New to me 2012 Chevy Sonic 1.4L Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the same drive train as the cruze eco with the 6speed manual transmission. I am wondering if some of you guys with either car can chime in? Are these cars very hard on oil? Should I run flat 5k OCI with 5w30 syn dexos 1, or follow OLM? Also I live in a very hot climate in the south valley near Phoenix, AZ. During the summer should I run something a little thicker than 5w30?

I'd follow the OLM and just run a full synthetic 5W-30 that meets Dexos1. Hot climate & turbo are hard oil IMO.

I dont know if I would use the OLM. Someone with the Cruse with the turbo lost his engine due to some major sludging. I personally think 5-6K is a good OCI, but others will disagree.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I dont know if I would use the OLM. Someone with the Cruse with the turbo lost his engine due to some major sludging. I personally think 5-6K is a good OCI, but others will disagree.

If it's the same situation I recall, it was a Cruze down in OZ. That person never changed the oil, period. The motor was OK but the Turbo was FUBAR. New turbo and it was back burning gas, hopefully lesson learned. New cars these days need less gauges and more urgent idiot lights. The kind of idiot lights that verbally abuse you when you ignore them.

I would use 5w-30 syn brand of your choice and follow the olm. If u drive it hard or race it, then I would change oil at no more than 5k miles. Personally, I would use 10w30 during Ur blazing hot summers.

If it were my car I'd use a full Dexos synthetic like Mobil 1 and just go by the OLM.

I'm betting that if a motor get sludge the dealership would have a flush procedure in place as part of the maintenance.

This is what I found out when I had my 89' Camary that when it was time for the major services they would do a good engine flush before replacing the oil. That dealership would use the Bilstein version if I remember correctly.

In my book turbos are the in thing again to produce power and keep the horse power up.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back