bill, however the internet cost is $60/month. Luckily I think most of the stuff on TV is pretty bad and mindless.

Good luck saving for the house!

Good for you. However, if you do any video streaming, I don't think you are going to be very satisfied with the $14.99 internet. (It's 2mbps down, which is below the netflix requirement of 3 for HD service)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back